• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Picking a handgun for a trip to Florida

Chaingun81

I'm planning to take short (4 day) trip to Miami soon and I'm debating on which firearm to take with me. I generally carry full size combat pistols here in VA, but since I'm going to a warm place, with CC only, I need something I can comfortably conceal.

The 2 options I have in my safe are Springfield XD Sub compact 9mm. with Galco IWB holster for it and Ruger LCP in 380 with Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Obviously, Ruger is a lot smaller and lighter, but not as accurate and powerful as Springfield. Also, pocket holster is generally harder to deploy from and it prints the rough shape of the gun when sitting.

Springfield is bigger, much thicker and heavier, but has more rounds in it with more power. IWB holster is easy to deploy from, but its pretty uncomfortable to wear (at least for me) and Springfield still manages to print a little bit.

I've been pondering this for a while now, and I cannot decide. The obvious compromise would be to take both, but I don't particularly feel like dealing with 2 guns in case I need to secure them when entering a prohibited area.

Also, any idea what is the weather like there now? I see the temperature is pretty warm, but is it really summer hot? Is that kind of a weather when you have to wear a light T-shirt day and night or sweat your balls off?

Any ideas/advice will be highly appreciated.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Most people I know in Florida carry either full size or commander length 1911 in belt slide or paddle holster and IWB. They by and large tend to wear a square bottom, button up shirt (think Hawaiian cut) over a t-shirt.

The weather is mild now - should not be too warm.

Last edited:

45acpForMe

I guess it depends on what you will be wearing. I usually wear cargo-shorts that have large pockets and additional pockets for magazines or camera/touristy things.

I have a Kahr MK40 which I take with me on trips that fits inside a pocket holster and throw the extra magazines in the cargo pocket.

I would really prefer to bring a fullsize but IWB does not work for me, too much belly in the way. :) Keeping your hands in your pocket while walking in unknown areas makes deploying fairly quick.

Can't wait until FL allows OC.

since9

Campaign Veteran
Also, any idea what is the weather like there now? I see the temperature is pretty warm, but is it really summer hot?

Mild. I recall many a Thanksgiving in Florida where we were wearing sweatshirts or jackets. In Miami, things are certain to be warmer, but "jeans and a t-shirt" weather is about as warm as it would get, and it wouldn't be sweaty. Do take a light to medium jacket, though.

Resto Guy

I was there a few months ago. I carried a Smith and Wesson 642 in a cross-draw pancake, and I got out alive. The only time I had to draw it was at an indoor range outside of Orlando.

REALteach4u

I'm planning to take short (4 day) trip to Miami soon and I'm debating on which firearm to take with me. I generally carry full size combat pistols here in VA, but since I'm going to a warm place, with CC only, I need something I can comfortably conceal.

The 2 options I have in my safe are Springfield XD Sub compact 9mm. with Galco IWB holster for it and Ruger LCP in 380 with Desantis Nemesis pocket holster.

Obviously, Ruger is a lot smaller and lighter, but not as accurate and powerful as Springfield. Also, pocket holster is generally harder to deploy from and it prints the rough shape of the gun when sitting.

Springfield is bigger, much thicker and heavier, but has more rounds in it with more power. IWB holster is easy to deploy from, but its pretty uncomfortable to wear (at least for me) and Springfield still manages to print a little bit.

I've been pondering this for a while now, and I cannot decide. The obvious compromise would be to take both, but I don't particularly feel like dealing with 2 guns in case I need to secure them when entering a prohibited area.

Also, any idea what is the weather like there now? I see the temperature is pretty warm, but is it really summer hot? Is that kind of a weather when you have to wear a light T-shirt day and night or sweat your balls off?

Any ideas/advice will be highly appreciated.

Friends near Orlando said it was 80 today and sent us a text-picture of the sunset.

I carried a Glock 26 in a Crossbreed Supertuck when I was in Orlando. Your XD or your LCP should be fine. If you're worried about comfortable carry, go with the LCP so you can stay slim in profile. If you want capacity, then carry the XD.

To deal with the width and weight of the Glock 26 I used a set of cargo shorts I found at Sam's Club that had a bit of elastic on both sides of the hips which were excellent for an IWB holster.

Don't forget to bone up on Fl. laws on carry before you go!

Last edited:

KansasMustang

My brother who lives in FLA says it can be dang difficult to CC there. You must ensure that your weapon does not imprint or it can mean trouble. I'd pick the smallest weapon I can. He carries a Kahr sub compact 45.

45acpForMe

My brother who lives in FLA says it can be dang difficult to CC there. You must ensure that your weapon does not imprint or it can mean trouble. I'd pick the smallest weapon I can. He carries a Kahr sub compact 45.

When I got my karh mk40 I picked up a pocket holster from them too. It has a reversible flat piece of leather that will mask the shape of the holster in your pocket. I works somewhat but they need a thicker piece of leather. I thought of adding some cardboard to it but don't have to worry about printing in VA.

When I wear cargo shorts I don't seem to get much printing. Khaki dress pants sometime print because the material is thinner.

http://www.kahr.com/PM40-Holsters/Kahr-Ambidextrous-Pocket-Holster-MK-and-PM-Series.asp

GetDynamicImage.aspx