• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Switching from "driving" to "walk" mode?

Zastavarian

Since you can't (to my understanding) carry, in holster while driving, is there a better way to swtich from center console or glovebox (legal here in va) to holster without it being so....awkward? It's annoying having to mount and dismount every time i go from Wendy's to the gas station...I wish I could just leave it in the holster. I usually dismount out of holster AFTER i sit in the car, door closed. Then mount back up BEFORE exiting the car. Is this correct? Any thoughts? Thanks guys/gals!

K

kittyhawk63

Since you can't (to my understanding) carry, in holster while driving, is there a better way to swtich from center console or glovebox (legal here in va) to holster without it being so....awkward? It's annoying having to mount and dismount every time i go from Wendy's to the gas station...I wish I could just leave it in the holster. I usually dismount out of holster AFTER i sit in the car, door closed. Then mount back up BEFORE exiting the car. Is this correct? Any thoughts? Thanks guys/gals!

Since I am in commie country out west, I cannot really answer your question. However, can you put your firearm into another holster that you have mounted on the side of your console?

hogeaterf6

Why cant you carry holstered in your car? I do in my truck and motorcycle. If I dont it slides right into my door panel. Fits nice since I'm left handed.

sultan62

I have an XD 45, so I took the cheap holster that came with it and mounted it to a homemade floor console for my truck.

Also, you might want to ask this question in the Virginia subforum.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

Leave it in your holster - you're good to go in Va. unlike some other states.

You can OC in Virginia, including in a vehicle, any place you can legally be. There is NO statutory restriction on OC.

The console/glove compartment thing relates to secure storage, not to OC.

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA

Have to ask, where did you hear about having to do what you have described in your post? Just curious.

In Virginia, you're fine to just leave it in your holster and in fact, that is not only the safest way to carry your arm, but for the purposes of accessibility, it's pretty much the best way to go. You do not have to do what you have been doing in our state.

Zastavarian

Great answers everyone, thanks!

SouthernBoy:

I've been told in the past by a few people I've known to OC that if you carry in your car in VA, it has to be in "plain view" or stored away. I was told a cop might not see the firearm inside the holster and when he finally does, he could consider it concealed and thus your screwed(i don't have a CC permit). I was told put it on the passenger seat or between the seats and the center console, just not ON you. Ok so you're saying not so?

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

SouthernBoy:

I've been told in the past by a few people I've known to OC that if you carry in your car in VA, it has to be in "plain view" or stored away. I was told a cop might not see the firearm inside the holster and when he finally does, he could consider it concealed and thus your screwed(i don't have a CC permit). I was told put it on the passenger seat or between the seats and the center console, just not ON you. Ok so you're saying not so?

Code of Va. describing "concealed":
A. If any person carries about his person, hidden from common observation, (i) any pistol, revolver,...............
http://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/legp504.exe?000+cod+18.2-308

Therefore a gun NOT "hidden from common observation" is NOT concealed - make sense? Nothing says that said gun must be viewable 100% or from all 360 degrees. Just as an OCd handgun while on foot is only fully seen from your strong side and if nothing is between you and the viewer, so the condition is the same when you are in a vehicle - whether as the driver or as a passenger.

Further, carrying in a holster is does NOT make such concealed carry - in fact it is THE recommended way to OC. IHO - a loose gun on the seat or dash is just a missle at rest, waiting for you to hit the brakes before being launched.

We cannot make up the law and neither can LEOs.

Last edited:

SouthernBoy

SouthernBoy:

There have been some discussions about OC'ing in your car where your right side is your strong side and your gun is therefore, not visible to an officer at your driver's side window. However, that does not constitute a deliberate attempt to conceal your firearm and keep it "hidden from common observation". Grapeshot's response has some excellent points about this very thing. Another example might be if you were seated in a restaurant with your strong side against a wall or the walled side of a booth. Your intent is not to hide your firearm in those cases.

Lastly, Grapeshot mentioned the danger of having a handgun on a seat when having to hit the brakes hard and the fact that your gun will continue on as Newton so eloquently posed. And event took place in Miami in April 1986 where of all people, an FBI agent did just this (put his gun on the seat between his legs as I recall. It wound up on the floor when the over four minute gun battle began.

Your holster is your friend. I lieu of that, a cup holder or similar location in one's console can offer a measure of protection and accessibility if and when needed.

waapl01

open carry while in ur car.

There have been some discussions about OC'ing in your car where your right side is your strong side and your gun is therefore, not visible to an officer at your driver's side window. However, that does not constitute a deliberate attempt to conceal your firearm and keep it "hidden from common observation". Grapeshot's response has some excellent points about this very thing. Another example might be if you were seated in a restaurant with your strong side against a wall or the walled side of a booth. Your intent is not to hide your firearm in those cases.

Lastly, Grapeshot mentioned the danger of having a handgun on a seat when having to hit the brakes hard and the fact that your gun will continue on as Newton so eloquently posed. And event took place in Miami in April 1986 where of all people, an FBI agent did just this (put his gun on the seat between his legs as I recall. It wound up on the floor when the over four minute gun battle began.

Your holster is your friend. I lieu of that, a cup holder or similar location in one's console can offer a measure of protection and accessibility if and when needed.
Easy solution get a CCW permit, u can carry in ur car when not in plain site, step out of ur vehicle and still be open carrying, provided ur eligible for a CCW permit. The best of both worlds.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Easy solution get a CCW permit, u can carry in ur car when not in plain site, step out of ur vehicle and still be open carrying, provided ur eligible for a CCW permit. The best of both worlds.

The point is though that you do NOT need a permit to OC in your vehicle in Va. You can carry a gun in a holster inside a vehicle in the exact same way you would OC while walking. In Virginia, the vehicle changes nothing.

Pa. as well as some other states - yes, does make a difference.

Last edited:

eye95

The point is though that you do NOT need a permit to OC in your vehicle in Va. You can carry a gun in a holster inside a vehicle in the exact same way you would OC while walking. In Virginia, the vehicle changes nothing.

Pa. as well as some other states - yes, does make a difference.

In AL it makes a difference. :mad: New legislature, new governor. We are sending some lobbyists in to try to change this.

Dreamer

In NC, is makes a difference. Although there is no STATUTORY prohibition against open carrying in a holster while driving, there is Case Law that has established it is "concealed" under the definition of "concealed".

So if you want to OC on your hip while driving your car in NC, you need to have a recognized Concealed Carry Permit of some sort...

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
In NC, is makes a difference. Although there is no STATUTORY prohibition against open carrying in a holster while driving, there is Case Law that has established it is "concealed" under the definition of "concealed".

So if you want to OC on your hip while driving your car in NC, you need to have a recognized Concealed Carry Permit of some sort...

And as I understand it, you must notify the officer immediately that you are carrying.

SouthernBoy

This is true, though you can conceal your handgun in your car without having to have a CHP in Virginia. The CHP offers some other benefits and though I personally do not like to have to apply for a CHP (asking permission to exercise a natural right is somehow alien to an American), it is good to have a CHP in the event the unexpected occurs.

eye95

Asking permission to exercise a right should be alien to an American. However, many Americans take that asking for permission so in stride that they are shocked when we don't have to ask for permission.

It was astounding this weekend at the gun show how many people insisted that OC was lawful with a permit and were incredulous when I pointed out that the ALSC said it was a right that the State could not regulate.

We need to help reorient Americans to the notion that it is the government who should be asking us for permission to do what it does, not vice versa.