Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: WCI Announcement: Constitutional Carry picks up steam in Wisconsin

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar

WCI Announcement: Constitutional Carry picks up steam in Wisconsin

I'm pleased to announce that Wisconsin Carry Inc. will be partnering with the United States Conceal Carry Association to bring Constitutional Carry to Wisconsin.

I was pleased to be contacted by the president of the USCCA today who inquired as to whether Wisconsin Carry would be willing to work with them to bring constitutional carry to Wisconsin. I politely responded HELL YES.

Here is a link to the USCCA and also a specific link to their Constitution Carry for Wisconsin website:

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com

http://www.wisconsinccw.org/

He believes the time is right. The USCCA is putting their FULL support behind TRUE constitution carry in Wisconsin. The USCCA has a huge in-state and national footprint and their support will have a HUGE impact on this effort.

I believe the odds of non permit right to conceal in Wisconsin this next legislative session just got A LOT better.

This will still not be easy. Sr. Staffers of the "old blood" in the Wisconsin legislature have expressed to me that they DO support non-permit right to carry "in principle" but they are convinced that it is impractical to go from no right to CC to constitution carry in Wisconsin. Until I speak with the legislators officially, I will give them an opportunity to reconsider their position before we initiate pressure on them and name names.

I can also confirm that a segment of the firearm instructor lobby in Wisconsin and MN IS already actively lobbying legislators in Madison for "mandatory training"

I am waiting for an "official" response from a few other notable groups in Wisconsin. Not that their support is essential, but it would be nice to have a unanimous front.

I will say if anyone here is a member of the WCCA, or would just like to help, please contact Bill Schmitz and ask him and WCCA to support constitution carry in Wisconsin. I know Bill and he is a good guy, and he has been very supportive of Wisconsin Carry from the beginning. He is going to confer with the WCCA board over the next few weeks and see what their official position is. Obviously, a year ago, no one had any idea Wisconsin would have a republican governor, senate, and assembly, so they are re-evaluating their game plan.

I do think it would be very helpful to have their support. Bill is a good guy, here is the contact information for the WCCA from their website:

http://www.wisconsinconcealedcarry.com

WCCA
    N3292 County Rd E
    REDGRANITE, WI 54970

BY PHONE: 920.295.9435

BY EMAIL: info @ wisconsinconcealedcarry.com

BOARD MEMBERS:

Bill Schmitz, Chairman
    bill.schmitz @ wisconsinconcealedcarry.com

Drop bill a quick note and thank him for his support of gun rights in Wisconsin in the past and ask that he lobby the WCCA board to support constitution carry in Wisconsin.

Carry On!
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Banned
    Good news Nik.

WCCA has a bunch of top notch shooters and hopefully we can all work well together to make this happen. Its all happened so quickly, as we've said before I wish we could have had more time to expand the membership base and grow a true grass-roots movement.

that's great news.

Are we sure Bill Schmitz is a good person to contact? I had a good conversation with him at the gun show in Onalaska and he made it clear that he fully supports manditory permitting and thinks it's necessary. I don't dissagree that he is a good guy and doing great things for carry in Wisconsin. I took his ccw class a few years ago and find him and Deb to be top notch. His desire for manditory training almost seems like a conflict of interest.
    "To sin by silence, when we should protest makes cowards out of men."
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny amish View Post
    Are we sure Bill Schmitz is a good person to contact? I had a good conversation with him at the gun show in Onalaska and he made it clear that he fully supports manditory permitting and thinks it's necessary. I don't dissagree that he is a good guy and doing great things for carry in Wisconsin. I took his ccw class a few years ago and find him and Deb to be top notch. His desire for manditory training almost seems like a conflict of interest.
    gee I wonder why he thinks manditory permitting is necessary.

It's the time for all to write their representitives NOW I don't know how many members WCI has but when I see 800+ views on a post I know it's a lot if every member wrote we would be a voice that they can't ignore

carry on

Don

http://www.usconcealedcarry.com

you can't even read a full article without giving them $100.00 ?
    not everyone can afford that much in this economy. Am I missing something or am I correct you have to be a member to use thier site ?
    ok found you can join for 37.00, still need to give them 40 bucks just to use thier forum, yes i understand you get more then that but im just sayin cant take any part of that site without paying something.
    Last edited by Beretta-m9; 11-12-2010 at 08:16 PM. Reason: more to say

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta-m9 View Post
    gee I wonder why he thinks manditory permitting is necessary.
    I can only guess it's because he teaches the classes, well, no, hmmm, yeh it's because he teaches the classes.
    Last edited by johnny amish; 11-12-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

We must contact our lawmakers today, tomorrow and the next day to remind them of Constitutional Carry.
    Laws are not written because of the actions of many, they are wrtiten because of the inactions of many.

Banned
    Careful posting the contact info in the forum. I was just called every dirty name is the book by the NRA liaison and he gave me permission. Although I guess he has changed his mind and does not want anyone contacting him. Just sayin.

Banned
    Do you guys even really read these posts? lol

He is going to confer with the WCCA board over the next few weeks and see what their official position is. Obviously, a year ago, no one had any idea Wisconsin would have a republican governor, senate, and assembly, so they are re-evaluating their game plan.

I do think it would be very helpful to have their support. Bill is a good guy, here is the contact information for the WCCA from their website:

this is from the same guy who uses the old WCCA mailing lists to pimp his training classes. Somehow the ole old saying about be wary of those bearing gifts comes to mind.
    I had to change my signature because you know who got upset about it.

Wisconsin Carry, Inc. Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman's Avatar
    Work with me fella's.

Bill is a great guy. WCCA does not have an official position on constitutional carry. We don't NEED their support to make this happen, but it would sure help.

I don't pee in the wind, if I suggest something, its not because I had a random brain fart, and I don't ask for things I don't think are worth our time and that would benefit the cause.

CONTACT BILL. Have a genuine POLITE conversation/email/letter about your principled belief that constitution carry is what is right for Wisconsin...

If it wasn't worth our time I wouldn't ask.
    www.wisconsincarry.org Wisconsin Carry, Inc. is not affiliated with opencarry.org or these web forums. Questions about discussion forum policy or forum moderation should be directed to the owners of opencarry.org not Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    You asked him this...when?

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt this the group that Dick Baker (at least I think that was his name) was with?

IIRC, Baker started a group then a few years later it shifted/reformed into this group.

I used to see a coffee can or a collection can from them on the counter of some of the gunshops years ago from time to time,if I had a couple extra bucks on me I would drop it in when I could afford it but I hadnt seen any and hadnt gotten any e mail updates from them in quite awhile figured they just kinda dried up.

I understand the tactic and logic of the unified front concept and think its great as long as the endgame is and remains Constitutional Carry.

LR Yote 312
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
    You asked him this...when?
    At the gun show this fall in Onalaska.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

Quote Originally Posted by Wisconsin Carry, Inc. - Chairman View Post
    Work with me fella's.

Bill is a great guy. WCCA does not have an official position on constitutional carry.
    CONTACT BILL. Have a genuine POLITE conversation/email/letter about your principled belief that constitution carry is what is right for Wisconsin...

If it wasn't worth our time I wouldn't ask.
    Bill and Deb are both great people and I will not hessitate to contact them, I was surprized to hear Bill was the man to contact given his desire to have manditory training. There is no denying that gun right are better off because of their efforts.
    Ella Wheeler Cox

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post

Correct me if I am wrong but isnt this the group that Dick Baker (at least I think that was his name) was with?

IIRC, Baker started a group then a few years later it shifted/reformed into this group.

[ ... ]
    I believe that two different gun control organizations are being conflated/confused. The original press release was from USA Concealed Carry, while Monkeyleg's place, largely defunct (webpage last maintained in 2008) is Wisconsin Concealed Carry Association that was folded into some long name involving personal protection and safety - as the 'thing' is thought to be related to the epithet.

It is interesting to note the two old failed names reappearing coincidentally, Baker and Fendry, here within the week. When Corey Graf gets mentioned then, Hail, the gangs all here.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 11-13-2010 at 06:45 AM.

:-)
    Last edited by skorittnig; 11-14-2010 at 01:10 PM.
    skorittnig

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skorittnig View Post
    Or better yet, why they would partner with us, if we are clear about our agenda?[DH emphasis]
    Who's "we", that are clear about an agenda?

Remember OCDO Rule (12), saying in relevant part, "... this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization."
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 11-13-2010 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    Who's "we", that are clear about an agenda?

Remember OCDO Rule (12), saying in relevant part, "... this is not the place to air those concerns unless they are specifically related to an anti-open carry position taken by that organization."
    You are correct Doug- I have deleted my post, as I (personally) had no information to base it upon, other than speculation.
    skorittnig

"If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared."
    Niccolo Machiavelli

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by skorittnig View Post
    You are correct Doug- I have deleted my post, as I (personally) had no information to base it upon, other than speculation.
    That certainly was not my intention.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    That certainly was not my intention.
    I know this was not your intention- but I should have consulted with the person(s) for which I was speculating. We should all avoid this, as it serves only to "dumb" our discussions down.
    skorittnig

Niccolo Machiavelli

Banned
    While I believe we should have a united front here in Wisconsin, we all need to remember that those groups are primarily supporting concealed carry. While I am sure they like the thought of no permit as much as we do, I am also sure they support mandated training. Now with that said there is already a fall back in position by WCI for free training for those who will need it, so that should, in theory remove that obstacle.

In order to make an alliance (Hmm, Wisconsin Carry Alliance, a new group name maybe) we need to remember to show support for the other groups concerns as well.

Not only should we continue to work toward the repeal, but also move to the ear of Gunderson, push the likes of Gene German out of our way and sit down at the legislative table as just that, the Alliance. With free training there is no need for German to even be involved in the bill in any way. He is from Minnesota, let him worry about his own state.

I have had some very good conversations with my legislators in the past two weeks. Senator Frank Lasee stated to me that he is very interested in the repeal as it meets his agenda for VT style carry. I have also heard back from my state assemblyman a copy of which I have attached here. The tide is right, the house and senate are right, the Gov's office is on board. The issue we are falling up against is convincing these people that moving from a complete ban on CCW to VT style or Constitutional Carry is not such a ridiculous move. As proven in Arizona for example there is no blood in the streets, no wild west shoot outs and still the crime rate continues to drop. Taking all of those baby steps did nothing more than cost the tax payers more money in legislation, fees and taxes. It increased government and more than likely all of those government jobs are probably still sucking up tax dollars when the positions are no longer needed. They were not, after all, needed in the first place.

It is a tough argument ahead but if we unite we will have a better chance of overcoming the obstacle.

AS far as Corey Graf, well OK invite WGO too, we can always use 1 more person.

Al Ott
    State Representative • 3rd Assembly District
    November 9, 2010
    Mr. James Gleason
    15 Lehner Street
    Chilton,WI 53014
    Dear Mr. Gleason,
    Thank you for taking the time to contact me the morning following the election to express your
    support for the repeal of s. 941.23 of the Wisconsin State Statutes, relating to the possession of a
    concealed weapon. I also appreciate your subsequent follow-up calls and email messages.
    As you know, Governor-elect Walker ran on a strong platform of balancing the state budget,
    improving our economic climate, and bringing jobs back to Wisconsin. These are the issues the
    Governor-elect and the new Republican majorities in the Assembly and Senate will be tackling
    immediately at the start of the new legislative session. Governor-elect Walker met with the
    Assembly Republican caucus yesterday to reiterate his desire to work with the Legislature to
    make certain, "Wisconsin is Open for Business."
    While the issue of concealed carry is an important one - and Wisconsin is long over due in
    addressing this issue -1 do not believe concealed carry will be a primary focus in the opening
    days or months of the new legislative session. First and foremost, we must get our fiscal house
    in order with a no-gimmicks balanced budget and focus on reforms to drive our economy
    forward. The people of Wisconsin have clearly stated this is their number one priority.
    I am confident, however, that during this legislative session Wisconsin will - at long last -join
    nearly every other state in allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed weapon.
    Following our conversation last week, I discussed this matter with Representative Scott
    Gunderson, who has led the fight to bring Wisconsin in line with the rest of the country on the
    issue of concealed carry rights.
    As you have indicated, Representative Gunderson does intend to once again author legislation
    that would make Wisconsin a "shall-issue" state. This would put Wisconsin among the ranks of
    the 37 other "shall-issue" states, including our neighboring states of Minnesota, Iowa, and
    Michigan.

I do not oppose this approach and look forward to reviewing the bill once it is made available.
    While I understand and support your desire for limited government bureaucracy, I do not find it
    to be unreasonable that we would take an incremental approach to instituting concealed carry in
    Wisconsin by going from one of two states with a prohibition on this practice to one of 37 with a
    "shall-issue" law. I am not certain there would be adequate public or legislative support for
    going from one extreme (absolute prohibition) to the other (being one of two states with no
    permitting requirements). At this time, I do not intend to author a bill to repeal s. 941.23, but
    would give such a bill consideration if it were to come before the Assembly.
    I look forward to working with my legislative colleagues and Goveror-elect Walker on this and
    many other important issues facing the State of Wisconsin.
    Again, thank you for taking the time to let me know of your position on concealed carry
    legislation. It is clear that you are well versed on and passionate about this topic, and I do
    appreciate hearing from you.
    Sincerely,
    AlOtt
    State Representative
    3rd Assembly District

Office: P.O. Box 8953 • Madison, WI 53708 • (608) 266-5831 • Toll-Free: (888) 534-OO03 • Rep.Ort<S>legis.wi.gov
    Home: P.O. Box 112 • Forest Junction, WI 54123-0112 • (920) 989-124O
    Last edited by J.Gleason; 11-13-2010 at 11:13 AM. Reason: Sorry for got to add on Al Ott's Response

+1

Quote Originally Posted by J.Gleason View Post
    While I believe we should have a united front here in Wisconsin, we all need to remember that those groups are primarily supporting concealed carry. While I am sure they like the thought of no permit as much as we do, I am also sure they support mandated training. Now with that said there is already a fall back in position by WCI for free training for those who will need it, so that should, in theory remove that obstacle.

In order to make an alliance (Hmm, Wisconsin Carry Alliance, a new group name maybe) we need to remember to show support for the other groups concerns as well.

Not only should we continue to work toward the repeal, but also move to the ear of Gunderson, push the likes of Gene German out of our way and sit down at the legislative table as just that, the Alliance. With free training there is no need for German to even be involved in the bill in any way. He is from Minnesota, let him worry about his own state.

I have had some very good conversations with my legislators in the past two weeks. Senator Frank Lasee stated to me that he is very interested in the repeal as it meets his agenda for VT style carry. I have also heard back from my state assemblyman a copy of which I have attached here. The tide is right, the house and senate are right, the Gov's office is on board. The issue we are falling up against is convincing these people that moving from a complete ban on CCW to VT style or Constitutional Carry is not such a ridiculous move. As proven in Arizona for example there is no blood in the streets, no wild west shoot outs and still the crime rate continues to drop. Taking all of those baby steps did nothing more than cost the tax payers more money in legislation, fees and taxes. It increased government and more than likely all of those government jobs are probably still sucking up tax dollars when the positions are no longer needed. They were not, after all, needed in the first place.

It is a tough argument ahead but if we unite we will have a better chance of overcoming the obstacle.

AS far as Corey Graf, well OK invite WGO too, we can always use 1 more person.
    skorittnig

Niccolo Machiavelli

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    At the gun show this fall in Onalaska.
    Pre-election day. Things have completely changed. Besides, WCI will be getting instructors who will train people, both members and non-members, as a public service, for gratis.

Once the instructors who are demanding training to purely pad their income see this, they will drop their demand and will have to compete with the free service that WCI's instructors will offer.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast