• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OC Comfort

Chris.R.Anderson

Good afternoon folks, I would like to pose a question to you guys. Is it possible to OC comfortably?

I'll tell you my personal situation. My only carry weapon is a full size Glock 22, .40S&W. When I bought it, I also purchased a Safariland ALS holster setup. It has an IWB, a paddle, and a drop-leg attachment. I used this for many months (usually just the paddle since the drop-leg is rarely practical, and there isn't room for me and the Glock both in my pants, nor is that holster particularly comfy anyway), and the paddle mounting allows the pistol to lean out from my body, and to continuously drag my pants off that hip. It is also just plain bulky.

So after getting very fed up with this holster, I decided to purchase one I have heard talked about favorably many times; the Blackhawk CQC Serpa. I have been much happier with this holster, it is much less bulky, and doesn't have the same tendency to lean out. BUT it still loves to pull of my pants. Suspenders counter this to a point, but they are not always comfortable, practical, or attractive (considering I am only 25. They just look better the older you get, not fair).

I also have never shared a pic of my setup with you guys (unfortunately I suck at forums, and don't know how to make the pics show up in my post rather than me attached at the bottom), and thought that now would be an opportune time, so I will put a couple below. Also, anyone know much about the Remington Golden Sabre's I have? They were the best personal defense ammo I could find locally, just thought I would see if you all had any opinion on them.

So, what do you guys do to ensure comfort while OCing? How do you combat sliding pants, which un-tucks shirts, and all the other little annoying things that crop up with a bunch of iron strapped to your hip?

Oh... and just to head those certain people off, don't bother giving the answer "just deal with it, it's the price you pay to protect yourself", cause I am not a moron, have already thought of that, and continue to OC anyway.

Attachments

• G22 (2).jpg
    G22 (2).jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 128
  • G22 (6).jpg
    G22 (6).jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 105

golddigger14s

Activist Member
OC Rig

I use the same Blackhawk Serpa for my Taurus, and a Fobus for my Kel-Tec. I use a 5.11 1.5 inch belt to keep my pants up. Ammo: Hornady Critical Defense.

.45ACPaddy

You would be surprised at what a good gun belt will do. I used to wear some department store leather belt and it fell apart after several months. I bought a 5.11 leather belt with a plastic internal stiffener and it was like night and day. My first carry piece was a Glock 22 and as long as I tightened my belt everything was fine. Now I'm carrying an XD 45 in a Serpa concealment holster using the paddle attachment, and my pants don't get dragged down. An actual gun belt provides the support needed when wearing a holster.

Here's the belt I use:

http://www.511tactical.com/browse/H...-15/D/30100/P/1:100:50000:50800:50806/I/59502

If that link doesn't work on your computer, try this:

http://tinyurl.com/511belt

Last edited:

amlevin

I've been carrying all day while running errands and around the house. My Sig P-229 is in a Galco C.O.P.-3 Holster on a Galco leather belt. On my weak side I carry two mags to sort of balance the load so my pants don't fall on the Gun side. I switch out this holster with a SERPA pancake from time to time and they both feel like they belong there all day. No sags at all. In fact so comfortable that I sometimes forget that I'm carrying and start into places I shouldn't like the Post Office (the few times I ever go there).

cbpeck

Its all about the belt. If your belt wasn't designed to carry the weight of a handgun it just won't do. Fortunately, most reputable holster makers also produce good quality gun belts.

A good gun belt will be comprised of two layers of full grain leather stitched together with the grain running perpendicularly to each other. This prevents the belt from stretching. Because the belt will NOT stretch, make sure you get the right size from the start.

Ideally, the width of your belt will match the width of the slots in your holster. 1.5" seems to be pretty average, with some being 1/2" larger and some 1/2" smaller.

I really like the Galco Dress Belts because they don't look like gun belts and can be worn with my entire wardrobe, but there are plenty of good options out there.

Lucky_Dog

I've tried a couple of different belts that came free with an order from Cabelas and another outfit. Neither was sturdy enough to hold up my G19 so I tried a Beltman.

I will return to The Beltman when I should need another. It definitely is all about the belt and this one does the job for me.

sudden valley gunner

I found a little wider the better, I have never worn belts always hated them, but have now for the last few years, I go to Ross or TJ Max even good will find double hole and about 2 inches wide that are not fake leather and those work great for me. The most I've paid is 7 bucks.

boosteddreams

I'll join the rest here in suggesting a good, sturdy gun belt. I use a Wilderness Instructor belt (I don't wear leather and this is a great belt) to carry my XD9 in a Blackhawk CQC Serpa holster (w/o paddle attachment) or an IWB holster. I believe my belt is 1 1/2" wide. As long as the belt is adjusted properly, ie not too loose, I have no problems with my pants being pulled down or to the side.

While it's true that sometimes we have to make changes to our wardrobe and/or lifestyle to in order to carry, we don't have to be totally uncomfortable. :)

Metalhead47

Another post for the belt. I have the same 5.11 1.5" belt others have mentioned, made a big difference in comfort and it's become my daily wear belt even when I won't be carrying.

My most comfortable rig is still my HiPoint 9mm in a basic Fobus paddle holster. You may want to check out Fobus yourself, I found that it really tucks the gun in nice & tight.

When I carry my Tanfoglio (which is most of the time), well, I just hike my pants up alot icon_mrgreen.gif

Although today I finally got a BladeTech holster for it that feels promising. Going to experiment with carrying it crossdraw for a bit.

Last edited:

tombrewster421

Another post for the belt. I have the same 5.11 1.5" belt others have mentioned, made a big difference in comfort and it's become my daily wear belt even when I won't be carrying.

My most comfortable rig is still my HiPoint 9mm in a basic Fobus paddle holster. You may want to check out Fobus yourself, I found that it really tucks the gun in nice & tight.

When I carry my Tanfoglio (which is most of the time), well, I just hike my pants up alot View attachment 4506

Although today I finally got a BladeTech holster for it that feels promising. Going to experiment with carrying it crossdraw for a bit.

I also have the 5.11 belt and noticed after just a couple months that the plastic stiffener was broken at the point where the pin goes through the hole due to the bending from putting it on. I changed out the standard buckle for a western style one and that eliminated the bending and breakage issue. Blade-Tec has also teamed up with 5.11 to make their own belt which is supposed to have an even tougher stiffener in it. I can't wait to try it out.

k.rollin

Things that will increase your comfort:
- A good gun belt (I use a 1.5" wide Wilderness Instructor's Belt with the CSM insert)
- Balancing your load on your belt (Pistol on one side, magazines, phone, flashlight, etc on the other)

Bill Starks

State Researcher
Cabelas actually has some heavy leather belts for gun carry I paid about $30 for mine.

There is also a leather guy at the Puyallup WAC show that makes belts that are designed for gun carry (they run 2 for $70 or $40 each). They are double stitched, heavy and double material.

Chris.R.Anderson

I think I payed about 8$ for my current belt at Walmart.... From what you guys have said, I think I know what my Christmas present to me is gonna be! Leaning towards the 5.11, I want one with the plastic stiffener I think. :D

ak56

Campaign Veteran
I think I payed about 8$ for my current belt at Walmart.... From what you guys have said, I think I know what my Christmas present to me is gonna be! Leaning towards the 5.11, I want one with the plastic stiffener I think. :D

I've been using the Cabela's Double-Duty belt for some time - even before I started carrying, and it worked well. However, it got to be too big for me :banana: so I needed something shorter. Picked up the 5.11 with the stiffener at Wade's after shooting there on saturday. Love it! Plus being thinner it will work better with dress pants - the Cabela's belt was quite thick.

SigPacker

I've tried the 5.11

I was at Bull's Eye in tacoma when I was shopping for a gun belt, tried the 5.11 belt since I liked the looks of it... it was relatively stiff, but then I tried a Bladetech Looper... night and day! The bladetech was much stiffer, thicker and held my Sig 229 like I had nothing on + the bladetech was cheaper!

Lammo

I agree with all of the comments about getting a good gun belt and someday I will do just that. In the meantime, FWIW, I notice much less shifting when I wear dress pants that have these sort of rubberized ribs on the inside of the waistband. I think they were designed to help keep shirts tucked in but they also work to stabilize my Glock 36 in my Serpa paddle holster.

tombrewster421

Just picked up my new Blade-Tech Looper belt. Awesome! It's actually softer and easier to put on than the 5.11, and is tougher. Feels great to the touch and around my waist. Well beyond worth $35 after tax.