Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: National Open Carry Day

National Open Carry Day

I just wanted to let you Michigan folks about this thread. Its proposing a National Open Carry Day. I think its a great idea and I hope you guys will participate in this discussion.

If the link doesn't work for you, do a search for National Open Carry Dinner?

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...n-Carry-Dinner

Last edited by Ruger95; 11-12-2010 at 02:48 PM.

The link you posted is a file on your desktop...

ETA: I can appreciate a *nix user. Errr, maybe a crApple?
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

Quote Originally Posted by TheQ View Post
    The link you posted is a file on your desktop...

ETA: I can appreciate a *nix user. Errr, maybe a crApple?
    Can't link it. Haven't learned how to use this forum yet.

I clicked on the link and went right to it. If the link doesn't work for you, do a search for National Open Carry Dinner?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruger95 View Post
    I clicked on the link and went right to it. If the link doesn't work for you, do a search for National Open Carry Dinner?
    Of course it works for you. The file is saved physically on your desktop!
    Call for a cop, call for an ambulance, and call for a pizza. See who shows up first.

I am not a lawyer (merely an omnipotent member of a continuum). The contents of this post are not a substitute for sound legal advice from a licensed attorney in your jurisdiction.

Comments and views stated in my post are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of Michigan Open Carry, Inc. unless stated otherwise in the post.

If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

Quote Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
    He updated the link now. It works. Originally it was file:///.....

I like the idea a lot. But it really should only be one day per year. 1 highly publicized nationally
    coordinated day would be great.

this is a great idea.

Execellent Idea!
    When Guns are OUTLAWED, Ill be an OUTLAW
    American Tactical Imports C45 45 AP
    S&W sigma 40 Cal
    Bersa 380 Thunder Plus
    Hi point C9 9mm
    Chiappa 1911-22 Semi-Auto .22 LR

Im not a lawyer, but I did play a Klingon once at Universal Studios

Several years ago... somewhere around 2002/2004... I contacted the NRA concerning a national open carry day.........................

the sound of crickets was deafening.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Banned
    hahaha. The NRA is like a bullet with a dead primer. Intimidating unless you need to use it.

Every day is an open carry day.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Every day is an open carry day.
    +1

Ok... here I go again making myself unpopular...

Over the past decades the NRA has done much good for gun rights... and some bad. And, over the past decades, the NRA has done some things I completely agree with.... and vehemently disagree with.

But..... for all it's faults it is the NRA the politicians listen to because of the huge block of votes represented by said NRA.

Now.... can anyone tell me of another organization, any other gun rights organization, that has as much... or more... influence with politicians than the NRA?

There isn't... and we all know it. So... don't like how the NRA represents gun owners/carriers all the time? May I be so bold as to suggest using the same process as is used to change government... and get involved within the NRA and change it instead of just folks bashing it?
    Last edited by Bikenut; 11-13-2010 at 09:09 AM.
    Gun control isn't about the gun at all.... for those who want gun control it is all about their own fragile egos, their own lack of self esteem, their own inner fears, and most importantly... their own desire to dominate others. And an openly carried gun is a slap in the face to all of those things.

Quote Originally Posted by Bikenut View Post
    Now.... can anyone tell me of another organization, any other gun rights organization, that has as much... or more... influence with politicians than the NRA?
    Are you talking at a national level or just state level?
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Quote Originally Posted by protias View Post
    Are you talking at a national level or just state level?
    Just bouncing off your post... not responding personally to you or anyone.

The NRA has traditionally worked on the national level. It would be nice if the NRA were to offer more support to state level organizations. But then, if folks want that to happen the way to do it would be to work within the NRA itself to get it done.

All I'm saying is that it seems many folks are quick to complain about the NRA... and there is justification for some of that as I well know... while forgetting that there isn't any other organization out there that has the amount of political power that the NRA has.

Would it not be advantageous to work within the NRA to influence it's focus and help get things done rather than folks just complaining and withholding support?

Again... what other gun rights organization is there out there... anywhere out there... that holds as large a block of votes and amount of political power that the NRA has?

Don't like what the NRA does? Change it. Focus all that power into the areas you want.
    Last edited by Bikenut; 11-13-2010 at 09:45 AM.

Don't like what the NRA does? Change it. Focus all that power into the areas you want.
    Bikenut, I always enjoy reading your posts and I don't mean any disrespect but what does this have to do with a National Open Carry Day? My point in starting this thread was to get everyone to move to the original post on this subject. The link in my first post is working now and I hope all will participate there. We can do this without the help of the NRA.

Bikenut, I always enjoy reading your posts and I don't mean any disrespect but what does this have to do with a National Open Carry Day? My point in starting this thread was to get everyone to move to the original post on this subject. The link in my first post is working now and I hope all will participate there. We can do this without the help of the NRA.
    No disrespect taken, or intended for you or your idea, Ruger95.

I injected the NRA into this discussion with the hopes that folks would pester the NRA into supporting a national open carry day because the NRA does have much power and could bring open carry into the mainstream faster than all the grass roots efforts.... if the NRA could be talked into it.

Nothing wrong with gathering support from the biggest gorilla in the room.............

No disrespect taken, or intended for you or your idea, Ruger95.

I injected the NRA into this discussion with the hopes that folks would pester the NRA into supporting a national open carry day because the NRA does have much power and could bring open carry into the mainstream faster than all the grass roots efforts.... if the NRA could be talked into it.

Nothing wrong with gathering support from the biggest gorilla in the room.............
    Well as you said they didn't respond. I don't know what the NRA thinks of our particular stake in the gun-rights quest but If they see that we can get this thing going on a national level they may want to endorse it. They also may not like unwanted competition in this area. I may be full of it but just my random thoughts.

Well as you said they didn't respond. I don't know what the NRA thinks of our particular stake in the gun-rights quest but If they see that we can get this thing going on a national level they may want to endorse it. They also may not like unwanted competition in this area. I may be full of it but just my random thoughts.
    Your thoughts, random or not, are always welcomed.

But I would like you to know that I support a national open carry day just as much today as I did back before open carry became popular and noticed. I firmly believe that only good could come of thousands of folks legally open carrying all at the same time on the same day.

I think this is a great idea. If I can get my workplace to recognize it as a holiday, I'd never have to work again because I open carry every day.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by scot623 View Post
    I like the idea a lot. But it really should only be one day per year. 1 highly publicized nationally
    coordinated day would be great.
    yes, multiple days would be redundant, one day preferably in the summer,,,,would be awesome!

Several years ago... somewhere around 2002/2004... I contacted the NRA concerning a national open carry day.........................

the sound of crickets was deafening.

they are a single issue group, and they do a great deal of good for most gun rights.and yes IMO they have indeed dropped the ball on some issues i found important, OC now being one of them, i don't know if they will ever openly support OC, my guess is not so much. we need only look at how some other gun owners look on us, we have all had an encounter with an "advid gun owner 2A supporter" who said this OC will bring the anti's down on our head and "ruin it for the rest of us" we have heard this argument before.

we as OC'ers are the minority as of now, IMO again, and until OC is more widely done we will remain so. it will be a while before we will be mainstream, if it ever happens, which i believe it will given time.

yet again IMO gun owners like to think we are all together in this but in fact gun owners are a divided group, just like any other controversial group, what gun owners need to do is all get on board with each other, stop the in fighting, and just stay together! if every gun owner in this country were to write one letter to there local representative that a, national concealed carry law for instance must be voted in and passed then i am quite certain it would be done without much trouble., or pick any realistic gun issue of your choice. the result would be the same, this may be wishful thinking on my part but i believe it could be done.

if every CPL holder wrote a letter to there rep to repeal the PFZ's then it would happen, but will it pass?? i think it would! but i am not to hopeful that it will pass anytime soon. there are more important issues at stake before this gets to the decision makers, jobs being #1

and some CPL holders want the PFZ's and dislike or disregard them simply to advoid the issue. i was one such individual, i would conceal on the premise that to be judged by 12 would be better than carried by 6. and that is a defeatist attitude! i thought by doing that i was somehow protecting myself, when in fact i was opening myself to fines and eventually arrest and loss of my right to defend myself! how does that help anything?

and those who are against open carry, gun dealers and gun owners and cpl holders among them lets not forget, focus on the wrong thing! it not about the gun to me its about the RIGHT TO DO IT! and no more or less than that! it can drive me to distraction when a fellow gun owner says "i don't think you should be able to do that", or "why do you think thats ok", or any of the other reasons that we as OC'ers have heard! how can you support the very amendments that gave birth to my abillity to OC, and rail against it at the same time? it makes no sense, am i the only one who feels like this? i hope not.

my point i suppose is until all gun owners get behind each other, and support all gun rights, then the only possable result is total loss of those rights, not in one fell swoop but, by small nibbles at the same cake. we will win small battles but eventually lose the war to the old premise of "divide and conquer" it will take a long time but it will eventually happen, sad but true.

i stand with those who would stand next to me in supporting a unified front. when we all stand together, we will win the true battle we fight, the battle against ourselves.

it exists, its real and if we look we will see it, some gun owners don't think we need "assault weapons?" some don't think we need hi-cap mags or silly things that reduce muzzle signature or muzzle flip, called "flash hiders" some disagree with semi-autos for hunting! who cares! is what i say! i could care less than nothing what your personal opinion about firearms is so long as you don't try to resrict my right to have whatever i deem necassary for me! don't support assault weapons don't support hi-cap mags don't support any of it, but don't force your ideas of what you think is right for you on me.

just support the real issue!

FIREARM OWNERSHIP!
    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security. Declaration of Independence July 4, 1776

Michigan Concealed Pistol Instructor. Cost 80.00 With advanced techniques included free. PM for more information!

To be honest though, don't we sort of have a national open carry day already? There's no other day I feel more strongly about open carrying than on July 4th. This nation earned its independence largely with the help of firearms, and we're one of the only nations left in the entire WORLD that allows their citizens to lawfully own and carry handguns. There is no day I'm more proud to be an American than on that day, and I know that if i wasn't an American, there's a damn good chance I wouldn't have that right.

So if we're taking a tally of votes here, the date I'm voting for is July 4th.
    Last edited by malignity; 11-14-2010 at 03:41 AM.
    All opinions posted on opencarry.org are my own, and do not necessarily reflect the views of opencarry.org or Michigan Open Carry Inc.

Quote Originally Posted by malignity View Post
    To be honest though, don't we sort of have a national open carry day already? There's no other day I feel more strongly about open carrying than on July 4th. This nation earned its independence largely with the help of firearms, and we're one of the only nations left in the entire WORLD that allows their citizens to lawfully own and carry handguns. There is no day I'm more proud to be an American than on that day, and I know that if i wasn't an American, there's a damn good chance I wouldn't have that right.

So if we're taking a tally of votes here, the date I'm voting for is July 4th.
    To begin.... please let me say something that has been bugging me for a long time... not about you Malignity or even about what you said... just a word you, I, and everyone, uses from time to time. The word "allow".

No one "allows" us to keep and bear arms. "We the people" have demanded that neither our own government... or anyone else... will be "allowed" to take our guns from us. To me that is a very important distinction... it is us who will NOT "allow" our guns to be taken... not the government that "allows" us to keep them.

Ok... my rant for the day is done.

Now, about the date for a "National Right to Keep and Bear Arms Day" (or whatever it is decided to be called)......... my opinion follows.

Wanting to tie that day into other significant days, like the 4th of July, would... to me... minimize and confuse both. I personally think that a stand alone day unconnected to any other celebration or significant date would best bring the right to keep and bear out into the dazzling bright spotlight all by itself...... exactly where it should be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast