View Poll Results: What is your preferred brand of factory range ammunition?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Winchester

8 21.05%
  • Remington/UMC

4 10.53%
  • Blazer/Speer

4 10.53%
  • PMC

3 7.89%
  • Fiocchi

1 2.63%
  • Sellier & Bellot

1 2.63%
  • Magtech

2 5.26%
  • Federal/American Eagle

5 13.16%
  • Whatever is cheapest

14 36.84%
  • None, I load my own ammo

11 28.95%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: A Poll on Preferred Range Ammunition

A Poll on Preferred Range Ammunition

I'd like to know what brand of range ammunition is most popular. I realize that these choices may not be ideal, but they should be sufficient enough for the purpose of this poll.
    Last edited by cbpeck; 11-10-2010 at 07:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    I'd like to know what brand of range ammunition is most popular. I realize that these choices may not be ideal, but they should be sufficient enough for the purpose of this poll.
    Cheap beats name

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    My favorites depend on which gun I'm shooting. In my 10/22 I like the Federal 40 gr. LRN for accuracy. The 36 gr, copper plated HP is almost as good.

For my .380 and my .45acp, I like either Magtech or PMC for reliable feeding. I've never had issues with either one of those.

For my New Model Convertible Blackhawk in .38/.357/9mm I use what I can get. It's a revolver and feeding isn't an issue. That holds true for the Uberti replica Colt SAA .45 as well, for the most pat, although I will note here that I bought a box of Winchester .45 ammo that had a couple of rounds that hadn't been sufficiently crimped.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by Bookman View Post
    I will note here that I bought a box of Winchester .45 ammo that had a couple of rounds that hadn't been sufficiently crimped.
    Interesting you say this. The other day I shot some Winchester white box .45 from Wal-Mart and had some issues. I didn't look closely enough at the ammo to tell if the rounds were properly crimped (probably should have), but several rounds out of the box, almost right next to each other, FTF in my Kimber. I've probably put 3k rds through that gun over the past three years and it has never - not once - failed to feed or failed to eject anything I fed it. Furthermore, I followed the Winchester up with some UMC ammo and it functioned perfectly.

That Winchester ammo is dirty too. I've said it before, but this time I think I mean it... I won't buy WWB again.

Bump.

Fussy about carry and hunting ammo but practice ammo is whatever is available and cheapest. On the range I can afford a few fail to loads or fail to fires, good practice in clearing your weapon if nothing else but when the flag is flying I want everything to go.

cheapest ammo for me.

if my gun will gladly feed dirt cheap ammo, then higher quality ammo should be of no issue, IMO
    Taurus PT1911 .45 ACP. Carried in condition 1, with a total of 25 rounds.

Vice President of Students for Concealed Carry on Campus, ECU Chapter

Cheapest available works for me, which seems to be the red box of Federal for the pistols and the Remington green box of 550 rds for .22LR. The .40 S&W seems to be fine but the 9mm Federal always has a bunch of carbon landing on my shooting hand after about 10-12 rounds fired. I don't think it's the design of the XD(M) that is the contributing factor as I've fired the same brand ammo out of my friend's .40 XD(M) and it didn't have this problem.

I don't load practice ammunition. I load for every handgun caliber I have and every rifle caliber that I use on a regular basis.

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    No option for Georgia Arms - factory reloads.
    http://www.georgia-arms.com/
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

I usually buy factory reloads for plinking....or whatever is cheapest.
    Last edited by Coded-Dude; 11-15-2010 at 03:19 PM.
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

"Whatever's cheapest," provided it's brass-cartridged FMJ so that it feeds reliably.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    It was difficult narrowing down the numerous options of ammunition to just 10. I figured that most factory reloads fall into the "whatever's cheapest" category, but I suppose this doesn't address the possibility that one choses to shoot a specific type of reload for reasons beyond price (i.e. cleanliness, availability, etc).

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cbpeck View Post
    It was difficult narrowing down the numerous options of ammunition to just 10. I figured that most factory reloads fall into the "whatever's cheapest" category, but I suppose this doesn't address the possibility that one choses to shoot a specific type of reload for reasons beyond price (i.e. cleanliness, availability, etc).
    Actually a very commendable job - there is a such a wide array when you get into factory reloads.

Georgia Arms manufactures high quality, consistent, clean shooting ammo in various loadings, but is likely not as accessible to some as it is to me - they come to local shows, so I can call ahead and save the freight by picking up there - effectively lowering the price.
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training. Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

cast my own bullets and load my own ammo save money to buy more gun stuff.
    .45 auto 200 grain semi wad cutter
    .357 Mag/.38 spec. 158 grain semi wad cutter
    30-06 Lyman 308329, 311466
    303 British Lyman 308329
    7.62 by 54 R Lee 160 grain cast bullet
    Last edited by dukenukum; 11-18-2010 at 03:15 PM.

Actually a very commendable job - there is a such a wide array when you get into factory reloads.

Georgia Arms manufactures high quality, consistent, clean shooting ammo in various loadings, but is likely not as accessible to some as it is to me - they come to local shows, so I can call ahead and save the freight by picking up there - effectively lowering the price.
    You're not the only one.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member

Bump.

Let's see...

1. Whatever's cheapest
    2. Load your own
    3. Winchester

You know what's funny? I like to plink, but just not all that much. Even if I had an unlimited supply of firearms and ammo, along with free range time and targets, I'd still hit the range only four to six times a year. How often are most LEOs required to practice? FBI field agents? Air Marshals? Others?

What I enjoy most about going to the range is staying proficient, but that's accomplished with just three or four magazines (16 rounds ea). Beyond that, or any more often than two or three months, the fun wears thin.
    The First protects the Second, and the Second protects the First. Together, they protect the rest of our Bill of Rights and our United States Constitution, and help We the People protect ourselves in the spirit of our Declaration of Independence.