• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

OT: Need some ideas to deal with wacky neighbor

kwiebe

I guess I am the wacky neighbor.

I have a neighbor with 2 worthless rat dogs (Jack Russels) who will bark at anything that moves within their visual range. That usually means me or my wife. They will be let out and they will rush the fence and bark, especially at my wife. They don't bark much at me anymore (the miracle of pepper spray!). They also bark at noises. If they are in the backyard not making any noise and we open a sliding door or window they start barking and then suddenly shut up, like "what am I barking at".

I don't care if they do only bark for a couple of minutes, those couple of minutes everytime I am in the back yard, or on my deck, or even in the front and they see me is more than enough to get on my nerves because it happens EVERY TIME they are let out.

She has trained them that if they bark at the neighbors (me, behind us, where ever) they get to go inside as a reward.

IMO, what you need to do is teach your dog not to bark, unless it is at a threat..is it really that hard?

My neighbor has had the pleasure of talking to the local code enforcement once and the sheriff twice, one more time and the tickets start flying at 84 dollars a pop. I don't really care, I want to enjoy my backyard without those worthless dogs rushing the fence and barking. Granted they only bark a total of 2 minutes a day, because as soon as they bark they are brought inside, but I don't care. They are still barking and disturbing me.

IMO, childish retaliation against your neighbor for being disturbed by your dog barking will only lead to an escalation of bad feelings in the neighborhood, which seldom works out well.

bob

+1

Maybe in this case the OP's situation is pretty minor. But in general I've found that most dog owners have a real blindness about the impact their animal has on others. I live across the street from a city park so I have a pretty good statistical sampling to go by. You wouldn't believe what I've witnessed and had to endure at times.

Dog ownership carries with it a responsibility. In general, responsible people get harder to find every day, in my opinion, so problems of this type just become more and more commonplace. I'm not a dog-hater, either. I just think a lot of people shouldn't own dogs. I also think there's a proper place for dogs. Especially because of irresponsible owners, I sometimes wonder about the wisdom of allowing dogs in non-rural environments. Maybe it's "extreme," but as my Dad used to say, "Dogs don't belong in the city."

Bill Starks

State Researcher
M1Gunr--

The animal scent/urine is a great idea. Know of anyone that packages it in "paintballs"? I could lob a couple next to the window and I'm sure that she'd keep it closed.
Take a syringe and draw out the paint, then refill with the good stuff or make paintballs out of modeling clay (because it is durable). You can also reuse the modeling clay over and over again (for a while at least) at targets.

Last edited:

amlevin

Get a dog whistle and get all the dogs in the nieghborhood going and watch her go nuts, or maybe stand out in your back yard and bark at her yourself.

If I were to bark at her myself I'd have a heck of a time explaining that to my wife.

There's actually a second chapter to this saga. It seems like these two people don't always get along. They've had some real vocal arguments and when their patio door is open it gets rather loud. So far it's just been a case of my wife and I looking at each other, when they do this, and we both shake our heads. Since this gal has decided to make an issue of the infrequent and short barking of my dog, I think I'll give 911 a call when they start fighting again. I'm sure that with the noise they make I could interest the local PD to investigate a "possible domestic violence" incident.

Since their house is uphill from mine, and all the noise from the back of their house "broadcasts" to about 7-10 other houses in the neighborhood, they won't be able to "pin the call" on any specific house.

Mainsail

Since when is escalating the first option? When I lived in Tacoma my landlord was an older lady who is a bit eccentric (to say the least). Our neighbor, a grown man, would often try to antagonize her. I thought he was an immature ass, to put it in family friendly terms.

Why don't you just chalk it up to living in suburbia and leave her alone?

Last edited:

dadada

I guess I am the wacky neighbor.

I have a neighbor with 2 worthless rat dogs (Jack Russels) who will bark at anything that moves within their visual range. That usually means me or my wife. They will be let out and they will rush the fence and bark, especially at my wife. They don't bark much at me anymore (the miracle of pepper spray!). They also bark at noises. If they are in the backyard not making any noise and we open a sliding door or window they start barking and then suddenly shut up, like "what am I barking at".

I don't care if they do only bark for a couple of minutes, those couple of minutes everytime I am in the back yard, or on my deck, or even in the front and they see me is more than enough to get on my nerves because it happens EVERY TIME they are let out.

She has trained them that if they bark at the neighbors (me, behind us, where ever) they get to go inside as a reward.

IMO, what you need to do is teach your dog not to bark, unless it is at a threat..is it really that hard?

My neighbor has had the pleasure of talking to the local code enforcement once and the sheriff twice, one more time and the tickets start flying at 84 dollars a pop. I don't really care, I want to enjoy my backyard without those worthless dogs rushing the fence and barking. Granted they only bark a total of 2 minutes a day, because as soon as they bark they are brought inside, but I don't care. They are still barking and disturbing me.

