• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Registering a hand gun

Teddybear

I have owened this hand gun for 18 years. I bought it from the orig with a bill of sale but now would like to get it registered in my name to carry with an ccw/oc..... ( is this possibile ) after all these years ( missouri )

OldCurlyWolf

Actually there is no registration in the majority of the states. Just stay out of NY, NJ, CA and a few others.

Teddybear

Yep. What you are asking to do is impossible in Missouri... the way it should be.

You are right. I have talk to the ATF and they told me to just write down the serial no and take a picture witch is what the Leo told me to do, Say la Vee and oh well, Happy OC and thanks.

eye95

I wouldn't be asking BATFE or local LEOs for firearms advice, legal or otherwise. These folks aren't motivated by your rights interests. (I am not saying that they are specifically trying to violate your rights; it's just not the goal of their mission to ensure that your rights are protected.) Almost everyone on this board is motivated by the retention and restoration your individual RKBA. You'll get advice that serves your rights interests far better from one of us than from LE.

Teddybear

I wouldn't be asking BATFE or local LEOs for firearms advice, legal or otherwise. These folks aren't motivated by your rights interests. (I am not saying that they are specifically trying to violate your rights; it's just not the goal of their mission to ensure that your rights are protected.) Almost everyone on this board is motivated by the retention and restoration your individual RKBA. You'll get advice that serves your rights interests far better from one of us than from LE.

Thank you and I will continue to read and ask questions on this forum.... Luv my rights.

Teddybear

??

What reason did they give for this?

If your weapon ever got lost or stolen , then got found and they run the serial number the would return it to the original owner. You have your paper work that shows you are the owner now and have the serial no. to report it if was not bought through a dealer with a FTL.

eye95

If your weapon ever got lost or stolen , then got found and they run the serial number the would return it to the original owner. You have your paper work that shows you are the owner now and have the serial no. to report it if was not bought through a dealer with a FTL.

I can replace a stolen gun. It would be harder to replace a confiscated gun if it came to that. I am not going to voluntarily give the government the tools that they could later use to violate my rights.

No. I won't voluntarily register my gun(s), however many of them I have.

aadvark

There exists Registration of HandGuns in The State of Nevada, however; such Registration is ONLY Permisasble in a County, or a City therein, that has a Population of atleast 400,000 Persons, in accordance with the last Official DeCennial Census . The ONLY County in Nevada, thus, that Qualifies is: Clark County.
Longguns CANNOT be made to Register.

Relevant Nevada Statutes: NRS 244.364(3) AND NRS 268.418(3).

Historical Note: The Nevada State Legisalture 'Grand-Fathered' pre-1989 Local Firearm-related Ordinances when the above mentioned two Nevada Statues were implemented, however; in the mids-2000's, The Nevada Legislature Revised the exception to ONLY allow continued Registration of Privately-owned HandGuns ONLY in Clark County, and around The Las Vegas Area.