Thread: Sunshine State News - Open Carry Advocates Gearing Up in 5 States

Moderator / Administrator

Sunshine State News - Open Carry Advocates Gearing Up in 5 States

http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/blo...luding-florida

SNIP

Open Carry Advocates Gearing Up in 5 States Including Florida
    Kevin Derby's blog | Posted: November 10, 2010 7:21 AM
    . . . Second Amendment advocates continue to promote changing laws in Florida to allow citizens to openly carry holstered handguns. Open carry was legal in Florida until 1987 when Janet Reno, then an assistant state attorney in South Florida, lobbied the Legislature to ban the practice save in some situations -- namely hunting, fishing and at firing ranges.

“The Janet Reno open carry ban will be repealed,” said Sean Caranna of Florida Open Carry.

Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Scott vowed to change the law during the campaign and Second Amendment advocates are expecting open carry to pass in 2011. . . .

“Open carry will be legalized in Oklahoma in the next legislative session, and probably Florida as well,” said John Pierce, a spokesman for OpenCarry.org. “Once that happens, South Carolina, Texas, and Arkansas will probably follow suit.”

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar

Good news.

Sometimes baby steps; sometimes giant ones.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

From OC to CC

If open carry laws change for five more states, can Constitutional Carry be far behind? I hope not! It's a great time for the 2A and the RKBA.
    Check out my home page @ www.alabamaopencarry.com and Carry On!

Lightbulb

In order that we be able to distinguish between CC (concealed carry) and constitutional carry, I submit that the latter be referred to as C/C
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    In order that we be able to distinguish between CC (concealed carry) and constitutional carry, I submit that the latter be referred to as C/C
    Do we need a quorum? I will second that motion.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Do we need a quorum? I will second that motion.
    So recorded.

I would call for the question - it appears that we already have a majority (100%) of the voting members present.

I'll add yet another piece to the pile I've already created and say again;

If OC ever happens in FL, and I very much doubt it will, I will be pleased as punch to eat every word I've spoken to the contrary. Literally print it out and I'll eat it with a smile.

But, that's not gonna happen. Florida is New Jersey with Palm Trees. Green is a long-shot maybe, but never Gold.

While one of the first bills recorded for this session of the Texas Legislature was a copy of HB 1070 (which I like), there has yet to be a bill recorded for OC, to my knowledge. Hopefully our letter writing compaign to the politicians will produce results soon.

open carry in florida

I will believe Open Carry in Florida when,and Only when I see it.

Quote Originally Posted by krazykeny View Post
    I will believe Open Carry in Florida when,and Only when I see it.

It is the way it used to be and will be again, I believe.

The more people that get on board, the quicker it will happen - that and various court cases working there way through the system will help greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by One_Shot View Post
    Hopefully our letter writing compaign to the politicians will produce results soon.
    I concur.

If everyone, and I do mean everyone, who stumbles across this thread, were to write to their state legislator, it'd be a done deal.

Yes, it's nice to air your concerns here, but if you don't air them where it'll do some good, you're wasting your time and breath.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.