• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Am I being detained?

Yard Sale

Assert your will to leave, which makes it clear you do not consent to the encounter and you are being detained against your will.

- I don't want to talk to you.
- I don't want to stay here. Can I go?
- I want to leave. Will you let me go?
- Please let me go.

eye95

Well, not exactly. Once they demand info, you are not free to go.

Here, I found a nit. It needs to be picked! ;)

I get your point though. Officers can ask for anything. I should have used the word "demand." So..,

And, when the CHP has been demanded, one has been detained.

That is my point. Once they demand information, you are not free to go.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior

I get your point though. Officers can ask for anything. I should have used the word "demand." So..,

Let the games begin! :lol:

M

McX

they can detain you, at here at least, then release you, but you aren't free to go anywhere, as your ride is now being detained. had that one.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member

This is a valid nit. Tiny details like this are what allow them to get away with crossing the line. Identifying that line as precisely as they do (and crossing it anyway) is not nit picking at all. They know exactly where the line is drawn and willfully defy it. Being able to nail them for it is IMNSHO, Civic Duty.

Perhaps a footnote should be added to my OP of asking "Are you demanding this information in an official capacity under color of law, or just asking because you're a curious fellow?"

No, I take that back.

Again, falling into the trap of asking the rapist if he is raping you. Is there a penis in you? Do you approve of it being there? Ok, no need to ask. Damn, In spite of my rather 'eccentric' position and lifestyle, the brainwashing of asking the gov for permission still permeates me, I feel so dirty.

Perhaps "I surrender that information only because you have forced me to do so against my will." Or something of that sort.

COP: "Oh, I'm not forcing you to give it to me"
COP's Victim: "Then I can go now?"
COP: "No, I want your ID!"
COP's Victim: "Were it up to me, I'd put my ID back in my pocket and walk away. You have made it clear that I am not free to do either of those things."
COP: "OK, I've had enough of your crap, you're under arrest."

Well, that's how it usually goes....

Some people advocate sterile carry. I advocate carrying enough rope to let them hang themselves if they choose to stop being cops and become traitors instead. If they were 'just doing their job' you wouldn't have to assert your rights, they would respect them in the first place.

It blows my mind how a supposed public servant can be taught, trained, and of a mind to disrespect and violate the Constitution in every possible way, much less have their own lawyers paid for with our money who continually think up new and creative ways to perfect the behavior and get away with it.

Last edited:

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
It blows my mind how a supposed public servant can be taught, trained, and of a mind to disrespect and violate the Constitution in every possible way, much less have their own lawyers paid for with our money who continually think up new and creative ways to perfect the behavior and get away with it.

Are they not doing similar to some here? Perfecting standing close to the line but trying to not step [strike]in[/strike] over it?

We all need to wipe our shoes and take another route occasionally. Yes?
See this most often as a training issue; old hobbits can be hard to break.

ixtow

Founder's Club Member
Are they not doing similar to some here? Perfecting standing close to the line but trying to not step [strike]in[/strike] over it?

Obviously, I disagree. But I am inclined to share why.

I am a Citizen. I have Rights (supposedly) Protected by my Constitution. How can it be good for those who are supposed to be enforcing that, to be destroying that?

The difference is that I am the Public, not the Public Servant.

They are charged, by us, with upholding that line, not dedicating mountains of extorted resources to violating it as we live in fear of what might happen if we dare assert our rights in the face of those who do not respect them.

[deep breath]

Is that difference clear? They are to be our subordinates, yet the tables have been turned and we are but slaves to their attacks.

NRAMARINE

Obviously, I disagree. But I am inclined to share why.

I am a Citizen. I have Rights (supposedly) Protected by my Constitution. How can it be good for those who are supposed to be enforcing that, to be destroying that?

The difference is that I am the Public, not the Public Servant.

They are charged, by us, with upholding that line, not dedicating mountains of extorted resources to violating it as we live in fear of what might happen if we dare assert our rights in the face of those who do not respect them.

[deep breath]

Is that difference clear? They are to be our subordinates, yet the tables have been turned and we are but slaves to their attacks.
Well said.