• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Most Of You Guys are Breaking the Law For Sure...

The Expert

After getting a little advice about carrying a knife here I did a quick search of local ordinances and found that, as most people here probably carry some type of pocket knife of some type, you all are LAWBREAKERS!

Southgate bans carrying a knife concealed. No length is specified. You could carry it open I guess but that won't help much because everyone drives and you can't carry a knife in a vehicle concealed or otherwise. Again, with no length exceptions that means all knives.

Same goes with Ann Arbor except they exclude a knife carried by someone who is fishing. I guess the issue got brought up once when fisherman was confronted while carrying his fillet knife. If you're in Southgate with your fillet knife, however, you're out of luck. You can't have that bugger in your car bud.

If you are a CPL owner and carry a knife on you on a daily basis and you get stopped and tell them that you are carrying a pistol like you should, how do they disarm you? Do they just ask for the gun or do they pat you down?

Can you refuse a pat-down as that is a form of a search and, having disclosed the pistol properly they have no reasonable cause to search you or your vehicle for additional weapons?

Scary stuff boys, scary stuff. I've been breaking the law all the time and not even knowing it. I wonder what other laws I break on a daily basis.

The Expert

We need to get an incorporation law for knives on the books. It needs to allow carry of knives up to 4" at a bare minimum, not 3".

But seriously...ANY knife? You can't even tote around a Gerber Multi in Southgate.

Last edited:

The Expert

Absolutely, especially with a CPL, I mean really, who is going to stab someone, if they are carrying a gun already?:banghead:

That's what I thought at first too. But after your roll it around in your head a bit you can see where it might come in handy and then you wonder if the original objection is on par with the old "Who needs a glock of a 5-shot j-frame will do"??

Sometimes bad people need to die quietly so that the other bad people don't know they are being hunted.

Last edited:

Sefner

Hmm... Even on U of M's campus we can carry knives. The folders have to be less than I think 3 inches in length and there is no length on non-folders, although I wouldn't carry a machete to class...

TheSzerdi

Southgate bans ridiculous...

Here it is from their website:

http://www.amlegal.com/nxt/gateway.dll/Michigan/southgatemi/codifiedordinancesofsouthgatemichigan?f=templates$fn=default.htm$3.0$vid=amlegal:southgate_mi

(have to copy paste due to wacked out link)

692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.

No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.

(Ord. 405. Passed 1-23-85.)

You also can't carry a toy gun.

692.07 REPLICA OR FACSIMILE FIREARMS.

(a) Except in self-defense, no person shall draw, exhibit or brandish a replica or facsimile of a firearm or simulate a firearm in a rude, angry or threatening manner with the intent to frighten, vex, harass or annoy any other person.

(b) As used in this section, "replica or facsimile of a firearm" means any device or object made of plastic, wood, metal or other material, which device or object is a replica, facsimile or toy version of, or is otherwise recognizable as, a pistol, revolver, shotgun, sawed-off shotgun, rifle, machine gun, rocket launcher or other firearm. "Replica or facsimile of a firearm" includes, but is not limited to, toy guns, movie props, hobby models (either in kit form or fully assembled), starter pistols, air guns, inoperative firearms or other devices which might reasonably be perceived to be a real firearm.

(c) No person shall draw, exhibit or brandish a replica or facsimile of a firearm or simulate a firearm in the presence of a peace officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician or paramedic engaged in the performance of his or her duties, knowing or having reason to know that such police officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician or paramedic is engaged in the performance of his or her duties.

(Ord. 440. Passed 2-17-88.)

Both of these are misdemeanors.

202.99 GENERAL CODE PENALTY; COMPLICITY.

(a) General Penalty. Whenever, in these Codified Ordinances, or in any technical or other code adopted by reference in these Codified Ordinances, or in any rule, regulation or order promulgated or made under authority of any provision of these Codified Ordinances, or under authority of any technical or other code adopted by reference in these Codified Ordinances, or under authority of State law, an act is prohibited or is made or declared to be unlawful or an offense or a misdemeanor, or whenever the doing of any act is required or the failure to do any act is declared to be unlawful, where no specific penalty is otherwise provided, whoever violates or fails to comply with any such provision shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00) or imprisoned not more than ninety days, or both, for each offense. A separate offense shall be deemed committed each day during or on which a violation or noncompliance occurs or continues, unless otherwise provided.

(b) Surcharges; Equitable Remedies. The imposition of any penalty provided for in this section shall be in addition to any surcharge levied for a violation of or noncompliance with a provision of these Codified Ordinances, or a provision of a technical or other code adopted by reference in these Codified Ordinances, or a rule, regulation or order promulgated or made under authority of either, or under authority of State law, and shall be in addition to any equitable remedy provided by a provision of these Codified Ordinances, or a provision of a technical or other code adopted by reference in these Codified Ordinances, or a rule, regulation or order promulgated or made under authority of either, or under authority of State law, including the enforced removal of prohibited conditions.

(c) Complicity. Every person concerned in the commission of an offense under these Codified Ordinances, whether he or she directly commits the act constituting the offense or procures, counsels, aids or abets in its commission, may be prosecuted, indicted, tried and on conviction shall be punished as if he or she had directly committed such offense.

Last edited:

budlight

692.03 CARRYING CONCEALED WEAPONS.

No person shall have or carry any pistol, knife, dirk, knuckles, sling shot or other dangerous weapon concealed on his or her person.

(Ord. 405. Passed 1-23-85.)

Where does this say toy pistols? This is what I was referring too.

SlowDog

Well, IMHO, we need to start banging on the keyboards and doors in Lansing to get some sort of preemption law for knives. I use a knife in my line of work on a daily basis. Also, EMS workers use knives daily. Hunters must carry knives....etc....etc.....etc.

Today is a good day to start a plan to work on this. I'm sure there are some people on here way smarter then me who could establish some sort of grass roots organization. goin.....just sayin....

PDinDetroit

Well, I'm not breaking the law until they ban fingernail clippers. :)

Just do not put it in your POCKET!

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-750-227

THE MICHIGAN PENAL CODE (EXCERPT)
Act 328 of 1931

750.227 Concealed weapons; carrying; penalty.

Sec. 227.

(1) A person shall not carry a dagger, dirk, stiletto, a double-edged nonfolding stabbing instrument of any length, or any other dangerous weapon, except a hunting knife adapted and carried as such, concealed on or about his or her person, or whether concealed or otherwise in any vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business or on other land possessed by the person.

(2) A person shall not carry a pistol concealed on or about his or her person, or, whether concealed or otherwise, in a vehicle operated or occupied by the person, except in his or her dwelling house, place of business, or on other land possessed by the person, without a license to carry the pistol as provided by law and if licensed, shall not carry the pistol in a place or manner inconsistent with any restrictions upon such license.

(3) A person who violates this section is guilty of a felony, punishable by imprisonment for not more than 5 years, or by a fine of not more than $2,500.00.

PDinDetroit

Remind me again when they define fingernail clippers as a dangerous weapon. Until then, I believe I'm relatively safe from prosecution. :)

I am not sure that MI Law defines exactly what a "dangerous weapon" is. That is a problem...

I hope you knew my post was in jest and hope you are feeling better every day.