• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Getting a CCW Non-Resident Permit

whatwouldyoudo

How exactly would I go about getting a non-resident permit from Indiana? I live in Utah where we reciprocate (both states honor one another's permits) Indiana. I would get a Utah permit, but age is playing into it. I'm not 21, but I would like to carry and I really like your states laws. I would rather not have to go out there to take a class and fill out all the paperwork and whatnot, but I will do whatever needs to be done. Can anyone tell me what I have to do to get one?

mrjam2jab

I could be mistaken, but I don't believe IN has a non-resident permit. Later, Bob

This is correct. IN does not issue to non-residents unless you work in the state.

IC 35-47-2-3
Application for license to carry handgun; procedure
Sec. 3. (a) A person desiring a license to carry a handgun shall apply:
(1) to the chief of police or corresponding law enforcement officer of the municipality in which the applicant resides;
(2) if that municipality has no such officer, or if the applicant does not reside in a municipality, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant resides after the applicant has obtained an application form prescribed by the superintendent; or
(3) if the applicant is a resident of another state and has a regular place of business or employment in Indiana, to the sheriff of the county in which the applicant has a regular place of business or employment.

Skippy

I presume that the reason they don't have non-res licenses is that they recognize the licenses and permits from all other states and foreign governments.

IC 35-47-2-21
Recognition of retail dealers' licenses and licenses to carry handguns issued by other states
Sec. 21. (a) Retail dealers' licenses issued by other states or foreign countries will not be recognized in Indiana except for sales at wholesale.
(b) Licenses to carry handguns, issued by other states or foreign countries, will be recognized according to the terms thereof but only while the holders are not residents of Indiana.
As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32.