IMO, childish retaliation against your neighbor for being disturbed by your dog barking will only lead to an escalation of bad feelings in the neighborhood, which seldom works out well.

bob

Bob, You sound like the same kind of peckerhead that I've got as a nextdoor neighbor. The guy that would complain about my my barking dog, but didn't think twice about letting his custom 350cbi hotrod idle to "warm up", or his MG roadster idling to "warm up" before he'd run them around the block once a week. This happened BEFORE and AFTER the dog had died. Apparently the noises coming from his lot were soothing, and mine were irritating. Because his prostate apparently irritated him early, he had a habit of idling his cars early in the morning. Any noise issues coming from your property that might be a problem with your neighbors?

BobR

Bob, You sound like the same kind of peckerhead that I've got as a nextdoor neighbor.

Nice...and you sound like a dolt who likes to make assumptions without knowing a single thing about another person.

FYI, no there aren't any noise issues coming from my house or yard. I try to be a good neighbor, and I must succeed because we haven't had any issuse other than a moronic person who has no idea how to train her dogs. Well, I shouldn't say that, she has them trained that if they bark while in the backyard they get to go inside. If there were noise issues and someone complained, I would do the good neighbor thing and stop them, or reduce them to the point they aren't an issue.

bob

xxx.jakk.xxx

Escalation through such behavior as is being encouraged in this thread is not the answer.

There are people who I'd be happy to use such annoying devices as the "Annoy-a-tron" against. I live in an upstairs apartment and had a very annoying neighbor. He was playing extremely loud music and I was watching a movie with my lady. I stomped on the floor to get him to stop playing the music so loud and he decided he needed to come upstairs and YELL at me, telling me that I needed to keep it down because his kid was sleeping. I told him I did it to make him turn his music down and he completely ignored me and continued listening to his extremely loud music. From then on any noises coming from my apartment, even just walking, would cause him to come up and b***h at me about the noise. He never stopped playing his music loudly. My talking to him many times never helped, so I would have loved to have annoyed him as much as he annoyed me.

Sometimes these immature things are completely called for.

JoeSparky

Centurion
Way off topic but I know that there are some devious minds here and I need to mine them for some ideas.

I have this neighbor who's wife or girlfriend (he's a bit of a recluse so we never talk) spends all day in their bedroom. When my dog ( a very small Shih Tsu) goes out in the yard to answer nature's call, he barks about 5 times and then goes and sniffs everything. This neighbor leaves the bedroom window open a little for ventilation most times but as soon as she hears the dog she runs and opens it wide. Then puts one of those birdhouse devices that are supposed to keep dogs from barking in the window. The dog doesn't even care when she does this, he'll bark or not as he feels like. So much for effectiveness of this $50 item. At times she has even gone to the window and screamed at dogs over a block away to shut up.

Before anyone gets the idea that this neighborhood is full of barking dogs, the total time in a day that ANY dog, including my own, barks is about 2 minutes. They bark once or twice and then are quiet.

Anyone know of any "device" that would emit some irritating noises at random intervals? Something that makes noises like a cricket, bullfrog, duck quacking, etc? that I could put under the eve of my backyard shed? Something that would just cause her to close the window if she doesn't like neighborhood noises. I wouldn't even consider this if she wouldn't open the window wide upon hearing any barking dog. Strange person.

If it were me I'd choose a very subtle route... Like a BUNCH of windchimes all across that part of the house closest to hers.... but that is just me! Maybe, train your dog to pull on the center chime thing... LOL

Deleted_User

Way off topic but I know that there are some devious minds here and I need to mine them for some ideas.

I have this neighbor who's wife or girlfriend (he's a bit of a recluse so we never talk) spends all day in their bedroom. When my dog ( a very small Shih Tsu) goes out in the yard to answer nature's call, he barks about 5 times and then goes and sniffs everything. This neighbor leaves the bedroom window open a little for ventilation most times but as soon as she hears the dog she runs and opens it wide. Then puts one of those birdhouse devices that are supposed to keep dogs from barking in the window. The dog doesn't even care when she does this, he'll bark or not as he feels like. So much for effectiveness of this $50 item. At times she has even gone to the window and screamed at dogs over a block away to shut up.

Before anyone gets the idea that this neighborhood is full of barking dogs, the total time in a day that ANY dog, including my own, barks is about 2 minutes. They bark once or twice and then are quiet.

Anyone know of any "device" that would emit some irritating noises at random intervals? Something that makes noises like a cricket, bullfrog, duck quacking, etc? that I could put under the eve of my backyard shed? Something that would just cause her to close the window if she doesn't like neighborhood noises. I wouldn't even consider this if she wouldn't open the window wide upon hearing any barking dog. Strange person.

Two words: Fish Fry :cool: