• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

National Open Carry Day

B

Bikenut

Well as you said they didn't respond. I don't know what the NRA thinks of our particular stake in the gun-rights quest but If they see that we can get this thing going on a national level they may want to endorse it. They also may not like unwanted competition in this area. I may be full of it but just my random thoughts.

Your thoughts, random or not, are always welcomed.

But I would like you to know that I support a national open carry day just as much today as I did back before open carry became popular and noticed. I firmly believe that only good could come of thousands of folks legally open carrying all at the same time on the same day.

malignity

I think this is a great idea. If I can get my workplace to recognize it as a holiday, I'd never have to work again because I open carry every day. :banana:

NHCGRPR45

I like the idea a lot. But it really should only be one day per year. 1 highly publicized nationally
coordinated day would be great.

yes, multiple days would be redundant, one day preferably in the summer,,,,would be awesome!

Several years ago... somewhere around 2002/2004... I contacted the NRA concerning a national open carry day.........................

the sound of crickets was deafening.

they are a single issue group, and they do a great deal of good for most gun rights.and yes IMO they have indeed dropped the ball on some issues i found important, OC now being one of them, i don't know if they will ever openly support OC, my guess is not so much. we need only look at how some other gun owners look on us, we have all had an encounter with an "advid gun owner 2A supporter" who said this OC will bring the anti's down on our head and "ruin it for the rest of us" we have heard this argument before.

we as OC'ers are the minority as of now, IMO again, and until OC is more widely done we will remain so. it will be a while before we will be mainstream, if it ever happens, which i believe it will given time.:D

yet again IMO gun owners like to think we are all together in this but in fact gun owners are a divided group, just like any other controversial group, what gun owners need to do is all get on board with each other, stop the in fighting, and just stay together:exclaim:! if every gun owner in this country were to write one letter to there local representative that a, national concealed carry law for instance must be voted in and passed then i am quite certain it would be done without much trouble., or pick any realistic gun issue of your choice. the result would be the same, this may be wishful thinking on my part but i believe it could be done. :idea:

if every CPL holder wrote a letter to there rep to repeal the PFZ's then it would happen, but will it pass?? i think it would! but i am not to hopeful that it will pass anytime soon. there are more important issues at stake before this gets to the decision makers, jobs being #1

and some CPL holders want the PFZ's and dislike or disregard them simply to advoid the issue:mad:. i was one such individual, i would conceal on the premise that to be judged by 12 would be better than carried by 6:banghead:. and that is a defeatist attitude! i thought by doing that i was somehow protecting myself, when in fact i was opening myself to fines and eventually arrest and loss of my right to defend myself! how does that help anything?

and those who are against open carry, gun dealers and gun owners and cpl holders among them lets not forget, focus on the wrong thing:confused:! it not about the gun to me its about the RIGHT TO DO IT! and no more or less than that! it can drive me to distraction when a fellow gun owner says "i don't think you should be able to do that", or "why do you think thats ok", or any of the other reasons that we as OC'ers have heard:eek:! how can you support the very amendments that gave birth to my abillity to OC, and rail against it at the same time? it makes no sense, am i the only one who feels like this? i hope not.

my point i suppose is until all gun owners get behind each other, and support all gun rights, then the only possable result is total loss of those rights, not in one fell swoop but, by small nibbles at the same cake. we will win small battles but eventually lose the war to the old premise of "divide and conquer" it will take a long time but it will eventually happen, sad but true.

i stand with those who would stand next to me in supporting a unified front. when we all stand together, we will win the true battle we fight, the battle against ourselves.:banghead:

it exists, its real and if we look we will see it, some gun owners don't think we need "assault weapons?" some don't think we need hi-cap mags or silly things that reduce muzzle signature or muzzle flip, called "flash hiders" some disagree with semi-autos for hunting! who cares! is what i say! i could care less than nothing what your personal opinion about firearms is so long as you don't try to resrict my right to have whatever i deem necassary for me! don't support assault weapons don't support hi-cap mags don't support any of it, but don't force your ideas of what you think is right for you on me:cuss:.

just support the real issue!

FIREARM OWNERSHIP!:banana:

malignity

To be honest though, don't we sort of have a national open carry day already? There's no other day I feel more strongly about open carrying than on July 4th. This nation earned its independence largely with the help of firearms, and we're one of the only nations left in the entire WORLD that allows their citizens to lawfully own and carry handguns. There is no day I'm more proud to be an American than on that day, and I know that if i wasn't an American, there's a damn good chance I wouldn't have that right.

So if we're taking a tally of votes here, the date I'm voting for is July 4th.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

To be honest though, don't we sort of have a national open carry day already? There's no other day I feel more strongly about open carrying than on July 4th. This nation earned its independence largely with the help of firearms, and we're one of the only nations left in the entire WORLD that allows their citizens to lawfully own and carry handguns. There is no day I'm more proud to be an American than on that day, and I know that if i wasn't an American, there's a damn good chance I wouldn't have that right.

To begin.... please let me say something that has been bugging me for a long time... not about you Malignity or even about what you said... just a word you, I, and everyone, uses from time to time. The word "allow".

No one "allows" us to keep and bear arms. "We the people" have demanded that neither our own government... or anyone else... will be "allowed" to take our guns from us. To me that is a very important distinction... it is us who will NOT "allow" our guns to be taken... not the government that "allows" us to keep them.

Ok... my rant for the day is done.

Now, about the date for a "National Right to Keep and Bear Arms Day" (or whatever it is decided to be called)......... my opinion follows.

Wanting to tie that day into other significant days, like the 4th of July, would... to me... minimize and confuse both. I personally think that a stand alone day unconnected to any other celebration or significant date would best bring the right to keep and bear out into the dazzling bright spotlight all by itself...... exactly where it should be.

malignity

The reason I say allow is because full scale civil war could potentially erupt. Potentially. Do you think the gun owners in Canada, Australia and Great Britain went quietly? I doubt it, but their government did it anyway. Why were we all so quiet during the Clinton AWB? What stops the government from taking more? When will enough people say enough is enough? Semi-auto assault rifles? Hand guns? Long guns? Not enough gun owners can agree on that, and THAT is the problem. Meanwhile they slowly but surely chip away our rights because we can't agree.

Last edited:
B

Bikenut

The reason I say allow is because full scale civil war could potentially erupt. Potentially. Do you think the gun owners in Canada, Australia and Great Britain went quietly? I doubt it, but their government did it anyway. Why were we all so quiet during the Clinton AWB? What stops the government from taking more? When will enough people say enough is enough? Semi-auto assault rifles? Hand guns? Long guns? Not enough gun owners can agree on that, and THAT is the problem. Meanwhile they slowly but surely chip away our rights because we can't agree.

You and I are on the same side. What I was referring to is the anti gun agenda has been so insidiously sneakily psychologically effective that even us fervent gun owners/carriers are subconsciously thinking that we are being "allowed". And the very word "allow" means there is someone telling us what we can... and what we can't... do. Even in the area of what are supposed to be God given born with rights we have been indoctrinated to go and ask permission from someone.

Anyway... the word "allow" when used in reference to "rights" always gets my dander up... and usually results in a rant.

Back on topic...

A National Right to Keep and Bear Arms Day would be an up front... in your face... no holds barred... declaration that "we the people" do not "allow" anyone to "allow" us to exercise our rights. We will simply do it because we were born with the right to.

Bailenforcer

Sadly they did acquiesce without any resistance. Thats the problem, most men today would rather surrender their rights instead of their cable television. We are not made of the same material our ancestors were.

As far as agreement I have said it before much to the discomfort of the whiners, I will no give any rights away period, I am not going to live on my knees, death is much more Preferable than being some tyrants bitch! Sadly most men today are like women.

Bailenforcer

Thanks Malignity!

I already cast my vote in a previous Post I think it will not only send a message doing it a day or two before July4th, or on the 4th, but also it is in the same spirit as Independence day. Does anyone remember what actually went down with that shot that was heard around the world. Anyone remember.

It was British Soldiers who went to seize firearms and armed farmers resisted by killing the British soldiers. That act was the straw that broke the camels back and finally started the revolution. I know your high school history books may no longer state this, but it did happen that way. So the Independence day holiday is the perfect time to have an open carry day or better yet open carry weekend. Frankly there is no more perfect day or weekend to have this. The potential to educate the masses is best on this weekend as well, most are off work and in that mode or frame of mind to accept a message of freedom.

malignity

To me, it doesn't really matter what day, as long as it happens. I open carry 365, so as long as it HAPPENS, I could care less what day it is. While I do agree that other people may have selfish minds at heart when picking a day, we need to realize too that not everyone is going to be able to agree on a day. There is no day that is going to work 100% for everyone. Some people are just going to miss out, and if they can't reschedule, that's too damn bad. The MAJORITY of us need to agree on a day, and we need to stick to that day. If you can't make it, you can't make it. Try next year.

I still say the weekend of the 4th of July. Any other suggestions would be good.

Edit:

November 1st might be a good idea too as a reminder as to WHY we should vote November 2nd, and what it means for our state and nation.

Last edited: