Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 62

Thread: DNR: "Don't shoot yourself"

  1. #1
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879

    DNR: "Don't shoot yourself"

    Just in case you guys had any questions about the upcoming gun-deer season, the smart people at the WDNR has some good advice.

    http://host.madison.com/news/state_a...65f64325c.html

    State wildlife officials are warning hunters not to shoot themselves as the November gun deer season approaches.

    Department of Natural Resources Hunter Education Administrator Tim Lawhern says self-inflicted injuries account for 40 to 50 percent of the total number of hunting incidents each year.

    Lawhern says hunters should remember to to never point a loaded gun at themselves or anyone else. They also should remember to keep their fingers out of the trigger guard until they're ready to fire.

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Just in case you guys had any questions about the upcoming gun-deer season, the smart people at the WDNR has some good advice.

    http://host.madison.com/news/state_a...65f64325c.html

    State wildlife officials are warning hunters not to shoot themselves as the November gun deer season approaches.

    Department of Natural Resources Hunter Education Administrator Tim Lawhern says self-inflicted injuries account for 40 to 50 percent of the total number of hunting incidents each year.

    Lawhern says hunters should remember to to never point a loaded gun at themselves or anyone else. They also should remember to keep their fingers out of the trigger guard until they're ready to fire.
    There, now you have been trained by the DNR.

  3. #3
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    There, now you have been trained by the DNR.
    Is that what that was? I thought it was my hand hitting my forehead at extremely high speed.

  4. #4
    McX
    Guest
    Jeez, me thinks i'll stay in town, out of the woods for awhile.

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    There, now you have been trained by the DNR.
    BASHING, You're BASHING another gun control advocacy group. Prepare to be assimilated.

  6. #6
    McX
    Guest
    I don't know Doug, i've been listening to talk radio, and it seems like the DNR is the new target of opportunity, even the Gov-to-be is on their case. I hear they have a lack of humanity, and too much authority. That's not for me to decide. But apparently a shake up is in the works for them. I would tend to make challenge on the point of them being a gun anything organization; tax collectors and enforcers to me. Your (amended) view?
    Last edited by McX; 11-12-2010 at 01:59 PM. Reason: multi-tasking typing errors- eating and typing dont mix

  7. #7
    Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Shotgun's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Madison, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,668
    Important safety tip: Don't cross the streams.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJ2WnRjzWs
    A. Gold

    Failure to comply may result in discipline up to and including termination.
    The free man is a warrior. - Nietzsche "Twilight of the Idols"

  8. #8
    Founder's Club Member Brass Magnet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Right Behind You!, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    2,818
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
    Important safety tip: Don't cross the streams.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJ2WnRjzWs
    Can't get youtube where I'm at but I can imagine the clip! LOL.
    R[ƎVO˩]UTION

    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

    Lex malla, lex nulla

  9. #9
    Regular Member Coded-Dude's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Roseville
    Posts
    317
    hunters should remember to to never point a loaded gun at themselves...
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

  10. #10
    Campaign Veteran GLOCK21GB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Green Bay, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    4,348
    soon the dipwads @ the DNR will make a new rule saying your rifle must be cased until you see the deer, then you can uncase it & load it.

    I think using napalm would be a more safe way of hunting, wouldn't be able to shoot yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALi78xSaP0Y
    Last edited by GLOCK21GB; 11-12-2010 at 06:15 PM.
    http://youtu.be/xWgVGu3OR4U AACFI, Wisconsin / Minnesota Carry Certified. Action Pistol & Advanced Action pistol concepts + Urban Carbine course. When the entitlement Zombies begin looting, pillaging, raping, burning & killing..remember HEAD SHOTS it's the only way to kill a Zombie. Stockpile food & water now.

    Please support your local,county, state & Federal Law enforcement agencies, right ???

  11. #11
    Regular Member hardballer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    West Coast of Wisconsin
    Posts
    925
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    soon the dipwads @ the DNR will make a new rule saying your rifle must be cased until you see the deer, then you can uncase it & load it.

    I think using napalm would be a more safe way of hunting, wouldn't be able to shoot yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALi78xSaP0Y
    Ya wouldn't have to bother making jerky after that either...

  12. #12
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by hardballer View Post
    Ya wouldn't have to bother making jerky after that either...
    True...but the fuel derivatives would kill the flavor.

    For the DNR to make such a statement sure doesnt say a whole lot for the Hunter Safety Instructors or the latest batch of Hunter Safety graduates.

    Shooting myself is the least of my concerns.

    For those that are forced to use Public Hunting Land I am very surprised the Drunken Naked Rednecks havent made the use of body armor mandatory.

    LR Yote 312
    Last edited by LR Yote 312; 11-12-2010 at 08:43 PM. Reason: spelling
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  13. #13
    Regular Member johnny amish's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    High altitude of Vernon County, ,
    Posts
    1,025
    Hmmm, don't shoot myself while deer hunting......Check
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox


    We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

  14. #14
    Banned
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chilton, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    3,481
    Quote Originally Posted by Glock34 View Post
    soon the dipwads @ the DNR will make a new rule saying your rifle must be cased until you see the deer, then you can uncase it & load it.

    I think using napalm would be a more safe way of hunting, wouldn't be able to shoot yourself. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ALi78xSaP0Y
    And your steaks would be cooked for you!

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Central Wisconsin, ,
    Posts
    768
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Hmmm, don't shoot myself while deer hunting......Check
    Certainly don't shoot yourself 24 hrs prior to deer season. That would really be bad.

  16. #16
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Hmmm, don't shoot myself while deer hunting......Check
    Quote Originally Posted by phred View Post
    Certainly don't shoot yourself 24 hrs prior to deer season. That would really be bad.
    That wouldnt have anything to do with the amount of alcohol the Dumb Naked Rednecks are expecting us to consume in deer camp, Would it ??

    With so many being unemployed and not being able to afford a license about the only thing left to do IS drink.

    LR Yote 312
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    I see the DNR of almost every state getting bashed on this and about every other gun forum I visit sometimes for good reason. They seem to keep saying stupid things such as "Don't shoot yourself" while out hunting. With 40-50% of all gun accidents involving people shooting themselves I am not so sure that it isn't a stupid warning. I can't remember whether it was just a warning or an outright ban in one area on white toilet paper. It seems that they had several people shot in the woods while using white toilet paper as it is intended to be used by others thinking they were white tailed deer. How do you mistake someone wiping their butt with a deer?

    The real stupidity isn't from the DNR but rather from the general public and apparently stupidity runs rampant in the general public. Similar to the ban on loaded OC at gun shows I trust myself to know and follow the four rules of gun safety and maybe I trust you. But I don't trust the rest of the idiots at the show or those out in the woods hunting. It may be stupid to tell people to not shoot themselves, maybe een to tell them 100 times. For some reason it doesn't sink in for a lot of people and they keep thinking it can't and won't happen to me. In fact I would be willing to be that every person that has shot themselves had said that before they did it.

    If someone can come up with a better solution for people shooting themselves then I am sure the DNR would like to hear about it. Until then it will just probably be more stupid statements for stupid people.

  18. #18
    Regular Member Old Grump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Blue River, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    387
    I don't see the problem. Most of the injuries are self inflicted or done by fellow hunters in the party. Seems like when you only touch a gun once a year you need to be reminded. Especially if you hit the woods on opening day with 3 hours of sleep and a hangover. DNR isn't to blame for stupid people, they give out good advice to people who won't pay attention and you jump down DNR throat. That doesn't make sense to me.

  19. #19
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    D'nR don't just give advice, also make unilateral regulations laws.

  20. #20
    Regular Member anmut's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Stevens Point WI, ,
    Posts
    879
    Quote Originally Posted by PT111 View Post
    I see the DNR of almost every state getting bashed on this and about every other gun forum I visit sometimes for good reason. They seem to keep saying stupid things such as "Don't shoot yourself" while out hunting. With 40-50% of all gun accidents involving people shooting themselves I am not so sure that it isn't a stupid warning. I can't remember whether it was just a warning or an outright ban in one area on white toilet paper. It seems that they had several people shot in the woods while using white toilet paper as it is intended to be used by others thinking they were white tailed deer. How do you mistake someone wiping their butt with a deer?

    The real stupidity isn't from the DNR but rather from the general public and apparently stupidity runs rampant in the general public. Similar to the ban on loaded OC at gun shows I trust myself to know and follow the four rules of gun safety and maybe I trust you. But I don't trust the rest of the idiots at the show or those out in the woods hunting. It may be stupid to tell people to not shoot themselves, maybe een to tell them 100 times. For some reason it doesn't sink in for a lot of people and they keep thinking it can't and won't happen to me. In fact I would be willing to be that every person that has shot themselves had said that before they did it.

    If someone can come up with a better solution for people shooting themselves then I am sure the DNR would like to hear about it. Until then it will just probably be more stupid statements for stupid people.
    Yeah, maybe 40-50% shoot themselves, I'll give you that. BUT you have to remember there's only a half dozen accidents A SEASON. So three people shoot themselves and that's why we need a nanny note from the DNR? Out of the thousands out there firing high-power rifles?

    I believe your chances are better to get killed in a car accident driving up to your hunting spot than a firearm related injury, so where's the note on that?

    It's just more typical "guns are dumb and owned by dumb people" way of thinking from Madison.

  21. #21
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by anmut View Post
    Yeah, maybe 40-50% shoot themselves, I'll give you that. BUT you have to remember there's only a half dozen accidents A SEASON. So three people shoot themselves and that's why we need a nanny note from the DNR? Out of the thousands out there firing high-power rifles?

    I believe your chances are better to get killed in a car accident driving up to your hunting spot than a firearm related injury, so where's the note on that?

    It's just more typical "guns are dumb and owned by dumb people" way of thinking from Madison.
    A friend of mine when I was a senior in high school was out hunting and leaned his shotgun up against a fence while he crossed it. The gun fell over and fired killing him. Another friend was climbing down from a deer stand when his rifle fired and killed him. Another good friend is missing four fingers from one hand due to a hunting accident. There may be only a few accidents each year but that is way too many to say there is no reason to remind people to practice safety every day. I onlt wish that someone had been nanny enough to remind them of what they knew not to do but didn't pay attention.

    And yes I have some friends that died from being stupid in cars. Safety is a 24/7/365.25 thing that everyone needs to be reminded of constantly.

    I did run across this where it lists all the huntng accidents in WI for 2007. Looks like only 4 of 27 were self-inflicted so that is lower than the 40-50% figure.

    http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/en.../huntstats.htm
    Last edited by PT111; 11-13-2010 at 06:56 PM. Reason: To add link.

  22. #22
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dousman, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    101

    Wink lol

    this is the reason why I only bowhunt now. because according to the DNR were all too dumb to not shoot ourselves, and its pretty damn tough to shoot yourself with a bow. or is it?
    I like GUNS

  23. #23
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    , South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    2,247
    Quote Originally Posted by OCglock1988 View Post
    this is the reason why I only bowhunt now. because according to the DNR were all too dumb to not shoot ourselves, and its pretty damn tough to shoot yourself with a bow. or is it?
    http://www.washingtoninjuryattorneyb...claims_li.html

    Killed by his hunting partner without even shooting it.

    Also http://www.safebackyards.com/Accidents.htm

    While it is true that accidents with bows and arrows are less common than other forms of hunting, they do happen -- see below. Most go unreported, as people remove errant arrows from their yards, homes, garages, etc., without notifying the authorities.
    Last edited by PT111; 11-13-2010 at 07:14 PM.

  24. #24
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Dousman, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    101

    interesting links

    Ive never questioned the lethality of my bow, and treat it just like I do a firearm
    I like GUNS

  25. #25
    Guest
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Green Bay
    Posts
    232
    hmm....no comment. but ****, there goes my shooting myself plans for next weekend.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •