Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any OC outing/get-together scheduled in ABQ this December?

Campaign Veteran

Any OC outing/get-together scheduled in ABQ this December?

I'll be visiting in Rio Rancho/ABQ December 23 to January 1st (my annual Christmas Trip out West and back).

Just wondering if any of you Forum members living in this area will be having an OC get-together at some local eatery during that 10 day period...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-11-2010 at 02:37 PM.

we got one together last april, we should do another one, it seems like the subject has gone stale as of recent

Campaign Veteran
    That's a problem in many states: Active participation in assorted (and regular) events. Being gung-ho re: ANYTHING for the long-haul is difficult for MOST people.

Even just making a committment is hard, which is a big reason the TCDL (Texas Citizens Defense League) folded a couple of years ago (besides the fact that the main guy had to go off to law school, IIRC): Not enough members who got actively involved, other than sign up online. There's a new TX group forming, but not sure it can overcome most people's general lethargy, fading enthusiasm and long-term commitment for cause that is important to them -- getting OC in TX.

Even this NM forum is dead most of the time...but I guess it beats poor Hawaii's Forum, which doesn't have CC or OC, yet DOES have gun registration! NM is way ahead on that.

Still, getting together for lunch (or even coffee) should be simpler and lots more doable in comparison.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-18-2010 at 03:13 AM.

I'd be interested... I'm sure my GF may participate as well. as long as the date picked worked with our schedule.

-Damien

Campaign Veteran
    That's the other problem: Trying to get several (or even 2) people together at the same time and place...it's like trying to herd cats.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-20-2010 at 02:12 PM.

what date range do you have in mind? As I work 48 hour shifts, give me at least a 3 day stretch of dates so I can let ya know what dates I have available.

**EDIT** oops.. just re-read your original post... My days off are the 23, 24, 27, 28, 29, and 1st.

-Damien
    Last edited by Damien; 11-21-2010 at 11:27 PM.

Campaign Veteran
    Well, I know there are others here in this NM forum that have wanted to get together...maybe by then they will see this thread and join in. They should have seen it by now so possibly they aren't checking in here much anymore. As I said, it's pretty dead here. Regardless, then I'll be up there anyway...we can then choose a specific date & time as that gets closer.

Also, those other members I mentioned (being residents of ABQ or Rio Rancho) probably know where we can and can't go (what places are posted/signed or not) so I hope they check in here...although I have asked that before (about Village Inn for example) yet never got answers on that.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-22-2010 at 02:26 AM.

We went to Furrs last time, I think it was a little too busy to actually visit or get a good convo going. I still like the idea of doing like a potluck bbq at a park or something, but being the middle of winter I'm sure that is out.

Campaign Veteran
    I prefer to go to places in the mid-afternoon, when it's really slow (sometimes I'm the only one there) as I don't like a whole lot of people (herds) around me that much. For sure, I NEVER go in the mornings when many people go out to breakfast, or especially weekend mornings when EVERYONE seems to go out for breakfast...and you're put on a waiting list! But being single, I really don't eat out anyway, I just go to Dennys, IHOP or Village Inn for coffee and to do some work (or use their WiFi).

Still, for meeting with more "normal" people, we could agree on some place to go and a time, I'm sure. Too bad Flying Star is out, and County Line as it has a bar, but Starbucks should be okay with OC. As I said, though, I don't know about Dennys, IHOP or VI there...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 11-27-2010 at 06:21 PM.

I just joined the forum after reading about Albuquerque OC events. I would gladly attend any event. I think starbucks would be ok if it were only a handful of people. Any large group would be difficult there.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    I prefer to go to places in the mid-afternoon, when it's really slow (sometimes I'm the only one there) as I don't like a whole lot of people (herds) around me that much. For sure, I NEVER go in the mornings when many people go out to breakfast, or especially weekend mornings when EVERYONE seems to go out for breakfast...and you're put on a waiting list! But being single, I really don't eat out anyway, I just go to Dennys, IHOP or Village Inn for coffee and to do some work (or use their WiFi).

Still, for meeting with more "normal" people, we could agree on some place to go and a time, I'm sure. Too bad Flying Star is out, and County Line as it has a bar, but Starbucks should be okay with OC. As I said, though, I don't know about Dennys, IHOP or VI there...
    Wecks is an option.. But is only open for breakfast and lunch.

Quote Originally Posted by cmontanojr View Post
    I just joined the forum after reading about Albuquerque OC events. I would gladly attend any event. I think starbucks would be ok if it were only a handful of people. Any large group would be difficult there.
    Welcome to the forum.

-Damien

Even this NM forum is dead most of the time...
    I mostly post to the local car forums.

I would also be up to a meet.

Campaign Veteran
    The Starbucks at Paseo del Norte & Wyoming is the largest one I've seen anywhere. But frankly, I think we need not worry: I don't think there are enough OCers in the state of NM (judging by this forum) to crowd an average-sized Starbucks, let alone OCers in the ABQ/Rio Rancho area. And at least one RR/ABQ forum member is noticably silent in responding here. There's just not enough interest/enthusiasm.

It seems the only state to have regular and well-attended outings is VA.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 12-04-2010 at 11:28 PM.

