• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Question about what gun to get my wife

zx2mark

So I have been around this forum for about 2 months now and just finally created an account. My wife and I are interested in getting her a gun and were looking for some ideals about what kind to get her. Any suggestions would be great. She mention she wants something with a smaller grip (little hands).

Also on a side question how long did it take for you guys to get comfortable openly carry?

Squeak

Get her an XDM.40. That way if she doesn't like it, I'll take it!:banana:
Take her to a range and let her have a feel of different guns. She has to be comfy with it.

.45ACPaddy

Since you're already in Puyallup, take her to the Marksman, they have guns for rent. I believe it's $10 for the one time range safety class, per person, then the range use is $11 for all day, and rental is $12, which rents you all the guns in the cabinet, one at a time. You have to buy their ammo, though. Mondays the range use is $11 for two people, and on Wednesdays rental is free. Here's their page: http://www.themarksman.net/indoor_range.html

I've gone there before buying a few guns just to try them out and see whether I liked them or not. It's pretty convenient!

Deleted_User

Since you're already in Puyallup, take her to the Marksman, they have guns for rent. I believe it's $10 for the one time range safety class, per person, then the range use is $11 for all day, and rental is $12, which rents you all the guns in the cabinet, one at a time. You have to buy their ammo, though. Mondays the range use is $11 for two people, and on Wednesdays rental is free. Here's their page: http://www.themarksman.net/indoor_range.html

I've gone there before buying a few guns just to try them out and see whether I liked them or not. It's pretty convenient!

+1 The range safety course is available anytime of day as long as someone is working there. The rest of Paddy's information is correct. This is my "home range"

Beretta92FSLady

My partner, she shot a .44 magnum and loved it, and wants one, but let's get real. She has a G-26, but complains that even with the grip extension it pinched her the last two fingers on the grip...so she is seriously considering moving up to a G-19.

I am not sure if you are a .45-person or what, but you should consider what is going to be her likely primary mode of carry, purse, on her person, what...then determine if she is prone to limp-wristing, I have found through observation women seem to be more prone to that than men, but it can be worked out after a number of rounds fired. The 38 snub is small, light but really freaking snappy, and uncomfortable IMO.

I would recommend a G-19 3rd gen to save yourself a couple of bucks, 4th gen if you prefer new...night sights of course. It is a polymer, compact, parts are cheap, it shoots damn straight, and it is a pull-and-shoot sidearm. LCP maybe, but those things are small, and because of their size, a bit snappy IMO...you can also get a laser on them, but you can get a laser on the G-19.

I seen a woman on youtube, she is a tiny woman, who carries a 1911. They are bulky though...I think Ruby, on here, carries one also, but they are pricey. Here is a video of that lady that carries, I believe, a 1911. BTW, she is a hottie, nothing more beautiful than a woman who loves firearms...maybe a pregnant woman that loves firearms...OK, I am going to shut up now LOL

[video=youtube;1RLpiKFWYOU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RLpiKFWYOU&playnext=1&list=PLF084CB2207C0FB77&index=20[/video]

Plus, conversion kits have been hard to come by for Glocks, but I am sure eventually they will be back on the market. You can get a conversion kit for pretty cheap, about half the price of the sidearm, and she can shoot the hell out of it on the cheap, on the same frame, same everything, but the caliber.

Last edited:

zx2mark

I do go to the marksman, forgot all about the gun rentals there. I need to take her there and rent some and let her fire my Ruger SR9 and see how she likes it.

I am not sure if you are a .45-person or what, but you should consider what is going to be her likely primary mode of carry, purse, on her person, what...then determine if she is prone to limp-wristing, I have found through observation women seem to be more prone to that than men, but it can be worked out after a number of rounds fired. The 38 snub is small, light but really freaking snappy, and uncomfortable IMO.

She wants to carry it on her person (on the back) and carry it in her purse. I will have to check out the Marksman and see if they have a glock for her to try out and see how she likes it.

Last edited:

oldkim

How long???

how long did it take for you guys to get comfortable openly carry?

It depends... some take to it rather in a short time but many actually takes months and even years to feel comfortable to take the leap.

We all come to our decision at differing rates. Some factors are understanding the laws to a sufficient level for you to do it (no one wants to do the wrong thing or be embarrassed for it). Keep reading the forum post and look at the laws pertaining OC. Also what you will say to any LEO's or even someone that may confront you about OC.

There are a few "meet ups" - so keep reading and get involved.

Beretta92FSLady

Now this is just my opinion, but the biggest thing about deciding to carry is you have to know that if SHTF you will pull the trigger...if you have any doubts, you are endangering yourself and the people around you.

I would recommend to people that they read a lot about self-defense tactics, and such.

Ruby

I think taking her to the range and letting her shoot a variety of guns is the best thing to do. Maybe do that a couple of times if you can afford it. She needs a gun that is comfortable to shoot, that fits her hands well so she feels like she can control it, and something she isn't going to be afraid of. Those things are more important than who manufactures what.

Yes, I carry a 1911, a Dan Wesson Bobtail Commander in stainless steel. (I don't think it comes any other way.:lol: ) Yes, it's heavy and most of the time I carry it in my purse; can't OC all the time because of work. It was NOT my first gun; if I had shot a .45 first I probably wouldn't own a gun today. The recoil is considerable; however, I am used to it and handle it well now; can't imagine carrying anything else. The first pistol I shot for a few months was a little Walther .22. I really liked that little gun. It was a rental and I was going shooting just about every week. (Ah, those were the good old days, when I had money!) After a few months of that, I tried then bought a Smith & Wesson 9 mil compact. Very good carry gun. Small, light, (polymer frame) magazine is a short double stack, holds 12. After I got comfortable with that, I got up the nerve to shoot a .45, a Kimber. Loved it. Got my Dan Wesson in July of last year. I wrote out all this so you could see that it was a gradual journey, I didn't just pick up a .45 and start carrying. Everybody's experience with firearms is unique to them. I would recommend your wife start with a caliber she feels comfortable with and maybe move up to something heavier later. Don't forget revolvers, some people prefer them. Glocks are fine guns also, I personally don't care for them because of the lack of a manual safety and because the grips are too thick to fit my hands properly, but that's just me; some people love them.

She will know when she finds the right gun for her; nothing else will feel as good or shoot as good in her hands. The first time I shot a 1911, that was it for me; I knew I had found the gun I would carry. Good luck and have fun on this little journey of discovery!:lol:

.45ACPaddy

I once compared shooting a subcompact 9mm with a full size 1911. I actually thought the 1911 was far more comfortable to shoot because it wasn't as snappy. I'd get out and have her shoot at least a couple boxes worth of ammo.

Ruby

I once compared shooting a subcompact 9mm with a full size 1911. I actually thought the 1911 was far more comfortable to shoot because it wasn't as snappy. I'd get out and have her shoot at least a couple boxes worth of ammo.

Depends on the 1911. Some of them can be snappy also. My 9 is not a subcompact, but a compact. Something else to keep in mind, for the OP; you probably already know this, but the shorter the barrel the more muzzle flip or "snappiness." That's why I prefer stainless steel, it helps with the recoil. I bought a little .38 snubbie this year, Smith & Wesson, 2 inch barrel, in stainless steel; it is a pleasure to shoot due to the weight of the steel. Everyone has their druthers, she will discover hers, given time.

Dain Bramage

I bought a little .38 snubbie this year, Smith & Wesson, 2 inch barrel, in stainless steel; it is a pleasure to shoot due to the weight of the steel. Everyone has their druthers, she will discover hers, given time.

Finally, someone mentioned wheelguns. At the risk of sounding 100 years old, a revolver can be a very good defensive option.

My wife loves her S&W Model 431 with a Crimson Trace laser grip. Airweight, six shots of .32 H&R magnum, easy to slip in a pocket or purse. I like it so much, I often "borrow" it too.

Ruby

Finally, someone mentioned wheelguns. At the risk of sounding 100 years old, a revolver can be a very good defensive option.

My wife loves her S&W Model 431 with a Crimson Trace laser grip. Airweight, six shots of .32 H&R magnum, easy to slip in a pocket or purse. I like it so much, I often "borrow" it too.

I have never shot one, but have been told that Airweights have a lot of felt recoil. I am glad she has a gun she loves. That's one thing that is great about guns today; there are so many makes and models out there that there is a gun for everyone.:banana:

onlurker

As far as suggestions go, take a look at either a Taurus 709 or Kel-Tec PF-9 for small hands. One of the biggest problems I have with sub-compacts is a lot of the times they're double stack and even though I have manly hands, they just don't feel comfortable and I don't think they conceal as well as I would like. I have the Taurus model that my roommate, who has fairly small hands, has fired and finds it to be comfortable to handle once she got used to the recoil (completely new shooter).

I don't think I would suggest a revolver though. Had my roommate shoot my .38 snubby and she didn't like it at all, which I was expecting since it does bite into the hand a lot with it's 2-fingered grip. Between my .38 snubby and my uncles .357 snubby shooting .38 spl, she preferred the .357 because of the more full grip but still thought that was too much. Each person is different though so have her try it out herself, just don't be surprised if she doesn't like it.

Last edited:

cbpeck

I believe that the choice is ultimately up to her. You have the privilege of educating her on the subject, but when it comes time to buy, she needs to get something she is comfortable with. Probably the best way to get her the education is a trip to a range with a vast selection of rentals. If you find that your range in Puyallup doesn't have much of a selection you may consider a trip to Wade's Eastside Gun Shop & Range in Bellevue. They have an extensive rental list that may be viewed here:

http://www.wadesguns.com/rentals.html

All that being said, I used to carry a Beretta 85 (single stack .380) and have repeatedly heard the comment, "Don't take this the wrong way, but that'd be a great gun for a woman!" I know that .380 is a light load, but its better than a .40 or .45 with a slide that she isn't able to rack. Heck, I have a neighbor who just bought his wife who hasn't shot for over a decade an M&P 40 that she can't keep on paper at 5 yards. :uhoh: The recoil has caused her to develop a significant flinch. It goes to show that you can't just buy your spouse a gun and hope for the best. Education & practice is a must.

I still have the Beretta 85 and periodically pull it out of the safe to use as a next step up from .22 when teaching a newbie to shoot. Its a great little gun.

heresolong

Glad you didn't call the thread "what gun to get for my wife". My buddy has a bumper sticker that says "Got a gun for my wife. Best trade I ever made." :)

OT PS Got my wife a Taurus titanium 357, ported 4" barrel, seven shots. She loved it. Have your wife shoot lots of different guns. If necessary but lots of guns, have her shoot them all and the one she likes best becomes hers. The rest you keep for yourself.

Last edited:

zx2mark

I know I need to get her out and try differant guns..was just looking for ideals. Again thanks for all the suggestions.