• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Most Of You Guys are Breaking the Law For Sure...

jeremy05

lol I carry this

http://www.benchmade.com/products/3300

I bought it at first cause I love benchmade, but the knife comes out with so little force and gets dirty pretty fast and will cause a malfunction. I have to send it out every few months to get sharpened and cleaned.

Not worth it, but has a cool factor.

Big Gay Al

Michigan Moderator
I am not sure that MI Law defines exactly what a "dangerous weapon" is. That is a problem...

I hope you knew my post was in jest and hope you are feeling better every day.
I figured as much. But yeah, I'm feeling better almost every day, although, there are some days I don't feel so well, but I guess that's the be expected too. :)

DanC

The Court also noted MCL 750.226 does not prohibit the carrying of any weapon (including a knife with a blade over three inches in length) for purposes of self-defense.

MI C H I G A N S T A T E P O L I C E
LEGAL UPDATE
NO. 84
JUNE 30, 2010
CRIMINAL LAW AND PROCEDURE MANUAL

Does MI law over rule local law?

smellslikemichigan

Campaign Veteran
Well, IMHO, we need to start banging on the keyboards and doors in Lansing to get some sort of preemption law for knives. I use a knife in my line of work on a daily basis. Also, EMS workers use knives daily. Hunters must carry knives....etc....etc.....etc.

Today is a good day to start a plan to work on this. I'm sure there are some people on here way smarter then me who could establish some sort of grass roots organization. goin.....just sayin....

here in st clair, we have the same ridiculous knife ordinance with the following exceptions:
if it's a hunting knife and you are going to or from said activity
if it's a tool of your trade
if you are a boyscout

yep, children can have knives, but no one else... :banghead:

PT111

This would be funny if it were not serious. Almost every juridistiction has some kind of law that is almost impossible to abide byt that was passed by some legislative group not taking into account what the actual law said or in too many cases not even reading it before voting.

In the city where I live it is illegal to fire a gun, slingshot, bow and arrow etc. and makes no exception for toys or anything else. I have been unable to find anywhere in the codes where LEO are excluded from this and it does not make any exclusions for self-defense. Now out state legislature did make an exception this past session that a person could shoot a rabid animal inside any city that was threatening their famly as long as it was on their own property and that the contigous property consists of at leat 50 acres (not sure of the exact number). So if you have a very large estate inside a city (ie very rich) and Old Yeller starts to bite your child you can shoot him. Otherwise you have to just beat him off with a stick or yell for him to stop. But if you are a LEO and shoot him the DA will look the other way even if he is breaking the same law. What good is our great castle doctrine law in SC if I am not allowed to shoot the BG breaking into my house.

Before any law is passed it should be read in full in front of those voting on it. That way the Obamacare bill would still be being read.

aadvark

Jared

I've been saying this for a while

Wow, other people are starting to notice. Maybe people should start writing or calling state reps to get a complete weapons preemption, like what Oregon and Wyoming have. We also need a repeal of the knife bans, our knife laws are terrible, some of the worst in the country.

The knife laws would not even stand up to a rational basis standard. There is no justified reason to say someone can not carry a knife of any configuration (a blackjack as well) when you can carry a firearm.

Instead of a lawsuit, a change in law would be cheaper, and it would be nice if someone contacted their reps over this issue besides me.

NHCGRPR45

my take on knives is this. the second amendment says " to keep and bear arms" arms IMO means weapons, so how could it not apply to one of the oldest most widley used weapons of history, we had knives and swords for defense longer than we have had firearms! and will have knives after firearms! so why do we have such silly laws against knives??? because IMHO they are scarrier than guns to some, i have heard this statement " i would rather be shot than stabbed!" or at least the gunshot is quick getting stabbed takes longer! and just about everyone has cut themselves, and remember how much it sucked, not everyone has shot themselves.

not many like to see themselves bleed, it can be a very disturbing sight, especially if its a decent cut! oh and movies don't help either,,,i am sure everyone can recall some guy getting stabbed and seeing the terror and anguish on the face of the actor! but when somebody gets shot its made quick, they fall, they die. or they explode:eek:. or some combination of that but its quick. :p

knives should be included with any "carry" license, or best case simply made legal across the board, no restrictions, exept maybe to carreer criminals or violent offenders,

thats my "O"

PT111

On the rather be shot that stabbed comment there was a fellow that on the subject of getting into fights, getting cut, shot beaten etc. I had great respect for his opinion as he had been through it all. Crazy I know but alcohol can make some people do stupid things. However he told me that if you want someone to leave you alone from now on you have to cut them. He said that shooting or beating would only make them mad (unless you killed them) and want revenge. However if you left someone holding their guts in their hand and the scar to remind them they would avoid you from then on. He always carried a hawk bill knife and wouldn't hesitate to use it if necessary. As I say I respected his opinion on that subject due to his experience in the juke joints.

Bailenforcer

I agree

The knife laws are actually racist in nature and go back to the days where Mexicans were known to carry knives. The hysteria over Mexicans carrying knives was big in the 1960s when I was a boy and carried into the late 70s till it kinda became a forgotten folk lore. I am surprised some of those over age 50 didn't remember this. This came from the Zoot Suit riots where Mexican gangs in Southern California regularly attacked soldiers coming back from WW II and one Sailor was almost killed a by a vicious attack on him and his girlfriend which resulted in a massive riot with well over 5000 soldiers running a rampage in revenge through the Barrios of Southern California after a series of vicious attacks on soldiers by Mexican gang members. According to the US Government and the media well over 54,000 Mexican illegals went south back to Mexico as fear of reprisals spread.

Sadly the internet has done more to destroy history with revisionist lies than safeguard it. Now there are 50 sites promoting the Zoot Suit riots as Whites being racist than what really happened and ignore the fact that many black soldiers joined in that fracas against the Mexican gangs.

my take on knives is this. the second amendment says " to keep and bear arms" arms IMO means weapons, so how could it not apply to one of the oldest most widley used weapons of history, we had knives and swords for defense longer than we have had firearms! and will have knives after firearms! so why do we have such silly laws against knives??? because IMHO they are scarrier than guns to some, i have heard this statement " i would rather be shot than stabbed!" or at least the gunshot is quick getting stabbed takes longer! and just about everyone has cut themselves, and remember how much it sucked, not everyone has shot themselves.

not many like to see themselves bleed, it can be a very disturbing sight, especially if its a decent cut! oh and movies don't help either,,,i am sure everyone can recall some guy getting stabbed and seeing the terror and anguish on the face of the actor! but when somebody gets shot its made quick, they fall, they die. or they explode:eek:. or some combination of that but its quick. :p

knives should be included with any "carry" license, or best case simply made legal across the board, no restrictions, exept maybe to carreer criminals or violent offenders,

thats my "O"

Last edited: