• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Any OC outing/get-together scheduled in ABQ this December?

Damien

Now that I think about it, Neves Uniform shop also has a selection of holsters.. It is on San Mateo between I-40 and I-25, just up from the I-40 Westbound exit.

-Damien

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
El Paso, TX (formerly Colorado Springs, CO)
Damien,

As per plan, I am presently in El Paso, TX (drove straight through from Galveston -- 800 miles)...will leave El Paso for Rio Rancho on the 22nd.

I've seen Calibers...I pass by it on my way from Coors up Paseo del Norte to one of my favorite Starbucks on Wyoming & Paseo del Norte (across from that newer Flying Star). Can stop by and check it out.

Also the other places snoball named like Kaufman's West...which is in the same part of town as another favorite Flying Star (4510 Juan Tabo). I like to do things efficiently rather than run all over town.

Thanks for the offer of a "loaner holster" but if I don't find something (or run out of money -- I'm afraid to go online and look at my bank account balance) I'll still have my Beretta to OC. My "obscure" guns are hard to fit.

If El Paso Saddlery could do a REAL QUICK job -- and I had at least $150 in my pocket -- I could get a real nice CUSTOM-fit holster while I'm here. They MIGHT have something in stock (and so less $$) that would fit...maybe I can drop by and see.

Where's your buddy Rogue Aussie?

Last edited:

Damien

Sounds good.. Good luck on the holster. Let me know what day works best with everyone. On the days I am coming home from work (23rd, 27th and 1st) I will not be available til around 10.. (gotta change and drive to the meet up).

-Damien

rsandman_2000

Per Damien's post on availability, I'm good for the 27th-29th, I'm also open on the 26th, but that is Sunday and places look hectic on Sunday.
The Village Inn, haven't been there yet in the short time I've been in NM. Been quite a few years since I've been to any Village Inn...

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
I have been asking about that particular Village Inn (and all ABQ VIs in general, what their OC policy is) for about a year or so here now -- if anyone living in Rio Rancho/ABQ could go by there and see if it's posted (is there any "No Guns" signage at the front door or just inside) -- but no one has answered me yet. AFAIK, VI doesn't serve alchohol so it SHOULD be okay to OC there unless VI policy is anti-gun.

When I get there I can check myself, of course, and will look for any signage. If there is none, I guess we could just go there and see what happens. We could ASK the manager first, or, if we see no signs, just go in and see what they say (or don't say). Still, I wanted to know beforehand where VI is on the issue of patrons OCing.

In any case, I think we need a "Plan B site" to go to if VI doesn't want us there...there is a Starbucks right next to it and an IHOP just "down the hill" on Alameda we can try next.

The sites above would be good (convenient) for us Rio Rancho members who could meet in/near Rio Rancho, then we could meet again somewhere in ABQ so it'd be more convenient for forum members living in ABQ.

Last edited:

Damien

I just shot a e-mail to VI customer service.

Good Day,

My Name is Damien Furtman, a Member of the opencarry.org New Mexico forum. We were planning a meet up for breakfast at a restaurant in one of your New Mexico Locations and were just wanting to inquire on Village Inn’s policy for guests of your establishment Open Carrying holstered handguns on the hip.

Thank You,

Opencarry.org New Mexico Forum

-Damien

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Damien,

The main reason I hestated to ask the directly is because the concensus is for people just to go, because sometimes when you ask they have time to "check on it" and come up with why you can't but if you just do it and show up, they have to come up with something on the spot. It's a "better to ask for forgiveness than permission" kind of thing. I was just going to look for a sign at the front door and if seeing none, just go in. If VI's policy is no guns, then they'd have to (1) notice I was carrying and (2) tell me to leave...and then I'd ask why no sign at the door and take the issue higher up to get official policy!

Definitely, it would be good to know VI's policy, as they are a very "local" chain (El Paso, TX and NM -- unlike Dennys and IHOP) so maybe they go by state law (like Starbucks does) or maybe not. But unlike Dennys and IHOP, there is no CORPORATE VI anymore to take the matter to higher up the chain-of-command: As you may recall, CORPORATE Village Inn (VALCORP in Colorado) went out-of-business about 2 years ago (much like what happened to Steak & Ale and Bennigans -- CORPORATE and corporate-owned stores went out of business but FRANCHISES could stay open)...so what we have now are Village Inn FRANCHISES, so the franchise owner may decide policy of his/her own store/stores. But OTHER VIs with different franchise owners -- like the Verlander family owned VI stores in El Paso, TX -- may have the same policy or something different...there would be no "corporate" at VI to write to which could have ONE "gun policy" for all its stores, or "overrule" a franchise owner who refuses to follow state gun laws (like Starbucks does in each state). So there's no "top dog" boss higher up at VI to ask, just the franchise OWNER. If one VI franchise owner says no guns, then MAYBE another VI franchise owner would say the same or opposite. I don't know who owns the Rio Rancho VI, or if ALL the ABQ area VIs have the same franchise owner or not.

Don't know IHOP's policy (I go to IHOP here in TX all the time but never have asked because in TX we can't OC anyway).

Even if VI says no, we still have the Starbucks (for SURE) next door, or IHOP (maybe)...but at least with IHOP we DO have a Corporate "boss" we could contact.

Last edited:

Damien

Cloudcroft,

I can certainly see your hesitation to notify and rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission. I'm sorry if my agressive e-mailing of Village Inn was a little too forward.

I received an e-mail from their customer service stating the e-mail and phone numbers of the franchise owners. The e-mail CS sent me was CC:'d to all the Franchise owners as well. Today the Rio Rancho franchise owner e-mailed CS and CC:d me stating;

It is perfectly legal in the state of N.M.

Unless you sell alcohol.

Respectfully

Lenny Fresquez

I shot an e-mail back to Lenny and Wendy (CS) thanking them for their support of the second amendment.

-Damien

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Damien,

I am here in Rio Rancho as of yesterday evening. Right now, I am at the Starbucks right next to the Rio Rancho Village Inn just to get online (TMK, VI does not have WiFi so I am at Starbucks instead), do e-mail and let you RR/ABQ members know I am here.

Now all we need to do is pick a time/place...

Sounds like your efforts got results, so I guess VI is open to us.

cloudcroft

Campaign Veteran
Thanks...and I enjoyed our get-together also -- nice meeting upstanding citizens like you and Tim.

Too bad Rogue Aussie didn't make a cameo (if not guest) appearance. ;-)

-- John (Clay) D.

[at a Starbucks (Wyoming & Paseo del Norte) so I can get online to read & post]

Last edited: