• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Need some ideas to deal with wacky neighbor

amlevin

Way off topic but I know that there are some devious minds here and I need to mine them for some ideas.

I have this neighbor who's wife or girlfriend (he's a bit of a recluse so we never talk) spends all day in their bedroom. When my dog ( a very small Shih Tsu) goes out in the yard to answer nature's call, he barks about 5 times and then goes and sniffs everything. This neighbor leaves the bedroom window open a little for ventilation most times but as soon as she hears the dog she runs and opens it wide. Then puts one of those birdhouse devices that are supposed to keep dogs from barking in the window. The dog doesn't even care when she does this, he'll bark or not as he feels like. So much for effectiveness of this $50 item. At times she has even gone to the window and screamed at dogs over a block away to shut up.

Before anyone gets the idea that this neighborhood is full of barking dogs, the total time in a day that ANY dog, including my own, barks is about 2 minutes. They bark once or twice and then are quiet.

Anyone know of any "device" that would emit some irritating noises at random intervals? Something that makes noises like a cricket, bullfrog, duck quacking, etc? that I could put under the eve of my backyard shed? Something that would just cause her to close the window if she doesn't like neighborhood noises. I wouldn't even consider this if she wouldn't open the window wide upon hearing any barking dog. Strange person.

sudden valley gunner

Walk out with a video camera and tape it and put it on You tube every time. When she tells you to stop you can even explain what you are doing. And that you are just doing to protect you and all neighbor hood dogs from unwarranted harassment.

You could also put a sign on your vehicle with the address or post in your local craigslist etc.

Some people go way over board on barking dogs I ran into this same problem and had problems with my association over it. Security would come and park in front of my driveway so then my dog would bark at him and then give me a ticket for barking dog. :banghead: All the dog was doing was letting me know hey someone's here.

I am a big fan of dogs and intuitive people can discern differences between their dog's vocalizations.

amlevin

I am a big fan of dogs

Me too. The more I get to know about some people, the more I love my dog.

3.gif

amlevin

Appreciate the contribution but THIS is definitely illegal as it exceeds the sound levels allowed for a residential neighborhood any time of day. Appreciate the thought though.

These are exactly what I had in mind. Now if I could only find a way to attach the small magnetic one to the gutter right outside her window. I'll be ordering one of each Monday. I can't wait to see what happens.

Last edited:

xxx.jakk.xxx

These are exactly what I had in mind. Now if I could only find a way to attach the small magnetic one to the gutter right outside her window. I'll be ordering one of each Monday. I can't wait to see what happens.

I'm wanting one to stick in my boss' office. I think I'd get written up if caught, though. Lol

ghosthunter

Go to your local Wholesale Sports or Cabelas and get a Predator Call with remote control. Under 30.00. Several different animal sounds. I drove a tent mate nuts for two weeks while deer and elk hunting.

"Did you hear that?" "Whats that sound"

Great fun

And the dog will love it.

Last edited:

Trigger Dr

Appreciate the contribution but THIS is definitely illegal as it exceeds the sound levels allowed for a residential neighborhood any time of day. Appreciate the thought though.

Double back tape works wonders

Beretta92FSLady

If opening a shotgun range in your back yard is not an option, I would say develop the technology that emits in any direction you choose a sound that is nerve-racking to humans. My daughter was making this screeching dolphin type of noise earlier today that would be perfect!

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I have seen those toys before that are voice activated and repeats what ever you say, so when they yell shut up it returns the favor in kind. :monkey

I have not been able to find it yet but still looking.

BobR

I guess I am the wacky neighbor.

I have a neighbor with 2 worthless rat dogs (Jack Russels) who will bark at anything that moves within their visual range. That usually means me or my wife. They will be let out and they will rush the fence and bark, especially at my wife. They don't bark much at me anymore (the miracle of pepper spray!). They also bark at noises. If they are in the backyard not making any noise and we open a sliding door or window they start barking and then suddenly shut up, like "what am I barking at".

I don't care if they do only bark for a couple of minutes, those couple of minutes everytime I am in the back yard, or on my deck, or even in the front and they see me is more than enough to get on my nerves because it happens EVERY TIME they are let out.

She has trained them that if they bark at the neighbors (me, behind us, where ever) they get to go inside as a reward.

IMO, what you need to do is teach your dog not to bark, unless it is at a threat..is it really that hard?

My neighbor has had the pleasure of talking to the local code enforcement once and the sheriff twice, one more time and the tickets start flying at 84 dollars a pop. I don't really care, I want to enjoy my backyard without those worthless dogs rushing the fence and barking. Granted they only bark a total of 2 minutes a day, because as soon as they bark they are brought inside, but I don't care. They are still barking and disturbing me.

IMO, childish retaliation against your neighbor for being disturbed by your dog barking will only lead to an escalation of bad feelings in the neighborhood, which seldom works out well.

bob

amlevin

If opening a shotgun range in your back yard is not an option, I would say develop the technology that emits in any direction you choose a sound that is nerve-racking to humans. My daughter was making this screeching dolphin type of noise earlier today that would be perfect!

Could I rent her to play in my back yard? Hourly rate? Weekly?

That's funny because I had just told my wife I was going to invite all 5 of our grandkids to some and raise some ruckus in the backyard. They range from 19 down to 11 and when they get "cranked" all the adults come inside and close the door.

BobR-

I would agree with you and wouldn't have even raised the issue if my dog was a "barker". He barks when he wants to come back in, ONE BARK. He Barks when he goes out, two or three barks and then goes about his business of "sniffing and p***ing". He has a low pitched bark and if I was to use a stopwatch to time the total time of his daily barking it would be less than two minutes out twelve hours. Slamming car doors make more noise than my dog. Like I said, this gal get's wigged out if a dog barks blocks away. As for escalation, nobody, repeat nobody, in the neighborhood had any complaint until this person moved in to live with my neighbor.

M1Gunr--

The animal scent/urine is a great idea. Know of anyone that packages it in "paintballs"? I could lob a couple next to the window and I'm sure that she'd keep it closed.

Last edited:

amlevin

I have seen those toys before that are voice activated and repeats what ever you say, so when they yell shut up it returns the favor in kind. :monkey

I've got one in the form of a bird on a perch. It's a mechanical "Toucan" and when you speak, it's bill moves and it repeats everything you said.

Found it at the truck stop in Umatilla, OR.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members

I've got one in the form of a bird on a perch. It's a mechanical "Toucan" and when you speak, it's bill moves and it repeats everything you said.

Found it at the truck stop in Umatilla, OR.

Well it may well provide your neighbor company :lol:

Neighbor; Shut Up!
Parrot; Shut Up!
Neighbor; No You Shut Up!
Parrot; No You Shut Up!

:lol::lol: