• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Is Ammo Bros ANTI Open Carry? Other Gun Stores?

ryanburbridge

This started by uplandoc at http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/showthread.php?83104-OC-in-Ontario&p=1399866#post1399866

Stopped by Ammo Bros. in Ontario today to pick up some assorted ammo. I UOC everyday and rarely have issues. I usually go to Bass Pro, and love it there because of how welcoming the store is to OC. After about 5 min of browsing Ammo Bros selection, an employee approaches me. He asks if I'm open carrying, to which I reply "Of course". He informs me he'll let me UOC in the store this time, but next time I need to leave my firearm in my car. I ask why and he says to me "We can't have everyone walking around with guns". I had hoped a store like Ammo Bros would be more welcoming to fellow-minded gun enthusiasts, but apparently not. :question: The other 2 employees just stood in silence. I was excited to check out their large selection, but after that conversation... It looks like Bass Pro will be receiving my hard earned money.

Last sunday I also went to Ammo bros in Cerritos. I walked in towards the end of the day closing time. I had just come from an HGreen meet up. I had my wife and kids. After looking for a holster with no luck I went to the counter to ask if they had one. I spoke to the gunsmith. The first thing that was said before I could ask a thing was him asking me if my "shield" was showing. It caught me off guard and I just asked what. He then said "You are LEO arnt you? I informed him I was an armed citizen not LEO. He looked very stunned. Next after about 10 min I was at the counter looking at guns when the owner of ammo bros came up to me and started a conversation. This is all on audio and lasted about 20 min. He asked a lot of questions. He had only heard of UOC in CA because of a meet set up by Hgreen. (The meet at the fair.) He was very open to it but had concerns about it in his store. He has had threats by a gang going to kidnap him and bring him to the store and rob it. He actually said "What about a criminal UOC into the store and then loading up and robbing the place?" I quickly said NO WAY. If a criminal was going to rob you they would NOT UOC they would just conceal a LOADED gun until time for the crime. I also informed him that he could put up a sign that said something like "no cary of guns" or "All guns must be checked" at the door and no one would enter with a gun. (legally) He laughed at the idea and said "that would look god a gun store anti gun" I agreed. He said I was the very first to UOC into his store that he knew of. All staff at ammo bros is armed and ready to roll.

**** Here is a link to audio. click the FREE ACCOUNT SLOW DOWNLOAD on Right. http://rapidshare.com/files/430513067/Ammo_Bros_Audio_2.mp3 ****

I would call the Cerritos store and ask for the owner to inform his employees about the law in CA then to have them not give customers a hard time. Ask him if he has created a store policy against guns. If yes why would he be willing to disarm his customers?

I will also call and inform him that he is going to receive a lot of BAD press if he takes an anti UOC in his stores. If you guys want I could upload our conversation from sunday. I informed him I was recording. could there still be an issue of posting our conversation?

I have UOC into Field Times several deferent times wit NO issue. I think I will start looking into the gun stores in my area and bringing them up to speed on the CA law. Turners anti OC im going to find out and post about.

Last edited:

xnetc9

i already posted about something similar a few weeks ago... but i went to turners outdoors and asked about UOC and the outdoors clerk suggested that i should not UOC because u would be hassled. he went on about how he would never UOC because he dont want to be bothered by dealing with the E check. at the end, had i not been informed about the law and this forum, as a customer interested in defense, i would probably not UOC.

me and my girlfriend just yesterday, UOC into turner's and indeed, the workers there were nervous except for the store owner, a large old man. he came to the front desk to had us check in our weapons... which was basically a receipt stating what our gun was. we UOC without a problem.

ryanburbridge

i already posted about something similar a few weeks ago... but i went to turners outdoors and asked about UOC and the outdoors clerk suggested that i should not UOC because u would be hassled. he went on about how he would never UOC because he dont want to be bothered by dealing with the E check. at the end, had i not been informed about the law and this forum, as a customer interested in defense, i would probably not UOC.

me and my girlfriend just yesterday, UOC into turner's and indeed, the workers there were nervous except for the store owner, a large old man. he came to the front desk to had us check in our weapons... which was basically a receipt stating what our gun was. we UOC without a problem.

Store Owner? Turners is a chain owned by an investment group. see link

http://www.examiner.com/fishing-in-...urner-s-outdoorsman-bought-by-investment-team

by Mike Stevens
"ONTARIO, CA— Turner’s Outdoorsman, a 13-store chain of retail stores in Southern California specializing in firearms, hunting, and fishing gear, was purchased Monday (June 8, 2009) by four investors."

Did you get there store policy? I think this is what we should look for.

hgreen

Store Owner? Turners is a chain owned by an investment group. see link

http://www.examiner.com/fishing-in-...urner-s-outdoorsman-bought-by-investment-team

by Mike Stevens
"ONTARIO, CA— Turner’s Outdoorsman, a 13-store chain of retail stores in Southern California specializing in firearms, hunting, and fishing gear, was purchased Monday (June 8, 2009) by four investors."

Did you get there store policy? I think this is what we should look for.

Answer from Turner's Corporate RE: UOC

http://lists.southbayopencarry.org/...southbayopencarry.org/2010-August/000460.html