Thread: new to Wi

Angry new to Wi

Boy I see this is gonna be a challenge. I have recently relocated from La. where I OC'd all the time, OC in vehichle was allowed and Castle doctrine was lawful. Now I move here and supposedly can OC but have to deal with gun transport issues like cased or not, loaded or not, within reach or not......HELP. I can see it now that I will soon be classified as a criminal unless someone teaches or shows me CURRENT valid law.

McX
    welcome to the forum, welcome to hell, no wait, that's Illinois. One of my brothers will be along shortly here to give you the run down, i suggest you join WisconsinCarry immediately.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Quote Originally Posted by lamuskrat View Post
    I can see it now that I will soon be classified as a criminal unless someone teaches or shows me CURRENT valid law.[DH emphasis]
    http://legis.wisconsin.gov/rsb/stats.html

http://www.legis.state.wi.us/rsb/Statutes.html

Particularly Chapter 941

Unless you are prohibited by some status crime, you can legally carry NOW in Wisconsin - maybe not in the Californicated state of Washington.
    Last edited by Doug Huffman; 11-13-2010 at 01:54 PM.

Founder's Club Member - Moderator Gray Peterson's Avatar
    Boy I see this is gonna be a challenge. I have recently relocated from La. where I OC'd all the time, OC in vehichle was allowed and Castle doctrine was lawful. Now I move here and supposedly can OC but have to deal with gun transport issues like cased or not, loaded or not, within reach or not......HELP. I can see it now that I will soon be classified as a criminal unless someone teaches or shows me CURRENT valid law.
    I'm surprised you didn't do your research before moving to Wisconsin. There are specific legal questions about where to carry and how to do so.

I suggest joining WCI and help us get constitutional carry and significant reductions/repeals of the weapons laws of Wisconsin. I predict that you'll be able to carry in the next 6 months.

Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Well, since no one has actually answered your question, you can open carry in any place that isn't posted except:

1. Facilities with a class-b liquor license. Basically, places that serve alcohol by the drink
    2. Government buildings
    3. State parks
    4. cars
    5. within 1000' of a school.

I would recommend joining www.wisconsincarry.org, the premier WI based gun carry rights organization in WI. All of their staff are volunteers.

Where in WI are you based? We are having a couple get togethers in the next few weeks.

Welcome to Wisconsin. Like Paul said, you can carry within those limits.
    In God I trust. Everyone else needs to keep your hands where I can see them.

Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    welcome to the forum, welcome to hell, no wait, that's Illinois. One of my brothers will be along shortly here to give you the run down, i suggest you join WisconsinCarry immediately.
    actually im moving to New Jersey soon and from what I read on their laws, we have it great, NJ has permit carry but good luck getting one even if your retired leo which i am not, no magazine/clips that hold more than 15 rounds and do NOT get caught carrying a weapon in your car unless going to a pre designated shooting range and DO NOT stop at the gas station on the way or you will get 3 years in prison even if it's a bb gun !!

as stated above their are 5 places you cannot carry and I did not see the 24 hours before the deer gun season when your not permited to carry anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Beretta-m9 View Post
    as stated above their are 5 places you cannot carry and I did not see the 24 hours before the deer gun season when your not permited to carry anywhere.
    Personally I am going to make a point of carrying even if I wasn't gonna go anywhere that day.

You can transport your firearm inside the vehicle as long as it is unloaded and encased (keep it on the seat, not under it). Paul covered the other parts.
    No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. Thomas Jefferson (1776)

If you go into a store, with a gun, and rob it, you have forfeited your right to not get shot - Joe Deters, Hamilton County (Cincinnati) Prosecutor

I ask sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people except for a few politicians. - George Mason (father of the Bill of Rights and The Virginia Declaration of Rights)

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden. State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gray Peterson View Post
    I predict that you'll be able to carry in the next 6 months.
    You can open carry now. Concealed Carry may be along in the next 6 months, but who knows.

Beretta-M9, if you do not have to move to NJ, reconsider it. There is very little good about the laws there for you.

Limits on rifles, difficult to get a permit, handguns very difficult, and more.

lamuskrat, where in WI are you Located? I am sure there are a number of people that would help you learn the ropes. I carry a Bersa 380 thunder dlx, I use the gun sock it came with and it sits on my dash. As for the proper way to load and unload with your vehichle, that just takes time and a routine.
    I am also new to this site, So I would love to hear any comments or suggestions from people in the Watertown and surrounding areas.. I have been OC in WI for 3 years now.

Welcome to the frozen white north. (Well, it's working on being frozen, & will shortly become white for far longer than you want to deal with.)

Completely aside from the friendship & support (ask some of us how IMPORTANT that support has been on occasion!), have a look at the www.wisconsincarry.org site to get links to pertinant WI laws.

In the upper right is a button that says "legal". Hover, then click on the dropdown that says "Wisconsin legal citations". Has statutes, case law, & a couple other useful things.

(For background to some discussions you might catch up to here, also check out the Madison 5 & Brookfield links under that "legal" button. As I said, WI Carry has been very helpful & supportive from time to time.)

Quote Originally Posted by Carryon View Post
    Beretta-M9, if you do not have to move to NJ, reconsider it. There is very little good about the laws there for you.

Limits on rifles, difficult to get a permit, handguns very difficult, and more.
    lol, yeah I know looked into all their laws, it's only temp. and then im moving to arizona

I am currently in the Watertown / Johnson Creek area. Appreciate all the helpful info.

I am currently in the Watertown / Johnson Creek area. Appreciate all the helpful info.
    This is going to happen in your area:

http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ay-December-12