• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Ive got a Home Defense question

army74

Since i OC. Lets say im not home my wife and kids are home alone is it legal for her to grab my Marlin 22lr which has a 10rd clip and use it for her protection. She doesnt want a handgun she likes rifles. Its in my name the marlin.

Last edited:

Sefner

I assume you mean in the event of a home invasion and that she would not be leaving the house with it.

Is your wife legally allowed to be in possession of a firearm?

If so, then yes, she may use the gun in the house to defend herself and the children.

As usual, I recommend that a scenario is practiced, a safe room is decided upon, and your wife receive training.

Last edited:

stainless1911

Banned
I would say that the kids should be involved in the training, so that they, your wife, and you all know what to expect from one another. You don't want the SHTF, and the kids to be standing there with a big :question: on their faces.

CharleyMarbles

I assume you mean in the event of a home invasion and that she would not be leaving the house with it.

Is your wife legally allowed to be in possession of a firearm?

If so, then yes, she may use the gun in the house to defend herself and the children.

As usual, I recommend that a scenario is practiced, a safe room is decided upon, and your wife receive training.

I take exception to the part about wether or not she is "legally allowed" ??

I am currently bared the right to selfdefence but the wife has weapons. I garentee if I am home and SHTF wether or not she is home I will be manning a defensive position and I WILL be armed !!!!!

I would AND WILL bet my life that when I face a jury of my peers they will not fualt me for shooting my attacker, because I know when I can and when I CANNOT engage a threat. When the LEO's showup and find my attacker laying there neatly perforated holding a weapon I somehow doubt I will even be charged.

Sounds like bravado but I'd rather go to prison then to the mourge.

I have had the what to do in a SHTF situation talk with the family and they all know to head for the basement and where EXACTLY they are to be for me to beable to effectivly defend them. I am blessed with a natural fatal funnel built into the house for anyone to get to my family in the assinged position they HAVE to come thru it to get there :)

Last edited:

budlight

In the home anyone using the weapon is safe unless they are prohibited by law from possessing/using a weapon. Even then, if it's a good shoot, most prosecutors won't make an issue out of it unless it's a bad shoot. They have to stop and think that if the case went to trial, how would a jury feel about someone defending their life or own home.

Bronson

Its in my name the marlin.

Since MI doesn't register long guns there is no "in your name." You may be the person who purchased it but you are free to give or sell it to anyone who is legally allowed to possess a firearm with no silly governmental intrusion or paperwork. So "give" it to her if it makes you feel better.

Bronson

Last edited:

Sefner

I take exception to the part about wether or not she is "legally allowed" ??

I am currently bared the right to selfdefence but the wife has weapons. I garentee if I am home and SHTF wether or not she is home I will be manning a defensive position and I WILL be armed !!!!!

I would AND WILL bet my life that when I face a jury of my peers they will not fualt me for shooting my attacker, because I know when I can and when I CANNOT engage a threat. When the LEO's showup and find my attacker laying there neatly perforated holding a weapon I somehow doubt I will even be charged.

Sounds like bravado but I'd rather go to prison then to the mourge.

I have had the what to do in a SHTF situation talk with the family and they all know to head for the basement and where EXACTLY they are to be for me to beable to effectivly defend them. I am blessed with a natural fatal funnel built into the house for anyone to get to my family in the assinged position they HAVE to come thru it to get there :)

I gather, from this barely coherent train wreck of the English language, that you don't agree with me saying whether or not she is legally allowed to possess a firearm.

OP asked if it was legal for his wife to use the weapon in self defense. Part of using the weapon in self defense is possessing the weapon (which MI law defines as holding in your hands). If his wife is a convicted felon (not saying she is, just answering the question) then it is illegal for her to possess a firearm and thus it would not be legal for her to use the firearm in self defense.

OP was not asking whether or not his wife should use the weapon, or whether it is moral, or some other question. He was asking a legal question that I answered. I'm glad that you think that you could convince a jury that your actions would be in self defense but that's no the crime OP's wife would be charged with, it would be whether or not she illegally possessed a firearm at the time of the shooting, and if she is lawfully unable to possess the firearm then she would be committing the crime of illegally possessing a firearm. The jury decides whether or not the crime occurred (if this case even went to jury). not whether or not the actions following the crime were allowed. That would be a different case.

Fisherman

I would say that the kids should be involved in the training, so that they, your wife, and you all know what to expect from one another. You don't want the SHTF, and the kids to be standing there with a big :question: on their faces.

While this is true enough, you don't to have them walking around afraid of living and being kids. We're not there yet.

I'm curious. what does that mean in your sig about copyrights?

stainless1911

Banned
RE copyrights. Millions of videos have been pulled from youtube due to so called copyright infringements. People buy a CD, the company and the artist get their money, and the person who bought it then puts it on youtube. Then, the lawyers for the music company cry and scream because they aren't getting paid for it again. They sold it. Besides, anything put on the internet is fair game, including music. These so called "pirated" videos get pulled down based on these copyright claims, bye bye Mrs. American pie. Even though the artist, nor the company has been able to prove any loss. Whatever happened to the days of the dual cassette player, when you wanted a song, you just dubbed it from a friend? You weren't called names, and then sued. You just had music to listen to, the musicians and record companies still got sickeningly rich. The people responsible for pulling down the songs are the real pirates, they are the ones stealing music from the people. This is hurting the music industry, and the musicians by costing them free advertising. Someone uploads a song, others hear it, like it, and want to hear more. So, they either buy the CD, because few bands have every single song available, or the person will go to a concert, and likely buy merchandise while they are there. On the other hand, people like Metallica and Jewel, who invent these problems, just cost themselves money, they shoot themselves in the foot, and many people just boycott their band.

Bronson

sultan62

RE copyrights. Millions of videos have been pulled from youtube due to so called copyright infringements. People buy a CD, the company and the artist get their money, and the person who bought it then puts it on youtube. Then, the lawyers for the music company cry and scream because they aren't getting paid for it again. They sold it. Besides, anything put on the internet is fair game, including music. These so called "pirated" videos get pulled down based on these copyright claims, bye bye Mrs. American pie. Even though the artist, nor the company has been able to prove any loss. Whatever happened to the days of the dual cassette player, when you wanted a song, you just dubbed it from a friend? You weren't called names, and then sued. You just had music to listen to, the musicians and record companies still got sickeningly rich. The people responsible for pulling down the songs are the real pirates, they are the ones stealing music from the people. This is hurting the music industry, and the musicians by costing them free advertising. Someone uploads a song, others hear it, like it, and want to hear more. So, they either buy the CD, because few bands have every single song available, or the person will go to a concert, and likely buy merchandise while they are there. On the other hand, people like Metallica and Jewel, who invent these problems, just cost themselves money, they shoot themselves in the foot, and many people just boycott their band.

Sorry for the continued off topic discussion, but I once saw a really good article about buying the physical goods vs. buying the licensed music. If I bought the physical goods, I can do whatever I want with it. If I bought the license, the music should be provided to free for me if I lose the CD, or it's scratched, broken, etc. This is extremely simplified, but the basic gist is there.

scot623

Are felons allowed to have firearms in their home, even though they may not be the owner of said firearm? If not the "temporary possession in the course of self defense" the courts allowed as reasonable may not apply.

CharleyMarbles

Are felons allowed to have firearms in their home, even though they may not be the owner of said firearm? If not the "temporary possession in the course of self defense" the courts allowed as reasonable may not apply.

As it was explained to me my wife is allowed to posess firears and cannot be barred her right's because I am, so I don't own any weapons she does. She also lives at the same address as I do so that is where her arms are stored. If there was an incident where I needed to defend myself or my family in my house I don't see any reason why my possesion of a weapon owned by my wife would not be able to be concidered a Justified possesion for the perposes of selfdefence.

Bailenforcer

Nothing illegal here.

Even if she grabbed your glock to resist a home invasion it is legal.

Since i OC. Lets say im not home my wife and kids are home alone is it legal for her to grab my Marlin 22lr which has a 10rd clip and use it for her protection. She doesn't want a handgun she likes rifles. Its in my name the marlin.

Bailenforcer

Really

We always are there. We will always be there. Children don't worry like adults do. They wont have the lives ruined by knowing how to defend themselves.

Yes the children if mature enough should know. I am a bit confused as to what planet you live on to say we are not there yet. If it wasn't Indians, bears, Mountain Lions or criminals even our ancestors had bee there as you call it. All over this country today we have violent home invasions, and worse. Most we never see on the nightly news.

If the children are mature enough why not. Remember a 16 year old is still a child.

While this is true enough, you don't to have them walking around afraid of living and being kids. We're not there yet.

I'm curious. what does that mean in your sig about copyrights?