• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

WCI Announcement: Constitutional Carry picks up steam in Wisconsin

J.Gleason

Banned
Nik is the carrier of good news. Finally there is a hint of a coalition. Possibly of WCI, Ohio Buckeye, Icarry, WGO and Sisters of the second amendment, hopefully others. Unfortunately, true to it's nature, instead of seeing an opportunity the members and interlopers of this forum have to try their best to diminish it's importance. The very fact that other organizations are seeking WCI out is significant. It means that it is gaining a high level of respect and awareness by other groups as a big player in the game. Pogo was right. We have met the enemy and he is us. I reported many timess in the past that if we are to win this game all gun rights groups must come together as a unified force. In the past it was futile to even talk about an alliance because every group wanted to be tall hog at the trough. It looks like there may now be a possibility of an alliance being organized. Mark my words. One group alone is not going to win over the gang of Gunderson, Fendry, German and the NRA. It ain't going to happen for these reasons: Personal carry of firearms is not going to be a priority item with the 2011 legislature. Things like, jobs, state economy, health care are going to dominate the session. If issues of firearm carry come up it will be later in the session rather than sooner. By then the legislature will be tired and ornery from party wrangling. When the issue of firearm carry comes up the Republican legislature will want a quick solution to get it off the table fast and to satisfy it's campaign promise. For those very reasons Gunderson's resurrection of the Personal Protection Act (I'm speculating a bit here) will be very appealing to the legislature. Gunderson has the reputation of being there and done that and of being successful of getting the PPA passed through both the Assembly and with Dave Zien, the Senate twice before. His recommendations will be given a great deal of credence. If the battle comes down to the wire as a contest between WCI and it's proposition for constitutional choice of carry and Gunderson's proposal for permits and mandatory training rest assured we are at a distinct disadvantage. All he need do is show to the legislative committees copies of interchanges on this forum, including the WCI chairman, to demonstrate that people of that irresponsible nature should not be given serious thought. Those of you that are familiar with the legislative process know he wouldn't need to convince the whole legislature that we are irresonsible. He would only need to convince 6 members of the 11 member Assembly Committee on Criminal Justice and 3 members of the Senate Committee on Judiciary, Corrections, Insurance, Campaign Finance Reform and Housing. A bill doesn't even get to the legislature houses until it passes committee and is then presented for a floor vote. Yes, politics is that dirty. This is our chance. We may not get everything we wish but if we don't clean up our act we will get little at all. We either need to act like the intelligent and mature people we think we are or build a shrine to Pogo.

+1000
And certain people belittling every post on here by others is getting old real fast. At least try to show some encouragement or don't post anything at all.(Not directed at you Nemo)

J.Gleason

Banned
While I believe we should have a united front here in Wisconsin, we all need to remember that those groups are primarily supporting concealed carry. While I am sure they like the thought of no permit as much as we do, I am also sure they support mandated training. Now with that said there is already a fall back in position by WCI for free training for those who will need it, so that should, in theory remove that obstacle.

In order to make an alliance (Hmm, Wisconsin Carry Alliance, a new group name maybe) we need to remember to show support for the other groups concerns as well.

Not only should we continue to work toward the repeal, but also move to the ear of Gunderson, push the likes of Gene German out of our way and sit down at the legislative table as just that, the Alliance. With free training there is no need for German to even be involved in the bill in any way. He is from Minnesota, let him worry about his own state.

I have had some very good conversations with my legislators in the past two weeks. Senator Frank Lasee stated to me that he is very interested in the repeal as it meets his agenda for VT style carry. I have also heard back from my state assemblyman a copy of which I have attached here. The tide is right, the house and senate are right, the Gov's office is on board. The issue we are falling up against is convincing these people that moving from a complete ban on CCW to VT style or Constitutional Carry is not such a ridiculous move. As proven in Arizona for example there is no blood in the streets, no wild west shoot outs and still the crime rate continues to drop. Taking all of those baby steps did nothing more than cost the tax payers more money in legislation, fees and taxes. It increased government and more than likely all of those government jobs are probably still sucking up tax dollars when the positions are no longer needed. They were not, after all, needed in the first place.

It is a tough argument ahead but if we unite we will have a better chance of overcoming the obstacle.

AS far as Corey Graf, well OK invite WGO too, we can always use 1 more person.

Al Ott
State Representative • 3rd Assembly District
November 9, 2010
Mr. James Gleason
15 Lehner Street
Chilton,WI 53014
Dear Mr. Gleason,
Thank you for taking the time to contact me the morning following the election to express your
support for the repeal of s. 941.23 of the Wisconsin State Statutes, relating to the possession of a
concealed weapon. I also appreciate your subsequent follow-up calls and email messages.
As you know, Governor-elect Walker ran on a strong platform of balancing the state budget,
improving our economic climate, and bringing jobs back to Wisconsin. These are the issues the
Governor-elect and the new Republican majorities in the Assembly and Senate will be tackling
immediately at the start of the new legislative session. Governor-elect Walker met with the
Assembly Republican caucus yesterday to reiterate his desire to work with the Legislature to
make certain, "Wisconsin is Open for Business."
While the issue of concealed carry is an important one - and Wisconsin is long over due in
addressing this issue -1 do not believe concealed carry will be a primary focus in the opening
days or months of the new legislative session. First and foremost, we must get our fiscal house
in order with a no-gimmicks balanced budget and focus on reforms to drive our economy
forward. The people of Wisconsin have clearly stated this is their number one priority.
I am confident, however, that during this legislative session Wisconsin will - at long last -join
nearly every other state in allowing law-abiding citizens to carry a concealed weapon.
Following our conversation last week, I discussed this matter with Representative Scott
Gunderson, who has led the fight to bring Wisconsin in line with the rest of the country on the
issue of concealed carry rights.
As you have indicated, Representative Gunderson does intend to once again author legislation
that would make Wisconsin a "shall-issue" state. This would put Wisconsin among the ranks of
the 37 other "shall-issue" states, including our neighboring states of Minnesota, Iowa, and
Michigan.

I do not oppose this approach and look forward to reviewing the bill once it is made available.
While I understand and support your desire for limited government bureaucracy, I do not find it
to be unreasonable that we would take an incremental approach to instituting concealed carry in
Wisconsin by going from one of two states with a prohibition on this practice to one of 37 with a
"shall-issue" law. I am not certain there would be adequate public or legislative support for
going from one extreme (absolute prohibition) to the other (being one of two states with no
permitting requirements). At this time, I do not intend to author a bill to repeal s. 941.23, but
would give such a bill consideration if it were to come before the Assembly.
I look forward to working with my legislative colleagues and Goveror-elect Walker on this and
many other important issues facing the State of Wisconsin.
Again, thank you for taking the time to let me know of your position on concealed carry
legislation. It is clear that you are well versed on and passionate about this topic, and I do
appreciate hearing from you.
Sincerely,
AlOtt
State Representative
3rd Assembly District

Office: P.O. Box 8953 • Madison, WI 53708 • (608) 266-5831 • Toll-Free: (888) 534-OO03 • Rep.Ort<S>legis.wi.gov
Home: P.O. Box 112 • Forest Junction, WI 54123-0112 • (920) 989-124O

As I said earlier, I am fully in support of any alliance. Strength in numbers.

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
As I posted earlier in the thread,

While I believe we should have a united front here in Wisconsin, we all need to remember that those groups are primarily supporting concealed carry. While I am sure they like the thought of no permit as much as we do, I am also sure they support mandated training. Now with that said there is already a fall back in position by WCI for free training for those who will need it, so that should, in theory remove that obstacle.

Assumption. Mandatory training was a trade off for getting votes in many of the states which passed it in the 1990's.

