• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Lest We Forget

SFCRetired

Ninety-two years ago today, at eleven in the morning, a silence that had not been for four long years fell over the battlefields of France. A young private of the Field Artillery, whose unit had been preparing to move to the front, never forgot that day. He always called it "Armistice Day", which is what it was for many years.

He was one of a generation that never, ever failed to render the proper honors when the flag went past. He was highly respectful of military, especially the officers, but was not in awe of them. He told one general officer, "You're the second general I've ever shaken hands with." When the general asked him who the first was, he replied, "Black Jack Pershing!"

From what I can find, there is only one remaining U.S. veteran of that war.

The one I've written about above was laid to rest on November 26, 1975; which also happened to be his thirty-third wedding anniversary. Honors were rendered by members of his Veterans of WWI post as his son stood by in the Army uniform that his Dad loved so much.