• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OCing past the picket line of a store on strike

Aaron1124

I'm not sure if anyone here has any experience with businesses on strike, but, if so, how common is violence between picketers on strike and those who cross the picket line?

There is one particular grocery store I shop at, simply because I live across the street, and it's walking distance. It may be going on strike very soon. What would the reaction of picketers be if I OC'd past the picket line? If it's going to cause too much of a fuss, then is it even worth it? I'm not too familiar with this at all.

amlevin

I've crossed numerous picket lines to shop and you'll typically find that there is not a lot of activity beyond a couple of people standing with signs talking with their friends. The Stores would act in a heartbeat if any customers were hassled or blocked from entering/leaving. Grocery workers don't tend to get as "militant" as others such as Teamsters or Machinists.

There is always the option of a Non-Union store like Wal-Mart, Costco, as well as those that aren't effected by the strike.

New Daddy

Whenever I've seen grocery strikes in the past, the picketers have to stand out on the sidewalk. You drive your car past them into the parking lot and walk into the store. They're not supposed to be on company property, so they don't get that close to you.

Aaron1124

I don't cross picket lines. Don't plan to either.

I work as a contractor, and provide services to the property landlord in which the store is present on, so I would have to cross the line to go to work.

There are also other businesses on site that don't have any relationship to the retail establishment that is on strike, so it wouldn't be fair for the picketers to give hell to a person crossing the line, when they are just going to pizza hut.

Jeff Hayes

I always cross picket lines and will go out of my way to shop there. If you are not an employee or a union member and not engaging the picketers, simply a customer going about his lawful business that would not warrent alarm IMHO.

Deleted_User

I don't cross picket lines. Don't plan to either.

+1 I hate to see Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC, or Albertson's without my business, but if it comes down to it I won't shop there. My father is a Union Carpenter and I will support the union as it has supported us and put food on the table.

sudden valley gunner

+1 I hate to see Safeway, Fred Meyer, QFC, or Albertson's without my business, but if it comes down to it I won't shop there. My father is a Union Carpenter and I will support the union as it has supported us and put food on the table.

Ummm can I disagree? Your father became a skilled craftsmen who supported you not the union.

Deleted_User

Ummm can I disagree? Your father became a skilled craftsmen who supported you not the union.

To each their own. The joy of this country is the right and priviledge for people to state your own opinion. No harm, disagree away.

I will not be OCing past any picket lines. This could be an interesting few weeks.

sudden valley gunner

To each their own. The joy of this country is the right and priviledge for people to state your own opinion. No harm, disagree away.

I will not be OCing past any picket lines. This could be an interesting few weeks.

You are absolutely correct sir.

I tried the union thing though and that didn't last long I actually like working and being good at what I do and didn't like all the politics that went along with it.

Deleted_User

You are absolutely correct sir.

I tried the union thing though and that didn't last long I actually like working and being good at what I do and didn't like all the politics that went along with it.

I had to really have it explained to me why a strike happened and how it affected us in the long run. I only saw the short term and in the short term, they hurt everybody. I watched my friends at Coca Cola strike and how the families were effected by a full week without pay and no contract. That's one of the few strikes I really questioned as so many were effected ... for no result. Ah well!

/rant off and apologies to the OP

As far as OCing past the line, it's not like they truly stand in front of the doors or knock your bags out of your hand. My question is .... if the store is on strike and everyone is union, who is going to be there to even keep the store open? ... I mean before the sca ... umm, temporary workers arrive that is IF they'd even go there.

New Daddy

I had to really have it explained to me why a strike happened and how it affected us in the long run. I only saw the short term and in the short term, they hurt everybody. I watched my friends at Coca Cola strike and how the families were effected by a full week without pay and no contract. That's one of the few strikes I really questioned as so many were effected ... for no result. Ah well!

/rant off and apologies to the OP

As far as OCing past the line, it's not like they truly stand in front of the doors or knock your bags out of your hand. My question is .... if the store is on strike and everyone is union, who is going to be there to even keep the store open? ... I mean before the sca ... umm, temporary workers arrive that is IF they'd even go there.

At the grocery chain I worked at, the management staff ran the store. I was part of the security department (non-union) and I stocked shelves. In our case, only the stores in our town struck so managers drove in from the stores that were within 100 miles to work.

gogodawgs

Campaign Veteran
I always cross picket lines and will go out of my way to shop there. If you are not an employee or a union member and not engaging the picketers, simply a customer going about his lawful business that would not warrent alarm IMHO.

+1

LOL...me too my sentiments exactly.

+1

+1

I worked in grocery for many years, both as a union employee and a non union employee and as management. I made better money and benefits as a non-union employee.

I will support the freedom of all to shop and work where they choose.

Ajetpilot

Actually, I think this thread has gone down a path that no longer deals with the open carry of properly holstered handguns. The OP question did not ask about merely crossing a picket line, but the advisability of doing so while OC. There is a difference.

As you can see, the mere act of crossing a picket line brings up strong opinions. Since OCDO has both union and non-union members, it would be advisable to keep our comments focused on the open carry aspect of this question.

Last edited:

Bookman

Campaign Veteran
Winston Salem, North Carolina, United States
Actually, I think this thread has gone down a path that no longer deals with the open carry of properly holstered handguns. The OP question did not ask about merely crossing a picket line, but the advisability of doing so while OC. There is a difference.

As you can see, the mere act of crossing a picket line brings up strong opinions. Since OCDO has both union and non-union members, it would be advisable to keep our comments focused on the open carry aspect of this question.

+10

To the OP: I wouldn't worry about it. I would go ahead and do what I normally do. The fact is, where I live there aren't a whole lot of choices unless I want to go way out of my way.

Metalhead47

Oh c'mon now. This is the WA OC forum. We NEVER go on tangents here or stray off topic! We are a shining beacon to the topic-specific interwebz forum community! semarrefort.gif

View attachment 4492

amlevin

For those that need directions and road signs

offtopic.jpg

Leatherneck

I think he's saying that non-union workers support freedom and union workers don't care about freedom.
He's wrong, "and that's all I have to say on this subject" (in an effort to keep it on track).