There's a few states which requires no training at all before carrying concealed. Arizona, Alaska, Vermont, Idaho, New Hampshire, Washington State, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Georgia. Pennsylvania managed to pass a shall-issue law in 1989 without training, and the same with Georgia, so it is not without precedent.

J.Gleason

Banned
Assumption. Mandatory training was a trade off for getting votes in many of the states which passed it in the 1990's.

There's a few states which requires no training at all before carrying concealed. Arizona, Alaska, Vermont, Idaho, New Hampshire, Washington State, Pennsylvania, Indiana and Georgia. Pennsylvania managed to pass a shall-issue law in 1989 without training, and the same with Georgia, so it is not without precedent.

And this is supposed to mean what?
Maybe if you actually took the time to read the statement you would see that you have basically said the same thing I did. Talk about useless posts.
Your little underlined tool above does nothing but point out that I am merely agreeing with what Nik had said concerning some of the other people in other groups being in favor of training. Maybe you should really stop trying so hard. Isn't there someone you can stalk in the Washington forum?

J.Gleason

Banned
Nik, wasn't there also some pro gun candidates that you spoke with before the election that stated they were very much in support. Did they win?
If so, they may be of some help as well.

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Nik, wasn't there also some pro gun candidates that you spoke with before the election that stated they were very much in support. Did they win?
If so, they may be of some help as well.

In the republican primary in my district there were 3 candidates. 2 of the 3 contacted me and vowed their support for constitution carry.

The 3rd candidate who was later to get in the race than the first 2, I didn't have a chance to make contact with.

The 2 candidates I did talk to split the vote and the 3rd candidate won by a couple hundred votes.

I'll still make contact with him, hopefully even though he's already elected he'll still listen to his constituents.

FMJ45

we are all holding our breaths, with the new alliances being formed with other gun organizations, the tireless efforts of WisconsinCarry, and members here, there is a possibility we may get something other than a permit system. But the elected leaders rank and file seemed to have forgotten their party stance, and recently modified it to be a permit idea. many see this as blantant revenuing, and a means to moderate and control. to many this is an offensive idea. we are hoping the public will see our point of view, and exert pressure on the elected officials as well. but consider the results of the past this is indeed a golden moment for us, with much more hope than we have seen in many years. time will tell for all of us. at least our organization WisconsinCarry has already illustrated to us the plan B option of them fast tracking training requirement classes for us, and then being there for us on the other side, for and if the issues emerge of patterning, or accidental exposure of a concealed firearm. Historic times to be sure.

Please state your sources on the revamping of position.

Thanks.

M

McX

FMJ as far as sources all i got is what i saw in our local paper; all of 'em just love the permit system, and every time they were asked about CC told the same tale= at least in print. Other sources i cant produce, but the Dougster is probably lurking about, and may jump in with other quotable sources.

FMJ45

FMJ as far as sources all i got is what i saw in our local paper; all of 'em just love the permit system, and every time they were asked about CC told the same tale= at least in print. Other sources i cant produce, but the Dougster is probably lurking about, and may jump in with other quotable sources.

Thanks for your reply.

If there is a question of publicly stating a who/what/where, please reply to me in private and I will respect your sources privacy, But your statement does cry out for a glimpse of a rather quick turn around in position by the party, if true.

I fully understand that politicians are pretty much politicians 'especially' right after getting elected! They regress and take second looks at their campaign trail almost immediately after the votes are tallied.

Also, I'd question openly the validity of +any+ press release as we all know the stance of the regular press on guns n the issues that surround headline news. (5 grains of salt please)

Again, if you can privately forward your party retraction source, I'd appreciate it.

Regards,

me :shocker:

Last edited:

J.Gleason

Banned
As I stated in another thread, I am wondering if WCI is also going to join forces with WI-Force in this battle for the legislative table.

That will bring, WCI,WCCA, USCCA, WGO?,WI-FORCE and the NRA together so far. Any others?

Wisconsin Carry Inc. - Chairman

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
If WCI has any more announcements to make, we will make them if and when they become available.

We have no control to prevent people from speculating about what we may or may not do but we once again remind the readers of this forum that no one speaks on behalf of WCI other than our board.

Lastly, WCI has learned our lesson that "as an organization" engaging in "debate" on this forum is not a wise choice for our organization and it allows our message to get distorted and hijacked. Our new website will hopefully be finished in the next month which will afford us a great deal more flexibility in disseminating information and allowing people to comment, however we will heavily moderate the comments.

We will continue to post announcements on this forum as they become available as we have already began to post the same announcements on other forums as well.

SAK

I really love this idea of a unified front. I don't know what else Wisconsin Carry, Inc has planned, but I like the leadership provided so far. This is definitely the right direction to move - getting as many people on board with a unified message - Wisconsin wants REAL right to carry like Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona, (and most of Montana).

Some things constitution carry would mean:
1. No new persons would be allowed to carry. The people who can already carry loaded pistols would simply be able to put their clothes over it.
2. Registering your name and other personal information with the government, paying a fee (tax), paying for mandatory training fees that can be very expensive, waiting, and possibly more restrictions would not exist!
3. You could carry concealed TOMORROW if the legislature simply repeals 941.23.
4. Wisconsin does not need bigger government, more spending, more bureaucrats and administrators, and more room for error when the state can simply allow people to exercise the rights guaranteed by the Constitutions of the state and the union of the states.
5. Thousands of people in Wisconsin already open carry - why in the world would the state keep criminalizing these responsible law-abiding citizens simply if their clothes accidentally cover up their pistol? Why force them to wear it openly when it may be safer in many situations to conceal it?

I emailed the Executive Director of Wisconsin Gun Owners and he reports that they have been pushing this issue for a long time, and they will continue supporting constitution carry as part of their "no compromise" stance.

I will also contact the other groups and see if they will come on board as well. I don't see why anyone would not. Of course we not only want them to support it in words, but also back that up by communicating this to their members and mobilizing everyone to be politically active to get this to pass.

I think if we approach this with all of our fervor, we will succeed. Anytime ICarry.org talks about concealed carry in Wisconsin we will be specifically talking about a no-permit system. We will be talking about repealing 941.23. I don't see any need to discuss compromising and accepting a permit system right now. We're going to stay focused on this and encourage everyone to do the same.

This may be a real shock to a lot of gun owners. They may have a very hard time believing this is possible. But I assure you it is. I think everybody here is a leader in the movement, so it will be OUR job to explain to everyone that a no-permit system is what we ALL are supporting and we WILL do it together. It's time for everyone to get on board. If someone doesn't want to fight for the RIGHT to carry with us, I would rather have them sit in the corner and stay out of our way.

If we discover any conflicts of interests such as firearms instructors lobbying for a permit system, we WILL expose it. Anyone who purports to advocate the right to keep and bear arms should no better than to work against our efforts to avoid a "may I please, sir?" permit system.

I'm really impressed by the USCCA of which I too am a member. They do a fine job marketing and communicating. We're very fortunate to have them in our corner. The best thing all of us can do is repeat repeat repeat repeat repeat the messages about constitution carry.

1) People already carry in Wisconsin without permits or any hassle - and it causes no problems.
2) No new people will be allowed to carry when 941.23 (and others) are repealed. It will simply allow responsible people who already can carry to carry how they choose.
3) Most states are headed in this direction - Wisconsin should redeem itself and be a leader of the pack instead of at the back.
4) Gun owners will always keep working for this and more and more and more people will open carry because they can do so and exercise a right. We might as well do it right the first time and respect the RIGHT to carry.

The more we say this anywhere and everywhere, over and over and over again, the more it sticks. This concept is used successfully every day to diminish rights - let's use it to restore respect of rights. Nay-sayers - please go sit in the corner while we get constitution carry for Wisconsin, thank you. When it's done you can find something else to nay-say.

Last edited: