• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

A Poll on Preferred Range Ammunition

What is your preferred brand of factory range ammunition?

• Total voters

cbpeck

I'd like to know what brand of range ammunition is most popular. I realize that these choices may not be ideal, but they should be sufficient enough for the purpose of this poll.

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
My favorites depend on which gun I'm shooting. In my 10/22 I like the Federal 40 gr. LRN for accuracy. The 36 gr, copper plated HP is almost as good.

For my .380 and my .45acp, I like either Magtech or PMC for reliable feeding. I've never had issues with either one of those.

For my New Model Convertible Blackhawk in .38/.357/9mm I use what I can get. It's a revolver and feeding isn't an issue. That holds true for the Uberti replica Colt SAA .45 as well, for the most pat, although I will note here that I bought a box of Winchester .45 ammo that had a couple of rounds that hadn't been sufficiently crimped.

cbpeck

I will note here that I bought a box of Winchester .45 ammo that had a couple of rounds that hadn't been sufficiently crimped.

Interesting you say this. The other day I shot some Winchester white box .45 from Wal-Mart and had some issues. I didn't look closely enough at the ammo to tell if the rounds were properly crimped (probably should have), but several rounds out of the box, almost right next to each other, FTF in my Kimber. I've probably put 3k rds through that gun over the past three years and it has never - not once - failed to feed or failed to eject anything I fed it. Furthermore, I followed the Winchester up with some UMC ammo and it functioned perfectly.

That Winchester ammo is dirty too. I've said it before, but this time I think I mean it... I won't buy WWB again.

Old Grump

Fussy about carry and hunting ammo but practice ammo is whatever is available and cheapest. On the range I can afford a few fail to loads or fail to fires, good practice in clearing your weapon if nothing else but when the flag is flying I want everything to go.

onlurker

Cheapest available works for me, which seems to be the red box of Federal for the pistols and the Remington green box of 550 rds for .22LR. The .40 S&W seems to be fine but the 9mm Federal always has a bunch of carbon landing on my shooting hand after about 10-12 rounds fired. I don't think it's the design of the XD(M) that is the contributing factor as I've fired the same brand ammo out of my friend's .40 XD(M) and it didn't have this problem.

cbpeck

No option for Georgia Arms - factory reloads. :cry:
http://www.georgia-arms.com/

It was difficult narrowing down the numerous options of ammunition to just 10. I figured that most factory reloads fall into the "whatever's cheapest" category, but I suppose this doesn't address the possibility that one choses to shoot a specific type of reload for reasons beyond price (i.e. cleanliness, availability, etc).

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
No option for Georgia Arms - factory reloads. :cry:
http://www.georgia-arms.com/

It was difficult narrowing down the numerous options of ammunition to just 10. I figured that most factory reloads fall into the "whatever's cheapest" category, but I suppose this doesn't address the possibility that one choses to shoot a specific type of reload for reasons beyond price (i.e. cleanliness, availability, etc).

Actually a very commendable job - there is a such a wide array when you get into factory reloads.

Georgia Arms manufactures high quality, consistent, clean shooting ammo in various loadings, but is likely not as accessible to some as it is to me - they come to local shows, so I can call ahead and save the freight by picking up there - effectively lowering the price. :D

dukenukum

cast my own bullets and load my own ammo save money to buy more gun stuff.
.45 auto 200 grain semi wad cutter
.357 Mag/.38 spec. 158 grain semi wad cutter
30-06 Lyman 308329, 311466
303 British Lyman 308329
7.62 by 54 R Lee 160 grain cast bullet

Last edited:

sultan62

Actually a very commendable job - there is a such a wide array when you get into factory reloads.

Georgia Arms manufactures high quality, consistent, clean shooting ammo in various loadings, but is likely not as accessible to some as it is to me - they come to local shows, so I can call ahead and save the freight by picking up there - effectively lowering the price. :D

You're not the only one. :)

since9

Campaign Veteran
Let's see...

1. Whatever's cheapest
2. Load your own
3. Winchester

You know what's funny? I like to plink, but just not all that much. Even if I had an unlimited supply of firearms and ammo, along with free range time and targets, I'd still hit the range only four to six times a year. How often are most LEOs required to practice? FBI field agents? Air Marshals? Others?

What I enjoy most about going to the range is staying proficient, but that's accomplished with just three or four magazines (16 rounds ea). Beyond that, or any more often than two or three months, the fun wears thin.