• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Portland City Council November 15th 5:15 Agenda

Maine CWP Training

"Skolnik said during Monday's hearing that no gun owner has a good reason for carrying a loaded weapon into an event at the Merrill Auditorium, the Portland Expo or the Cumberland County Civic Center."

Now -- remember this? SOURCE

Juvenile suspect arrested after police lock down Expo
Police called for a lockdown at the Portland Expo during a middle school track meet at 7:30 p.m. Saturday after a witness outside reported a person wearing camouflage was pointing a gun at the building.The witness said the suspect entered a Park Avenue residence. With the help of residents, police located a juvenile and found several rifles that looked realistic but were determined to be toys. No firearms were found in the home, police said.
The juvenile was charged with terrorizing. The Exposition building was in lockdown for about an hour.

I was there, and felt absolutely foolish. I had a number of serviceable handguns AT HOME. I had a permit. I had none with me, and the "guards" at the expo were NOT armed. We were defenseless, and all the "guards" could / would tell us is to stay away from the glass in the lobby.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
"Skolnik said during Monday's hearing that no gun owner has a good reason for carryin

"Skolnik said during Monday's hearing that no gun owner has a good reason for carrying a loaded weapon into an event at the Merrill Auditorium, the Portland Expo or the Cumberland County Civic Center."

Now -- remember this? SOURCE

Juvenile suspect arrested after police lock down Expo

One hour total response time is not that bad.............unless seconds count. :uhoh:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
You can carry in city hall if you're not a prohibited person.

No, I was suggesting we have an event.

I think he knew that, but was probably nicely saying that staging a demonstration (kind of in their face) for a proposal that is going no where will do nothing but aggravate others and would do little to show the local citizenry that you are just desirous of being responsible, normal citizens.

ep0k

I think he knew that, but was probably nicely saying that staging a demonstration (kind of in their face) for a proposal that is going no where will do nothing but aggravate others and would do little to show the local citizenry that you are just desirous of being responsible, normal citizens.

Shane and I are planning some stuff that will be way bigger than a half a dozen guys standing around protesting a resolution that ultimately means little to nothing other than a symbolic loss for gun rights.

crdonov

Shane and I are planning some stuff that will be way bigger than a half a dozen guys standing around protesting a resolution that ultimately means little to nothing other than a symbolic loss for gun rights.

sorry i couldnt be there last night!!! please let me know what you guys are planning. hopefully i can help out!!!

xd-over

Maine CWP Training

Our View: Portland's gun resolution empty answer to non-issue

Open-carry of firearms is not a public safety problem that deserves so much attention.

One thing you can say about Portland City Council's resolution calling for a state law to ban the open carry of firearms in any publically owned facility where mass gatherings are held is that it was appropriate.

The Council took a non-problem and responded with a non-solution.

READ MORE

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Our View: Portland's gun resolution empty answer to non-issue

Open-carry of firearms is not a public safety problem that deserves so much attention.

One thing you can say about Portland City Council's resolution calling for a state law to ban the open carry of firearms in any publically owned facility where mass gatherings are held is that it was appropriate.

The Council took a non-problem and responded with a non-solution.

READ MORE

This Op-Ed accurately points out that the Portland City Council has wasted everyone's time and energy. The failure is in suggesting that "out of towners" have less rights under the Maine Constitution than do Portlanders and that by exercising those rights you are "overreacting (and) attention-starved." One must presume that the founding fathers were similarly misdirected miscreants.

Have you ever wondered why the concern/fear about guns being seen as opposed to concealed, which implies that OC is dangerous? Reminds one of the ostrich with it's head buried - if it can't be seen, they're happy. There seems to be a greater concern with legal, responsible citizens going about their normal lives, than with criminals who by the nature of their trade hide their guns.

Indeed, all of this hoopla validates what you are doing as being an effective means to advance public awareness and thereby secure and defend your right to defend yourself.

ep0k

This Op-Ed accurately points out that the Portland City Council has wasted everyone's time and energy. The failure is in suggesting that "out of towners" have less rights under the Maine Constitution than do Portlanders and that by exercising those rights you are "overreacting (and) attention-starved." One must presume that the founding fathers were similarly misdirected miscreants.

Have you ever wondered why the concern/fear about guns being seen as opposed to concealed, which implies that OC is dangerous? Reminds one of the ostrich with it's head buried - if it can't be seen, they're happy. There seems to be a greater concern with legal, responsible citizens going about their normal lives, than with criminals who by the nature of their trade hide their guns.

Indeed, all of this hoopla validates what you are doing as being an effective means to advance public awareness and thereby secure and defend your right to defend yourself.

You basically just wrote the short version of what I'm going to send to the editor.

ep0k

Will be sending this out later. Anyone have constructive criticism?

To The Editor:

In response to “Our View” for November 17th, 2010 (“Portland's Gun Resolution Empty Answer To Non Issue”), I would like to address some points which I feel are relevant.

While I agree that the resolution is a non-solution to a non-issue, and said so to the council during Monday night's meeting, it is still a symbolic loss for gun rights. Councilor Leeman, in her comments, hit the nail on the head: this is an issue for legislators to debate in the capitol. She was the only dissenting vote on the measure.

The resolution which was passed does not call for the legislature to craft a ban on open carry, as you stated in your first paragraph, but a ban on all firearms in these amorphously-defined “publicly owned facilities where mass gatherings occur”. There is no exception for concealed firearm permit holders. As the resolution asks for such measures to be applied state-wide, and not just in Portland, it is in the interest of “out of towners” to state our case clearly to the Council.

Characterizing open carriers as attention-starved activists who march around at 2nd Amendment rallies is a glaring oversimplification of what the open carry movement represents. For many of us, myself included, open carry is a daily routine. Unfortunately, “man open carries in grocery store, buys milk” doesn't pull in the ratings the way “activists bring guns to city hall” does.

Stating that “open carry is a bad idea (which is why so few gun owners do it)” is simply an argument from popularity, an easily identifiable logical fallacy. There are many good reasons to open carry from a self-defense perspective (readers curious about this line of reasoning can find the essay “The Open Carry Argument” on our website).

Guns are unfairly maligned in the media and have become associated with criminals and outlaws. Part of MOCA's mission is to make people aware that the overwhelming majority of gun owners (well over 99.99%) are safe, responsible, law-abiding citizens. I should not be ashamed that I own and carry a firearm daily. While the response is very mixed when I do so in City Hall, it might surprise a number of readers (and editors) how uneventful it is in my day to day interactions with people. The most common reaction is neither fear nor praise, but curiosity. Getting the public involved and and asking questions is a huge part of our long-term goal to remove the negative stigma associated with guns.

Thank you,
Forrest Brown
Maine Open Carry Association
http://maineopencarry.org

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Very well written and thought out letter.

The only suggestion I would have is to drop the reference to "it is still a symbolic loss for gun rights."

In the many battles you will fight to win this war, that was not even a skirmish. I just would not give them the slightest satisfaction of feeling like they got to you even a little. Their little charade was less than whistling in a windstorm - and it afforded you the opportunity to practice your oratory skills at no cost.

You guys with your feet on the ground up there are developing a positive reputation.

Maine CWP Training

Every person in opposition spoke of Article 1 Section 16 of the Maine Constitution. Every Councilor failed to address Maine's Constitution in their opposition.

Any sponsor of this "Resolution" will be brought up on House Ethics charges for sponsoring unconstitutional legislation. PjM