Thread: What are the firearm transport laws in Michigan?

What are the firearm transport laws in Michigan?

I understand that an Illinois resident may now open carry in Michigan with the Illinois Firearm Owners ID (FOID) card, but not in a vehicle. I am wondering what the transport laws are in Michigan. Illinois says unloaded encased and ammo can be with the firearm in the case, even loaded magazines with a FOID card. I imagine Michigan may be different. Our NRA state lobbyist says ours is one of the better transport laws. Transport can be most anywhere, some exceptions like bars, court houses. Any restrictions in Michigan like between home and range, gun dealer, hunting area etc.?

You can transport unloaded, and in a case. Ammo can be in the case and/or magazine just not loaded into the firearm. You can transport for any legal purpose, i.e. from a place you can legally possess to a place you can legally possess. Also remember when open carrying in Michigan you must follow MCL 750.234d. Pay close attention that you can not have your firearm on the premise of any of those places. The section referring to places licensed by the Liquor Control Commission means any place licensed to sell alcohol, not just bars.

750.234d Possession of firearm on certain premises prohibited; applicability; violation as misdemeanor;
    penalty.
    Sec. 234d. (1) Except as provided in subsection (2), a person shall not possess a firearm on the premises of any of the following:
    (a) A depository financial institution or a subsidiary or affiliate of a depository financial institution.
    (b) A church or other house of religious worship.
    (c) A court.
    (d) A theatre.
    (e) A sports arena.
    (f) A day care center.
    (g) A hospital.
    (h) An establishment licensed under the Michigan liquor control act, Act No. 8 of the Public Acts of the Extra Session of
    1933, being sections 436.1 to 436.58 of the Michigan Compiled Laws.
    (2) This section does not apply to any of the following:
    (a) A person who owns, or is employed by or contracted by, an entity described in subsection (1) if the possession of that
    firearm is to provide security services for that entity.
    (b) A peace officer.
    (c) A person licensed by this state or another state to carry a concealed weapon.
    (d) A person who possesses a firearm on the premises of an entity described in subsection (1) if that possession is with the
    permission of the owner or an agent of the owner of that entity.
    (3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a misdemeanor punishable by imprisonment for not more than 90 days or
    a fine of not more than $100.00, or both.
    History: Add. 1990, Act 321, Eff. Mar. 28, 1991;—Am. 1992, Act 218, Imd. Eff. Oct. 13, 1992;—Am. 1994, Act 158, Eff. Aug. 15, 1994.
    Last edited by sprinklerguy28; 11-11-2010 at 11:31 AM.

Sprinklerguy28, I take it the cased firearm can be in the passenger compartment of the vehicle. If so I'm glad to see it is the same as Illinois except for the FOID card requirement. BTW, The Illinois lobbyist for Illinois says that non-residents can't get a FOID card so they can transport this way without it. LEOs opinions on this may vary.

If a firearm is in the passenger compartment of the vehicle, must it be not immediately assessible? Can it be in the passenger compartment only if there is no trunk. Not immediately assessible doesn't apply in Illinois with a FOID card.
    Last edited by junglebob; 11-11-2010 at 07:35 PM.

Banned
    It has to be in the trunk, unless the vehicle has no trunk. I guess you could just take the trunk lid off of the car.

Quote Originally Posted by stainless1911 View Post
    It has to be in the trunk, unless the vehicle has no trunk. I guess you could just take the trunk lid off of the car.
    I've got a car with no trunk. Does it have to be inaccessible in the passenger compartment?

Banned
    Put the gun as far as physically possible from you.

The law does not require the case to be locked, but if you do, it will add another step to the process of retrieving the gun. The best situation is if you must exit the vehicle to gain access to the gun.

You see, politicians are criminals, so they are being sympathetic to their own kind by passing unnecessary laws that give their likeminded fellows, the criminals, a distinct advantage over the law abiding citizens.

Southern Illinois? I used to live in the Chicago suburbs. I feel your pain. Too bad you guys couldn't get a Republican gov. elected there.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Gay Al View Post
    Southern Illinois? I used to live in the Chicago suburbs. I feel your pain. Too bad you guys couldn't get a Republican gov. elected there.
    It was all those dead people voting in Chicago. Also I understand 33 counties, I believe, never sent out military absentee ballots. The night of or morning after the election they said my county went for Quinn, after all the absentee ballots he lost by 23, only Cook County and 2 others went for Quinn. The lieutenat governor candidate's father was U.S. Senator Paul Simon and he lived in the county. St. Clair where East St. Louis is and Alexander where Cairo is. A lot of people getting welfare checks and link card money wanted to be sure it kept coming.

Big Gay Al, It's been a long time since I've seen a post from you on Illinoiscarry.com forum. Do you still visit once in a while?

Quote Originally Posted by junglebob View Post
    It was all those dead people voting in Chicago. Also I understand 33 counties, I believe, never sent out military absentee ballots. The night of or morning after the election they said my county went for Quinn, after all the absentee ballots he lost by 23, only Cook County and 2 others went for Quinn. The lieutenat governor candidate's father was U.S. Senator Paul Simon and he lived in the county. St. Clair where East St. Louis is and Alexander where Cairo is. A lot of people getting welfare checks and link card money wanted to be sure it kept coming.

Big Gay Al, It's been a long time since I've seen a post from you on Illinoiscarry.com forum. Do you still visit once in a while?
    I still visit, but I've not caught up with every forum yet. I was "offline" for quadruple bypass surgery last month.
    Big Gay Al
    Coordinator, Michigan Pink Pistols
    Big Gay Al's Big Gay (Gun) Blog
    Fabrique Nationale d'Herstal FNX-45 .45ACP 16 rounds of hurt.