• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A very merry Open Carry Christmas get-together Johnson Creek Sunday December 12

comp45acp

Unfortunately out here near the mall we are in the 6-10 inch range on the NWS forecast.

They have been wrong before and hopefully they are again.

phred

I was planning to come to the event from the Wausau area IF the weather and roads cooperate. I would appreciate a heads-up tomorrow morning (say by 10 AM) if you guys and gals in the Madison-Milwaukee area think the situation is grim. Or, if someone decides to cancel or postpone the event, it would be nice to know early enough to not make the drive. We have 10+ inches here now and the wind is wicked.
Thanks a bunch or at least a couple of magazines full.

Jon Bonavia

Banned
3 products issued by NWS for: Milwaukee WI
Blizzard Warning

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MILWAUKEE/SULLIVAN WI
347 PM CST SAT DEC 11 2010

...BLIZZARD WARNING TONIGHT AND SUNDAY...

.A BLIZZARD WARNING HAS BEEN ISSUED FOR ALL OF SOUTH CENTRAL AND
SOUTHEAST WISCONSIN FOR TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY. A MIXTURE OF
WINTRY PRECIPITATION WILL QUICKLY CHANGE OVER TO ALL SNOW EARLY
THIS EVENING...BUT NOT UNTIL MIDNIGHT IN THE FAR SOUTHEAST.
MODERATE TO HEAVY SNOWFALL IS EXPECTED WITH SOME AREAS NORTH OF A
MILWAUKEE TO MADISON LINE LIKELY RECEIVING 12 TO 16 INCHES OF
SNOW.

OUR BIGGEST CONCERN IS THE POWERFUL NORTH WIND THAT WILL ARRIVE
BY MIDNIGHT NORTHWEST OF MADISON...AND TOWARD MORNING IN THE
SOUTHEAST. SUSTAINED NORTH WINDS OF 30 MPH WITH GUSTS OF 40 TO
50 MPH WILL CAUSE CRIPPLING WIDESPREAD BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW.
WHITEOUT CONDITIONS ARE LIKELY WITH MANY ROADS BECOMING
IMPASSABLE. EAST TO WEST ORIENTED ROADS WILL BE MOST IMPACTED.

http://forecast.weather.gov/showsig...place1=Milwaukee+WI&product1=Blizzard+Warning

MKEgal

"EAST TO WEST ORIENTED ROADS WILL BE MOST IMPACTED"

Like I-94? This is looking double plus ungood.
I'm willing to wait & evaluate in the AM, then decide, but would happily postpone a week.
Roads should be cleared by then, right?

Or if someone in the MKE area can swing by on their snowmobile & give me a ride... Google says it's only an hour under normal conditions. That's what - 2 hours on a snowmobile? Each way. Hmmm. Staying here warm with the cats is sounding better & better.

Last edited:

XDFDE45

@MKEgal;
Latest from The Weather Channel is saying 4-6 tonight followed by another 2-4 tomorrow and switching to light snow showers/flurries in the afternoon. May be some time before the roads around town are cleared up.

Jason in WI

I hope someone brings one of those whiz-bang type phones with the net and keeps us updated on the game! I will be trying my hardest to be there but, if I need sled dogs it will be a no-go (I only have cats).

CenTex

If any of you go, make darn sure you carry some coats and blankets in your cars. You don't want to be stopped on a highway without some extra protection. You may have to turn your car off if you are up to the muffler in the snow. My wife lost a cousin and her husband while they were traveling on their honeymoon. They had married that day. They were in their early twenties. He left the car running and the two of them died. True story.

Merry Christmas to you all...and travel smartly.

Last edited:

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
My dog kept coming back to the door and barking to be let in without doing his business. Finally he found a spot under my deck stairs and tinkled. Then he ran back and barked again without doing the other half of the deal. I realized he couldn't find snow shallow enough to do it so I had to clear him a spot.

I'm not sure how deep the snow actually is without the drifting but its pretty nasty out there. My dog isn't small either, about the size of a labrador. As of now, I think it would be less than smart for me to plan on going to the party.

And yes, I said tinkle.....:lol:

Last edited:

BROKENSPROKET

As of now, I think it would be less than smart for me to plan on going to the party.

I agree. It would be wise to stay close to home today.

I am going to put on my snowshoes and go for a hike. I suppose, since I would have to wear blayze orange, I might as well take the rifle with me.

Last edited:

springfield 1911

Founder's Club Member
My dog kept coming back to the door and barking to be let in without doing his business. Finally he found a spot under my deck stairs and tinkled. Then he ran back and barked again without doing the other half of the deal. I realized he couldn't find snow shallow enough to do it so I had to clear him a spot.

I'm not sure how deep the snow actually is without the drifting but its pretty nasty out there. My dog isn't small either, about the size of a labrador. As of now, I think it would be less than smart for me to plan on going to the party.

Why is your smiley face yellow? your dog didn't did he while you weren't looking . HA! HA!

comp45acp

I have to agree, we should probably call it off for today. NWS is predicting near blizzard conditions with winds up to 45 mph for today. State Patrol is saying stay off the highways unless you have to be out. I haven't been out to clean the driveway yet but the drifts are high and the little town road I live on is not passable.

Mlutz

My lab and Apbt jump to get moving through it, and then when they do "the other half" (Lol) they just do it. You have one spoiled pup there Brass.

To keep this on topic though, is the party going to be moved to next weekend or another date?

phred

To keep this on topic though, is the party going to be moved to next weekend or another date?

The Wisconsin Department of Transportation along with the State Patrol is advising motorists not to travel on any Wisconsin highway now through Sunday, unless absolutely necessary. The National Weather Service has issued Winter Storm and Blizzard Warnings in most counties around the state until Sunday morning. Heavy snow combined with high winds and dangerous wind chills, has led to white-out conditions in many areas, limiting visibility for motorists. This storm will continue to move through the state, with areas in the south and east expected to be impacted throughout the night and day on Sunday.
Data Last Updated: 12/12/10 8:09 AM

It is not wise to travel

LR Yote 312

Looks to be a good day to sort some brass and make bullets.

So far I have 90rds of Rem brass trimmed and ready to prime.
100 rds of Win brass tumbled,need to deprimed and resized,and trimmed
and another 100 rds of left over load workup rounds to pull the
bullets and recharge.

LR Yote

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
On my way!

Roads are dry, sunny out. Clear sailing! I might sit on the deck and work on my tan later.

I wish!

Just took a pass with the blower through my driveway. Due to the wind, snow varies from about 3 inches to up to my knees, depending on the spot. I live on a cul de sac and the city doesn't plow it until the end, which may mean tonight or tomorrow morning. I need to run for city council, just to get my street plowed. The street itself looks deep-- heavy wet, semi-frozen making up the bottom few inches and with a somewhat more dry top layer, so at this point I can drive to the end of my driveway.

Our 14lb dog gave me a "what the hell is this?" look.

Stay home if you can and be safe and dry everyone!

XDFDE45

The amount of snow we were supposed to get here in Milwaukee was lowered quite a bit but it's still blowing like mad and the streets are pretty slippery right now. For safety sake it's probably best for people to stay in today. Although I am bummed, was looking forward to meeting many of you today :(
EDIT: The roof of the Metrodome collapsed http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_winter_storm_midwest

Last edited:

Jason in WI

For safety sake it's probably best for people to stay in today. Although I am bummed, was looking forward to meeting many of you today :(

I agree. As much as I wanted to go I think I'll just stay in and snuggle :). I was looking forward to seeing all you guys from up north and out west that I never see but it looks like that's where the storm hit the hardest. If you do go out, stay safe!

EDIT: The roof of the Metrodome collapsed
There's a Favre joke in here somewhere.

Last edited: