• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Positive Day in Vee Ay

ElTeeRanDee

First of all, let me just say I'm a 'long time listener, first time caller' - I've followed OCDO for several years now, and am a former resident of the State of Florida, which - while being a shall issue state and part founder of 'stand your ground' still has its faults.

That being said, onto my tale of adventure.

It should be noted that I'm an extremely clean cut military man, high and tight, generally well dressed in slacks and button down; because of this I elect to not carry my standard XD or Glock 23, but rather a S&W Model 10 wheelgun in a traditional western holster so as not to be 'confused' with LEOs of the sort.

Upon crossing the 'moat' into Virginia from Murderland, I pulled off for gas, 'up-armored' and went about my day shopping in the fabled Tyson's Corner and Tyson Gallery, in addition to PetCo

I encountered 2 LEOs and 1 security guard at Tyson's Corner Mall, all of whom gently nodded in my direction. Most people didn't notice, the few who did sheepishly stared from behind coatracks and various electronics.

My second stop, the Tyson Gallery was into the Jewelry region of Saks Fifth Avenue, where I was greeted with warmth; one woman asked if I was Law Enforcement and I replied 'No ma'am, just exercising the rights that the Commonwealth of Virginia has to offer' and she smiled, stating her husband was a 'gun nut.'

PetCo was a breeze, and nobody there gave me a second look. It was a terrific day, and though none of the fabled educational opportunities presented themselves, it was nice to feel like a free citizen.

Cheers!

-Randy

nova

I love this state.

Hope you enjoyed your stay, maybe you'll come back more permanently in the future :cool:

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
First off, thank you for your service to our nation.

And you needn't worry. Your G23 or XD would have been fine and fully acceptable for a "high and tight" persona. We are pleased that you crossed over the "moat" and paid a visit while exercising you God-given and Murderland (I like that one) stolen right. Isn't it amazing how just a simple 30-40 mile run down the highway to another state can make so much difference?

And you write not only very well, but also very interestingly and comical. Welcome aboard... we're happy to have you with us.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
Welcome aboard Lieutenant - job well done. You are educating (getting a response) every time you OC.

Perhaps you would enjoy attending some of the OC events (dinners etc) in NoVa. You are always welcome.

Dutch Uncle

Campaign Veteran
Thank you for your service, LT. I'm pleased but not surprised that your day in "free" Virginia was pleasant. I was a little concerned about your saying you came from "Murderland" before arming. As I understand it, its illegal in MD to even possess a pistol in your car trunk unless you are "just passin' thoo" from another state non-stop. Be careful. We sure don't want your next post to tell a tale of woe.

swinokur

Activist Member
Greetings LT. I m eternally grateful for your service sir. I live 3 miles from paradise in Bethesda, Murderland. Just as a point of correction as to your location it's Bodymore, Murderland.

i OC in VA almost every weekend. I don't spend a dime in Marylanistan that I can spend in VA. The only reason I'm still here is housing prices are way down and as soon as they improve I'm gone.

Great group of folks here on OCDO and you can learn a lot here, especially from this VA bunch. I have been to on OC lunch and even though it was small, it was excellent.

Welcome aboard

Last edited:

45acpForMe

Tyson's Corner Mall

Welcome to a "mostly" free state. :)

I am jealous though, all the malls down here in Southern VA seem to think that OC is a four letter word. Is Tyson's OC friendly or did you luck out with mall security?

I avoid the mall for the most part but have two daughters and I would be no use to them unless the occassional trip to the mall is included. :-(

Tess

Founder's Club Member
First of all, let me just say I'm a 'long time listener, first time caller' - I've followed OCDO for several years now, and am a former resident of the State of Florida, which - while being a shall issue state and part founder of 'stand your ground' still has its faults.

<snip>

Cheers!

-Randy

Welcome, LT! Feel free to visit any time. And if you get feeling like you need a taste of freedom on short notice, post a note here, and you'll likely find someone willing to join you in VA for a meal or three.

SouthernBoy

Welcome, LT! Feel free to visit any time. And if you get feeling like you need a taste of freedom on short notice, post a note here, and you'll likely find someone willing to join you in VA for a meal or three.

What say we put something together for our friend across the "moat"? I'm game for a lunch pretty much any day with decent notice. I just don't know very many places in the closer-in Fairfax/Falls Church/etc. areas. What say?

swinokur

Activist Member
Murderland. Bodymore. You Maryland folks sure do have a great sense of humor. Good for you.

Don't forget my personal fav:

The People's Republik of Marylandistan

Condemned men always have gallows humor ! Alan Gura is working to commute our sentence from lifelong defenselessness. (Is that a word?)

What say we put something together for our friend across the "moat"? I'm game for a lunch pretty much any day with decent notice. I just don't know very many places in the closer-in Fairfax/Falls Church/etc. areas. What say?
Count me in !

Last edited:

ElTeeRanDee

Count me in !

Love it. I'm in as well, as a matter of fact, I'm in VA again today, Just left Fort Belvoir and I'm officially back as a free citizen.

Thanks for the warm welcome, honestly I'm sorry I didn't join the forums sooner! I live in Baltimore, but I'm greatly considering a move to the NOVA area with my lovely significant other - I work in both MD and VA, so what's the difference? I'd rather give my tax money to a state that recognizes our inalienable rights. It does burn my britches to think that a founding colony could be so oppressive.

The one thing I can say about you all here at OCDO is that you are the few who fight for the rights of many. I know I'm preaching to the choir, but so few people realize that only a few short miles away in Maryland, their rights are an endangered species.

I've noticed a few events around, has anyone thought about putting together an 'information' booth at a WalMart? I know they tend to be pretty friendly with organizations getting together, and it would be a good way to let the public know what their rights are, pamphlets and things of that nature. I'm a new guy on the block, but I'm willing to do some of the legwork.

-Randy

ElTeeRanDee

Welcome to a "mostly" free state. :)

I am jealous though, all the malls down here in Southern VA seem to think that OC is a four letter word. Is Tyson's OC friendly or did you luck out with mall security?

I avoid the mall for the most part but have two daughters and I would be no use to them unless the occassional trip to the mall is included. :-(

I came in through the food court, there are no signs posted on the door other than 'NO SMOKING' and when you walk in, there are no 'mall rules' immediately visible. I passed security, and they didn't seem to mind a lick.

Though, they do have businesses that are open in the food court from the outside with private entrances (Panera, McDonald's) which are typically OC Friendly.

-Randy

Tess

Founder's Club Member

Lunch only works for me on weekends. I work on a military base in DC (choke, puke) so I'm disarmed a significant portion of my workday.

I'm tied up next Saturday (working Chantilly show for VCDL) but open Sunday. After that, it'll be December.

Grapeshot

Legendary Warrior
snip....
The one thing I can say about you all here at OCDO is that you are the few who fight for the rights of many.

Check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) the premier grass roots RKBA organization in the country - most here in Va. are members. http://www.vcdl.org/

While you are there, be sure and sign up for the free Va-Alerts - will keep you up to date on what's happening, changes to the laws et al.

ElTeeRanDee

Lunch only works for me on weekends. I work on a military base in DC (choke, puke) so I'm disarmed a significant portion of my workday.

I'm tied up next Saturday (working Chantilly show for VCDL) but open Sunday. After that, it'll be December.

I had some business at the Marine Corps Barracks Recently, I was on official (Army) business and it wasn't pretty. I always hate being THAT close to VA and not being able to carry.

SouthernBoy

Condemned men always have gallows humor ! Alan Gura is working to commute our sentence from lifelong defenselessness. (Is that a word?)

Count me in !

I made a mistake. I used the singular form when I wrote, 'for our friend across the "moat"'. I had meant "friends" as I certainly did not mean to exclude our friend, swinokur from any VA activities.

Tess;

Do you think it might not be wise to do a Saturday lunch what with the upcoming holidays? I'm open for whatever anyone might want to come up with so those who's schedules are a bit more tight with things might need to be the driving force since their time is more pressed. I'll go now and search out another hole into which I can crawl and disappear.

SB

Wolf_shadow

Activist Member
Check out the Virginia Citizens Defense League (VCDL) the premier grass roots RKBA organization in the country - most here in Va. are members. http://www.vcdl.org/

While you are there, be sure and sign up for the free Va-Alerts - will keep you up to date on what's happening, changes to the laws et al.

ElteeRanDee Also check out http://marylandshallissue.org/ They are working to bring hope to Maryland They are also on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/pages/Libertytown-MD/Maryland-Shall-Issue/44771249761