• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

What 9mm ammo do you choose to carry?

OCglock1988

Right now I am using Winchester pdx1 9mm +p 124 gr JHP. I was just curious what you all think about this round and what you choose to carry for personal protection.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
There are several 9mm loading which I keep in my inventory and which one I carry at any given time depends largely upon which gun I am planning to use. They are in no particular order;

Winchester Ranger 127gr +P+ RA9TA
Federal 124gr +P HST
Federal 147gr +P HST
Winchester Ranger 115gr +P+

My general first choice is the 147gr +P HST with the Winchester 127gr +P+ coming in second. Again, it depends upon the gun. With Glocks, I don't concern myself with the +P+ loads, but with some other 9mm guns of mine, a +P+ loading is not recommended.

sultan62

Right now I am using Winchester pdx1 9mm +p 124 gr JHP. I was just curious what you all think about this round and what you choose to carry for personal protection.

Well there's your problem right there...:banana:

Ok, now I'm running away.

OCglock1988

no

actually its not a problem, 9mm is my favorite round because of low recoil, availability and price. It also happens to be the only caliber I have a SD handgun chambered for. So take your elitist B.S. and go dump it on someone else's thread

sultan62

actually its not a problem, 9mm is my favorite round because of low recoil, availability and price. It also happens to be the only caliber I have a SD handgun chambered for. So take your elitist B.S. and go dump it on someone else's thread

It was a JOKE!

I thought that was evident, but I guess not.

sultan62

I take it back, I had a concussion last night and it must be messing with my sarcasm detection. maybe I just don't like those dancing bananas. sorry sultan

No problem. One of my chief complaints about the internet is that there is no 'sarcasm' font.

I hope your recovery goes well.

.45acp

My wife carries a 9mm Sig, it is stoked with Fed HydroShocks, or if in a pinch the CorBon's. She like the 124 grs in both brands.

Steve

since9

Campaign Veteran
I take it back, I had a concussion last night and it must be messing with my sarcasm detection. maybe I just don't like those dancing bananas.

Falling asleep at the dinner table again, eh? Just kidding, and I hate concussions (meaning I empathize), so I'll leave out the dancing bananas.

I carry Winchester Ranger SXT JHP. However, as that's been discontinued, I'll be testing a box of their 9mm Luger 147 gr. Supreme Elite™ Bonded PDX1 over the Thanksgiving holidays. If I don't experience any ramp feed issues, I'll switch. I'm concerned about the sharp leading edge, though, as I've experienced ramp feed issues with similar ammo over the years (mainly Federal JHP's).

If I do experience ramp feed issues, I'll likely go back to the 9mm Luger 147 gr. Super-X® Silvertip® Hollow Point. It has the least penetration of the 147 gr bunch, but because it expends its energy in a shorter distance, it's like getting hit by a linebacker, or so says an aquaintence who caught a stray round about a decade ago.

Hopefully, the PDX1s will work!

heresyourdipstickjimmy

I've used these, fired them at some point.

PMC jhp (cheap stuff I got my hands on)
Federal HydraShock (9mm and .45ACP)
Federal HST (buddy got his hands on some..NICE!)
Hornady Critical Defense (9mm)
Hornady XTP (.45ACP +P...really NASTY!)
PowR'Ball (.45ACP) - meant for States that are anti-hollow point, but it works everywhere

Remember folks, stopping power is a myth, shot placement is key. But, you have to find a defensive ammo that your particular firearm likes to feed and will shoot both accurately and reliably.

I carry both 9mm and .45ACP depending on the environment I will be in and time of year. I've found that certain hollow points tend to get through bulky clothing and open more reliably than others do. I've also had issues with some ammo being more temperature sensitive than others when it comes to reliability...some of that could be attributed to firing certain firearms in less than desirable temperatures (below 32 degrees).

Last edited:

2ndammendmentbrotha

My carry ammo is....

In my Ruger P95 I carry Winchester Ranger 127+p+ or Federal HST 124+p. I have carried Corbon 115+p and Fioccchi Extrema. Does any body know of a round that the P95 won't reliably feed?