• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

new to Wi

lamuskrat

Boy I see this is gonna be a challenge. I have recently relocated from La. where I OC'd all the time, OC in vehichle was allowed and Castle doctrine was lawful. Now I move here and supposedly can OC but have to deal with gun transport issues like cased or not, loaded or not, within reach or not......HELP. I can see it now that I will soon be classified as a criminal unless someone teaches or shows me CURRENT valid law.

M

McX

welcome to the forum, welcome to hell, no wait, that's Illinois. One of my brothers will be along shortly here to give you the run down, i suggest you join WisconsinCarry immediately.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Last edited:

Gray Peterson

Founder's Club Member - Moderator
Boy I see this is gonna be a challenge. I have recently relocated from La. where I OC'd all the time, OC in vehichle was allowed and Castle doctrine was lawful. Now I move here and supposedly can OC but have to deal with gun transport issues like cased or not, loaded or not, within reach or not......HELP. I can see it now that I will soon be classified as a criminal unless someone teaches or shows me CURRENT valid law.

I'm surprised you didn't do your research before moving to Wisconsin. There are specific legal questions about where to carry and how to do so.

I suggest joining WCI and help us get constitutional carry and significant reductions/repeals of the weapons laws of Wisconsin. I predict that you'll be able to carry in the next 6 months.

paul@paul-fisher.com

Well, since no one has actually answered your question, you can open carry in any place that isn't posted except:

1. Facilities with a class-b liquor license. Basically, places that serve alcohol by the drink
2. Government buildings
3. State parks
4. cars
5. within 1000' of a school.

I would recommend joining www.wisconsincarry.org, the premier WI based gun carry rights organization in WI. All of their staff are volunteers.

Where in WI are you based? We are having a couple get togethers in the next few weeks.

Beretta-m9

welcome to the forum, welcome to hell, no wait, that's Illinois. One of my brothers will be along shortly here to give you the run down, i suggest you join WisconsinCarry immediately.

actually im moving to New Jersey soon and from what I read on their laws, we have it great, NJ has permit carry but good luck getting one even if your retired leo which i am not, no magazine/clips that hold more than 15 rounds and do NOT get caught carrying a weapon in your car unless going to a pre designated shooting range and DO NOT stop at the gas station on the way or you will get 3 years in prison even if it's a bb gun !!

as stated above their are 5 places you cannot carry and I did not see the 24 hours before the deer gun season when your not permited to carry anywhere.

blaze

I'm surprised you didn't do your research before moving to Wisconsin. There are specific legal questions about where to carry and how to do so.

I suggest joining WCI and help us get constitutional carry and significant reductions/repeals of the weapons laws of Wisconsin. I predict that you'll be able to carry in the next 6 months.

That is a bold prediction coming from a Washington state resident.

Misleading to all Wisconsin residents involved in the gun rights situation.

protias

You can transport your firearm inside the vehicle as long as it is unloaded and encased (keep it on the seat, not under it). Paul covered the other parts.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
To “go armed” does not require going anywhere. The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden. State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).

Carryon

Beretta-M9, if you do not have to move to NJ, reconsider it. There is very little good about the laws there for you.

Limits on rifles, difficult to get a permit, handguns very difficult, and more.

Melchar23

lamuskrat, where in WI are you Located? I am sure there are a number of people that would help you learn the ropes. I carry a Bersa 380 thunder dlx, I use the gun sock it came with and it sits on my dash. As for the proper way to load and unload with your vehichle, that just takes time and a routine.
I am also new to this site, So I would love to hear any comments or suggestions from people in the Watertown and surrounding areas.. I have been OC in WI for 3 years now.

MKEgal

Welcome to the frozen white north. (Well, it's working on being frozen, & will shortly become white for far longer than you want to deal with.)

Completely aside from the friendship & support (ask some of us how IMPORTANT that support has been on occasion!), have a look at the www.wisconsincarry.org site to get links to pertinant WI laws.

In the upper right is a button that says "legal". Hover, then click on the dropdown that says "Wisconsin legal citations". Has statutes, case law, & a couple other useful things.

(For background to some discussions you might catch up to here, also check out the Madison 5 & Brookfield links under that "legal" button. As I said, WI Carry has been very helpful & supportive from time to time.)

Beretta-m9

Beretta-M9, if you do not have to move to NJ, reconsider it. There is very little good about the laws there for you.

Limits on rifles, difficult to get a permit, handguns very difficult, and more.

lol, yeah I know looked into all their laws, it's only temp. and then im moving to arizona :lol: