• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

wrightme

I do not "agree that government has a role in curbing the excesses of capitalism" and would not "endorse some social programs," as "most" of us OCDO contributors have been accused of doing.

Anyone else object to being painted with this broad brush?

Yes. Me.

The Donkey

Touchy aren't we?

So I guess you all are enjoying the mortgage crisis brought on -- among other reasons -- by hedge fund speculation.

In fact, you probably mist up when you think back to the good old days of the commodity trusts, Standard Oil, the big railoads, et al. when the Rockafellers, Carnegies, Vanderbuilts, (SP!) controlled Congress and virtually all trade.

Yep: the Sherman Act and the Clayton Act as yet another progressivist plot to bring the Reds in.

Ah, the good old days of smallpox and polio; of widows forced into prostitution; and orphans into workhouses; of growing up never having to worry about grades because you couldn't afford to go to school; of no paved roads; and no rural electrification; of cholera in drinking water; and rivers on fire in Ohio; etc. etc. etc.

Yep, if it weren't for those damn progressives, we would be rid of all that collectivist s**t.

But enough thread degradation: lets hear it again for that kid with the flag on the bicycle: he has a road to ride on, and a school to ride to!

Dreamer

I think that's a great idea! We should organize as many people on OC to each purchase a flag and mail it to the school.

Except the only problem with that is that is is essentially impossible to purchase a small US flag that is actually MADE in the US. Most flags smaller than 3'x5' are now made exclusively in China...

OldCurlyWolf

Us liberals, my friend, are still pro-liberty.

"Progressives" are people who are pro-progress.

It is best to use words that describe people the way the people who are described by the words use them.

Woodrow Wilson, one of the worst racist presidents in this country's history was a progressive. I would not call him pro progress.

I would not call wanting a nanny state government, as the current president (a progressive) wants progress. I call such stands very regressive to personal freedom and liberties.

The current crop of "progressives" are mostly people that have the sense of a gnat.

eye95

Many criminals make progress toward their goals during their lives of crime.

Not all progress is good. One must ask, "What are we progressing towards?" [strike]Liberals[/strike] Progressives would have us progress towards less Liberty, more of our lives and wealth turned over to them to determine how and for whom it will be used, and a cliff.

OldCurlyWolf

Many criminals make progress toward their goals during their lives of crime.

Not all progress is good. One must ask, "What are we progressing towards?" [strike]Liberals[/strike] Progressives would have us progress towards less Liberty, more of our lives and wealth turned over to them to determine how and for whom it will be used, and a cliff.

You DEFINITELY understand.:cool:

The Donkey

Woodrow Wilson, one of the worst racist presidents in this country's history was a progressive. I would not call him pro progress.

I would not call wanting a nanny state government, as the current president (a progressive) wants progress. I call such stands very regressive to personal freedom and liberties.

The current crop of "progressives" are mostly people that have the sense of a gnat.

In regard to the "Nanny State," Louis Black on last night's Daily Show:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/tue-november-16-2010/back-in-black---nanny-state

amzbrady

Maybe we could sell them to China to pay off some debt.

Does California still belong to US, or Mexico?

Except the only problem with that is that is is essentially impossible to purchase a small US flag that is actually MADE in the US. Most flags smaller than 3'x5' are now made exclusively in China...

The Bigger ones are made in India.

However....
If you watch Scarface backwards its about a guy who gives up cocaine and crime to follow his dream of becoming a dishwasher to earn enough money so he can visit Cuba.

Thats a good idea, I'm going to tape the next CNN broadcast on Illegal Immigration, run it backwards and watch them hop the fence and go home.