Wondering if I'm the one "RR/ABQ forum member is noticably silent in responding here".

Any Sunday through Tuesday I'm up for a gathering, also early on Wednesday.

Campaign Veteran
    No, it couldn't be you because this is your first post so who would know you? Besides, you just show "New Mexico" but not what city you're in.

It's another guy and IIRC, he's in Rio Rancho...
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 12-09-2010 at 10:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudcroft View Post
    No, it couldn't be you because this is your first post so who would know you? Besides, you just show "New Mexico" but not what city you're in.

It's another guy and IIRC, he's in Rio Rancho...
    After I posted my comment I saw that it was my first post, but decided to let it stay and not edit it.
    I am in Rio Ranhco though. Still open to attending an OC event if it fits my schedule.

Campaign Veteran
    No problem, and since we don't have any emoticons here anymore to use (or bold type, italics, etc.) I can't put those things in my responses as I usually do, to show I am kidding about something or whatever.

Anyway, I will be in Rio Rancho the evening the 22nd and leave January 2nd. I should be available most of that time (December 23rd - January 1st) if you all come up with a time and place during that period, I can reschedule any events I have planned and be there. I think Damien and possibly his GF is available.

NOTE: I have one problem though: I don't have an OC holster! Here in TX we can't OC so I never got one. I DO have an OC military flap-holtser for it though but not a "civilian" holster. So, I MIGHT have to go to a local (ABQ/Rio Rancho) gun store to get something decent to OC my gun -- a "compact" 9mm perhaps a bit smaller than a Hi-Power -- but I really need to try out holsters to be sure of a good fit (AND retention of course)...I don't want to get one sight-unseen. I carry OC crossdraw so I'll be looking for something in that type (but I don't care for slides), and maybe a good stiff gun-belt also (if my Chrstmas money doesn't run out first).

If anyone has a recommendation of what gun store to visit (with a good selection of holsters) let me know.

BTW, re: the other "mystery member" here, I was talking about ROUGUE AUSSIE (Rio Rancho) who has been very quiet lately...where is he?

EDIT: Never mind, I can OC a smaller gun...I DO have an OC holster for THAT.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 12-11-2010 at 11:32 PM.

I usually buy my holsters (and I have a lot of them!) from one of the following:
    Kaufman's West 1660 Eubank NE 505-293-2300

Sportsmans Warehouse 1450 N. Renaissance 505-761-9900

Campaign Veteran
    snoball,

Thanks for the info, I will check them out.

My "OC gun" I CAN carry now (since I have a OC holster for it) is a Beretta 21-A...I don't think anyone would notice such a tiny thing as it's the size of a cell-phone, kind of. Well, at least it'd be OCed...

But of course, I'll be bringing my compact 9mm also...that is my CC gun anyway (here in TX) and my TX CHL is also good in NM.
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 12-12-2010 at 05:06 PM.

Good day guys! Dates I'm available are posted earlier in this thread (though I'm not sure if my GF will be joining us). I have OC retention holsters for Both my Beretta 92FS and my XDm .40 if anyone needs to borrow one.

Calibers on the corner of 40 and Paseo Del Norte has a good selection of holsters as well.

-Damien
    Last edited by Damien; 12-13-2010 at 09:29 PM.

Now that I think about it, Neves Uniform shop also has a selection of holsters.. It is on San Mateo between I-40 and I-25, just up from the I-40 Westbound exit.

-Damien

Campaign Veteran
    Damien,

As per plan, I am presently in El Paso, TX (drove straight through from Galveston -- 800 miles)...will leave El Paso for Rio Rancho on the 22nd.

I've seen Calibers...I pass by it on my way from Coors up Paseo del Norte to one of my favorite Starbucks on Wyoming & Paseo del Norte (across from that newer Flying Star). Can stop by and check it out.

Also the other places snoball named like Kaufman's West...which is in the same part of town as another favorite Flying Star (4510 Juan Tabo). I like to do things efficiently rather than run all over town.

Thanks for the offer of a "loaner holster" but if I don't find something (or run out of money -- I'm afraid to go online and look at my bank account balance) I'll still have my Beretta to OC. My "obscure" guns are hard to fit.

If El Paso Saddlery could do a REAL QUICK job -- and I had at least $150 in my pocket -- I could get a real nice CUSTOM-fit holster while I'm here. They MIGHT have something in stock (and so less $$) that would fit...maybe I can drop by and see.

Where's your buddy Rogue Aussie?
    Last edited by cloudcroft; 12-16-2010 at 12:38 AM.

Sounds good.. Good luck on the holster. Let me know what day works best with everyone. On the days I am coming home from work (23rd, 27th and 1st) I will not be available til around 10.. (gotta change and drive to the meet up).

-Damien

Campaign Veteran
    If the Rio Rancho Village Inn (across from Intel) isn't posted, we could meet there.

Per Damien's post on availability, I'm good for the 27th-29th, I'm also open on the 26th, but that is Sunday and places look hectic on Sunday.
    The Village Inn, haven't been there yet in the short time I've been in NM. Been quite a few years since I've been to any Village Inn...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast