Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OCing past the picket line of a store on strike

OCing past the picket line of a store on strike

I'm not sure if anyone here has any experience with businesses on strike, but, if so, how common is violence between picketers on strike and those who cross the picket line?

There is one particular grocery store I shop at, simply because I live across the street, and it's walking distance. It may be going on strike very soon. What would the reaction of picketers be if I OC'd past the picket line? If it's going to cause too much of a fuss, then is it even worth it? I'm not too familiar with this at all.

I've crossed numerous picket lines to shop and you'll typically find that there is not a lot of activity beyond a couple of people standing with signs talking with their friends. The Stores would act in a heartbeat if any customers were hassled or blocked from entering/leaving. Grocery workers don't tend to get as "militant" as others such as Teamsters or Machinists.

There is always the option of a Non-Union store like Wal-Mart, Costco, as well as those that aren't effected by the strike.
    "If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I don't cross picket lines. Don't plan to either.

Whenever I've seen grocery strikes in the past, the picketers have to stand out on the sidewalk. You drive your car past them into the parking lot and walk into the store. They're not supposed to be on company property, so they don't get that close to you.

Quote Originally Posted by Leatherneck View Post
    I work as a contractor, and provide services to the property landlord in which the store is present on, so I would have to cross the line to go to work.

There are also other businesses on site that don't have any relationship to the retail establishment that is on strike, so it wouldn't be fair for the picketers to give hell to a person crossing the line, when they are just going to pizza hut.

I always cross picket lines and will go out of my way to shop there. If you are not an employee or a union member and not engaging the picketers, simply a customer going about his lawful business that would not warrent alarm IMHO.

Regular Member sudden valley gunner's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    I always cross picket lines and will go out of my way to shop there. If you are not an employee or a union member and not engaging the picketers, simply a customer going about his lawful business that would not warrent alarm IMHO.

LOL...me too my sentiments exactly.

+1 I hate to see Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC, or Albertson's without my business, but if it comes down to it I won't shop there. My father is a Union Carpenter and I will support the union as it has supported us and put food on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose View Post
    +1 I hate to see Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC, or Albertson's without my business, but if it comes down to it I won't shop there. My father is a Union Carpenter and I will support the union as it has supported us and put food on the table.

Ummm can I disagree? Your father became a skilled craftsmen who supported you not the union.

Quote Originally Posted by sudden valley gunner View Post
    Ummm can I disagree? Your father became a skilled craftsmen who supported you not the union.
    To each their own. The joy of this country is the right and priviledge for people to state your own opinion. No harm, disagree away.

I will not be OCing past any picket lines. This could be an interesting few weeks.

To each their own. The joy of this country is the right and priviledge for people to state your own opinion. No harm, disagree away.

I will not be OCing past any picket lines. This could be an interesting few weeks.
    You are absolutely correct sir.

I tried the union thing though and that didn't last long I actually like working and being good at what I do and didn't like all the politics that went along with it.

You are absolutely correct sir.

I tried the union thing though and that didn't last long I actually like working and being good at what I do and didn't like all the politics that went along with it.
    I had to really have it explained to me why a strike happened and how it affected us in the long run. I only saw the short term and in the short term, they hurt everybody. I watched my friends at Coca Cola strike and how the families were effected by a full week without pay and no contract. That's one of the few strikes I really questioned as so many were effected ... for no result. Ah well!

/rant off and apologies to the OP

As far as OCing past the line, it's not like they truly stand in front of the doors or knock your bags out of your hand. My question is .... if the store is on strike and everyone is union, who is going to be there to even keep the store open? ... I mean before the sca ... umm, temporary workers arrive that is IF they'd even go there.

SVG some of us value our freedom more than others, thats all I have to say on this subject.

I had to really have it explained to me why a strike happened and how it affected us in the long run. I only saw the short term and in the short term, they hurt everybody. I watched my friends at Coca Cola strike and how the families were effected by a full week without pay and no contract. That's one of the few strikes I really questioned as so many were effected ... for no result. Ah well!

/rant off and apologies to the OP

As far as OCing past the line, it's not like they truly stand in front of the doors or knock your bags out of your hand. My question is .... if the store is on strike and everyone is union, who is going to be there to even keep the store open? ... I mean before the sca ... umm, temporary workers arrive that is IF they'd even go there.
    At the grocery chain I worked at, the management staff ran the store. I was part of the security department (non-union) and I stocked shelves. In our case, only the stores in our town struck so managers drove in from the stores that were within 100 miles to work.

Quote Originally Posted by Orphan View Post
    +1

+1

+1

I worked in grocery for many years, both as a union employee and a non union employee and as management. I made better money and benefits as a non-union employee.

I will support the freedom of all to shop and work where they choose.
    Live Free or Die!

Actually, I think this thread has gone down a path that no longer deals with the open carry of properly holstered handguns. The OP question did not ask about merely crossing a picket line, but the advisability of doing so while OC. There is a difference.

As you can see, the mere act of crossing a picket line brings up strong opinions. Since OCDO has both union and non-union members, it would be advisable to keep our comments focused on the open carry aspect of this question.
    Last edited by Ajetpilot; 11-12-2010 at 12:15 AM. Reason: Formating

Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
    Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post
    Actually, I think this thread has gone down a path that no longer deals with the open carry of properly holstered handguns. The OP question did not ask about merely crossing a picket line, but the advisability of doing so while OC. There is a difference.

As you can see, the mere act of crossing a picket line brings up strong opinions. Since OCDO has both union and non-union members, it would be advisable to keep our comments focused on the open carry aspect of this question.

+10

To the OP: I wouldn't worry about it. I would go ahead and do what I normally do. The fact is, where I live there aren't a whole lot of choices unless I want to go way out of my way.
    "All that is required for evil to prevail is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

"I like people who stand on the Constitution... unless they're using it to wipe their feet." - Jon E Hutcherson

Quote Originally Posted by Ajetpilot View Post

Oh c'mon now. This is the WA OC forum. We NEVER go on tangents here or stray off topic! We are a shining beacon to the topic-specific interwebz forum community! Name:  semarrefort.gif
Views: 306
Size:  1,010 Bytes

Attachment 4492
    It is very wise to not take a watermelon lightly.

For those that need directions and road signs

"If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying I either won't need anymore or more won't help"

"If you refuse to stand up for others now, who will stand up for you when your time comes?"

I think he's saying that non-union workers support freedom and union workers don't care about freedom.
    He's wrong, "and that's all I have to say on this subject" (in an effort to keep it on track).

Quote Originally Posted by NavyLT View Post
    So, in a union trade where a person is required to join the union in order to work.... that is freedom?

To keep this post on topic: I would have no problem crossing a picket line open carrying. IF (and I doubt it would ever happen) I was assaulted, the person committing the assault would be treated just like any other person committing an assault.
    NavyLT I was saying just the reverse, I would never join a union because then someone else would be making decisions for me. I make my own decisions and deals and I deal with the results of said decisions. I am a free man not beholden to anyone else unless I choose to be.

I think he's saying that non-union workers support freedom and union workers don't care about freedom.
    He's wrong, "and that's all I have to say on this subject" (in an effort to keep it on track).
    No thats not what I said. What I was implying was by joining a union you give up some of your personal freedom. I dont care who joins a union or who does not join a union that is their business and none of mine.

Point taken. And I know what you mean.
    However, without union strength, when "the man" decides he's going to cut your wages, benefits, pension, etc. you only have 2 choices:
    1. Bend over
    2. Quit & job hunt

I don't agree with my union and the brothers on MANY points, but at least I'm not moving backwards.
    (I guess that wasn't all I had to say about the subject. )

Point taken. And I know what you mean.
    However, without union strength, when "the man" decides he's going to cut your wages, benefits, pension, etc. you only have 2 choices:
    1. Bend over
    2. Quit & job hunt

I don't agree with my union and the brothers on MANY points, but at least I'm not moving backwards.
    (I guess that wasn't all I had to say about the subject. )
    You left out another option. One has the right to start his own business and sell his talents without someone else running the show.

My son was faced with this option several years ago and now owns his own business making 4-5 times the money he was making working for someone else. I spent 15 years owning my own business. There are more "Small Business owners in this country than there are in the Big Business Sector. Many of these small businesses sell their products or services to those Large Corporations and others work directly for the Public.

There are many options and the biggest rewards go to those who took the time to get the skills, and have the drive, and put it all in effect without waiting for someone else to "give them a job".

Quote Originally Posted by amlevin View Post
    You left out another option. One has the right to start his own business and sell his talents without someone else running the show.

My son was faced with this option several years ago and now owns his own business making 4-5 times the money he was making working for someone else. I spent 15 years owning my own business. There are more "Small Business owners in this country than there are in the Big Business Sector. Many of these small businesses sell their products or services to those Large Corporations and others work directly for the Public.

There are many options and the biggest rewards go to those who took the time to get the skills, and have the drive, and put it all in effect without waiting for someone else to "give them a job".
    +10000 give or take, thats exactly what I did, good luck to your son.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast