• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Minneapolis Police spokesman reacts to sight of legally holstered firearm.

Fuller Malarkey

From: http://www.familymattersii.com/press/press_release_20101105.pdf
For Immediate Release:

Minneapolis Police Spokesman Under Criminal Investigation

MINNEAPOLIS, Minnesota (November 05, 2010) -

Sergeant William Palmer, the Minneapolis Police Department Spokesman, is under investigation for assaulting Joel Rosenberg, a local self-defense activist, in the waiting
room of the office of Timothy Dolan, Minneapolis Police Chief this afternoon at approximately 130PM. Rosenberg and his wife, Felicia Herman, had arrived at the office by previous arrangement with the suspect, Palmer, to examine the first of several Minnesota Government Data Practices Act responses that Rosenberg has submitted to the MPD and the City of Minneapolis. In addition to his responsibilities as police spokesman, Palmer is also the MPD's Data Practices Officer.

---Moderator Edited--
(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

He has a web presence:

http://jewwithagun.com/

http://twincitiescarry.com/

http://ellegon.com/

http://journal.twincitiescarry.com/

This high profile citizen is no stranger to the Minneapolis Police department, nor is the fact that he practices his and is an activist for, Second Amendment Rights. It was the sole reason for his presence that day at the Chief's office.

It seems Rosenberg has some personal safety concerns since the incident:

http://www.familymattersii.com/open_letter.php

Now I believe this was probably penned by Rosenberg himself or a close associate. Nothing appears in the main stream media regarding this incident. I am sure that more will be forth coming as this second amendment activist pursues remedy, policy change and retribution for these actions.

Fuller Malarkey

Do you have a non-propagandized source on which we can rely for an objective report?

No I don't. I can't find anything independently submitted or corroborated. Nothing appears in main stream media. My OP can do little more than serve as notice of an incident, food for speculation. I will diligently follow and post anything independent that surfaces. In the meantime, it is only a call for attention to a possible legal can of worms.

eye95

So, if I reported a story about being assaulted by a police officer and there was no objective confirmation, you'd start a thread about it? So everyone would be able to think about my story???

OK...

Moving on.

merle

Sure why not.

As people dispute it, the thread gets bumped to the top. Wait for the inevitable person to post an inane comment just to get a +1 count and necro-post just to keep it interesting.

The internet and post counts were made for threads like this.

Or we could just let it die w/o any factual "objective" information.

Fuller Malarkey

I believe the last paragraph of the OP noted that there was nothing to corroborate the story, I did not present it as gospel. Mr. Rosenberg is well known in his region, and I believe has credibility. The submission was to bring attention to the incident. Make of the press release what you will.

Coded-Dude

Palmer admitted, in front of Rosenberg, two witnesses, and a video camera, that he had done so out of a belief
that it was somehow unlawful for Rosenberg, a permit holder, firearms instructor and the author of Everything
You Need to Know About (Legally) Carrying a Handgun in Minnesota, to carry in Minneapolis City Hall, and
threatened Rosenberg with the loss of his carry permit -- something that Palmer has neither the authority to
threaten nor to do -- and with arrest.

Where's the video?

eye95

I believe the last paragraph of the OP noted that there was nothing to corroborate the story, I did not present it as gospel. Mr. Rosenberg is well known in his region, and I believe has credibility. The submission was to bring attention to the incident. Make of the press release what you will.

Frankly, the way the account has been propagandized up (and repeated word-for-word on site after site, gussied up as a "news release"), Rosenberg has zero credibility with me. If the video is ever produced I expect to see the kind of ballet you get from a punter when a lineman gets too close after the kick.

Until there is a 3rd party, impartial verification or until we hear both sides, I am calling BS on this one.

KBCraig

---Moderator Edited--
(11) RESPECT COPYRIGHT HOLDERS: We often share news stories with one another. Please remember that these stories are copyrighted material and only post a fair-use excerpt along with a link where the rest of the story may be read.

*ahem*, Mr. Moderator, it was a press release, which by definition is designed to be copied and disseminated as widely as possible.

zack991

So, if I reported a story about being assaulted by a police officer and there was no objective confirmation, you'd start a thread about it? So everyone would be able to think about my story???

OK...

Moving on.

Well it is done all the time on here. For example of the member who shot the pitbull who "charged at him" and shot the dog dead, yet had zero evidence of the event and was unable to show any simple news article or police report. Anyone who has been involved with the breed or have drawn or fired their weapon knows you WILL have a police report of said incident. As well as the media eats up any bad pit bull storys true or not, mush less a shooting. Yet you participated in that thread with no more then the OP word on what happened. Why is this any different, because it involves a police officer. I agree we need an independent report of the issue but don't dismiss one thread and not others. It is one thing to stand by this premieres on all incidents than nick pick the ones that involve the police. Just saying.....

*ahem*, Mr. Moderator, it was a press release, which by definition is designed to be copied and disseminated as widely as possible.

As for this as long as its only a tiny part of the article and gives credit to the proper owners with the original link they will be legally ok.

Last edited:

Michigander

Do you have a non-propagandized source on which we can rely for an objective report?

In my experience, this is pretty much business as usual in the states struggling to regain their rights, particularly in those cases where OCers go directly to PD's to complain or pick up documents. Not that it's rampant, but it is common among seriously crazed officers or entire PD's with top down criminal operations.

This could theoretically be fake or slanted, but in my opinion the story is far too tame to be made up. Much crazier things happen fairly regularly, and never get reported, or at least they haven't been yet. If someone were to let's say make up a story to enact revenge, it would be wise to make it far more intense than this.

There are 2 very sound reasons why information about these types of incidents should be limited. First, a video or other solid proof of felonious actions by renegade cops is similar in metaphorical nature to a bomb, and as such it shouldn't be detonated without a reason. Blabbing about every detail is a mistake. It can endanger future lawsuits, and it can also anger a PD which otherwise might have worked with you to fix the problems it caused. Less important to us, but still a factor is that mainstream news agents don't like to anger their contacts with PD's by exposing crimes of officers.

I won't say I believe this story without solid proof, but then I don't doubt any part of it either.

Last edited:

eye95

The difference being that we get into a discussion with the person here (unless he is a one-hit wonder or a troll) and can judge his credibility. In this case we have some shills reposting "press releases" that have been plastered all over the Internet word-for-word, as if any credible journalist would touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Clearly, we are being used by this guy to get his story out as widely as possible before an unbiased version or the opposing version can see the light of day.

If this guy has any stones, he comes on here personally and talks with us instead of sending others touting his "press release."

"Press release," what a freakin' joke!

BS

SFCRetired

The difference being that we get into a discussion with the person here (unless he is a one-hit wonder or a troll) and can judge his credibility. In this case we have some shills reposting "press releases" that have been plastered all over the Internet word-for-word, as if any credible journalist would touch it with a ten-foot pole.

Clearly, we are being used by this guy to get his story out as widely as possible before an unbiased version or the opposing version can see the light of day.

If this guy has any stones, he comes on here personally and talks with us instead of sending others touting his "press release."

"Press release," what a freakin' joke!

BS

+10000000000

kwikrnu

Banned
Sounds like Rosenberg is a cop basher and someone who is attempting to entrap a cop. Why else would he be armed with a couple of guns and several knives?

skidmark

Campaign Veteran
is the video of the incident not released yet?

following the links to here http://www.familymattersii.com/ there is a really crappy video that appears to be a recording of the incident. Faces are not included - it looks as if someone set down a mini-camera hoping that it might pick up parts of something.

Either my box of wires has problems getting to the end of the video or after the incident the camera remains there unattended. Not sure which.

Anyhow, guy with a badge on his belt does act unsafely. Some arrogance displayed on both sides. Gun & ammo returned, which makes me scratch my head in wonder.

Fun to speculate, but not worth staying up late trying to put all the unknown pieces in place.

stay safe.

eye95

Is that it?????????

That's the assault????

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

What a loser this guy is. He sets up a situation trying to trap the cops. The officer acts very professionally. He may be wrong about where folks may carry. I don't know. But, at worst, he politely but incorrectly disarmed a man he genuinely believed was not allowed to carry in the police chief's office.

On the same page, Rosenberg relates (his version of) a story where he bests a hotel clerk. Ya know what I get out of that? The hotel clerk is a professional and Rosenberg is a jerk.

Rosenberg seems to have an overinflated sense of the power of his little blog.

Here is a thought: Was leaving the recording running after he left legal in MN? I would love it if someone familiar with MN recording law would weigh in. Even if MN is a one-party State, by Rosenberg not being there, he cannot be that one party. He surreptitiously recorded the receptionist while she thought the office was empty except for her. She had an expectation of privacy.

If possible, I think Rosenberg should be arrested for that crime!

Now he is going to use his power of the press on me. *shudder*