• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Sunshine State News - Open Carry Advocates Gearing Up in 5 States

Mike

Site Co-Founder
http://www.sunshinestatenews.com/blog/open-carry-advocates-gearing-5-states-including-florida

SNIP

Open Carry Advocates Gearing Up in 5 States Including Florida
Kevin Derby's blog | Posted: November 10, 2010 7:21 AM
. . . Second Amendment advocates continue to promote changing laws in Florida to allow citizens to openly carry holstered handguns. Open carry was legal in Florida until 1987 when Janet Reno, then an assistant state attorney in South Florida, lobbied the Legislature to ban the practice save in some situations -- namely hunting, fishing and at firing ranges.

“The Janet Reno open carry ban will be repealed,” said Sean Caranna of Florida Open Carry.

Republican gubernatorial candidate Rick Scott vowed to change the law during the campaign and Second Amendment advocates are expecting open carry to pass in 2011. . . .

“Open carry will be legalized in Oklahoma in the next legislative session, and probably Florida as well,” said John Pierce, a spokesman for OpenCarry.org. “Once that happens, South Carolina, Texas, and Arkansas will probably follow suit.”

AL Ranger

From OC to CC

If open carry laws change for five more states, can Constitutional Carry be far behind? I hope not! It's a great time for the 2A and the RKBA.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In order that we be able to distinguish between CC (concealed carry) and constitutional carry, I submit that the latter be referred to as C/C

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
I'll add yet another piece to the pile I've already created and say again;

If OC ever happens in FL, and I very much doubt it will, I will be pleased as punch to eat every word I've spoken to the contrary. Literally print it out and I'll eat it with a smile.

But, that's not gonna happen. Florida is New Jersey with Palm Trees. Green is a long-shot maybe, but never Gold.

SemperFiTexan

While one of the first bills recorded for this session of the Texas Legislature was a copy of HB 1070 (which I like), there has yet to be a bill recorded for OC, to my knowledge. Hopefully our letter writing compaign to the politicians will produce results soon.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
I will believe Open Carry in Florida when,and Only when I see it.

It is the way it used to be and will be again, I believe.

The more people that get on board, the quicker it will happen - that and various court cases working there way through the system will help greatly.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Hopefully our letter writing compaign to the politicians will produce results soon.

I concur.

If everyone, and I do mean everyone, who stumbles across this thread, were to write to their state legislator, it'd be a done deal.

Yes, it's nice to air your concerns here, but if you don't air them where it'll do some good, you're wasting your time and breath.