• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Wallingford Man Arrested for Filming New Haven Police

JohnnyO

I thought this looks like an interesting story. New Haven is getting out of control.

http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/...d-for-Filming-New-Haven-Police-107617839.html

A bit of curiosity led to a night in jail for Luis Luna, 26, of Wallingford. "It was a pretty abrupt thing, my rights were completely violated," said Luna.

Luna was in New Haven on College Street during the police department's Operation Nightlife, when he saw police arrest two guys and took out his iPhone to record it. ...

KIX

But, there is something incredible about the whole incident (actually quite good). After the media started inquiring about the the cause for the arrest, the police chief sent out a memo saying that recording alone isn't a crime and the phones and files are NOT to be deleted.

I say interesting, because of the newer applications coming out on phones (like qik) that allow immediate streaming to a video service (like Youtube). Even if the phone is confiscated, when a LEO thinks he got the upper hand, he may not realize the files is already on the web.

Jonathan

emsjeep

But, there is something incredible about the whole incident (actually quite good). After the media started inquiring about the the cause for the arrest, the police chief sent out a memo saying that recording alone isn't a crime and the phones and files are NOT to be deleted.

I say interesting, because of the newer applications coming out on phones (like qik) that allow immediate streaming to a video service (like Youtube). Even if the phone is confiscated, when a LEO thinks he got the upper hand, he may not realize the files is already on the web.

Jonathan

Live streaming video is the way to go...that or what they use in other states, a prearranged recorded line to call. The gov't shouldn't be afraid of being accountable for their actions. If its a problem, perhaps they should revaluate what behavior they are engaging in. If its really outrageous you could call 911, but that should be a last resort in only very clear and dire circumstances.

Last edited:

ctgunfreedom

I am amazed what they think they can do and violate a civilian's right. I noticed that they talked about forming a civilian complain review board. You mean to tell me there is no independent agency that overviews civilian complaints. I mean even the President of the United States has to answer to the Senate and Congress before doing most things.

When I lived in NYC we had a civilian complaint review board and think that is the best way to prevent these problems. Hey, let me know where I can sign up I would love to do my civic duty in reviewing these complaints.

Contrarian

recording...

"In a statement, Police Chief Frank Limon said, "Every sworn member of the department takes an oath to uphold the State and Federal Constitution. "

And yet the incriminating video section went missing...

Sounds like it's better to ask forgiveness than permission.

dcmdon

Here truth as we all know it really is:

Cops go about their day mostly trying to just get by and not screw up. They are human, like the rest of us.

As humans who routinely go into harms way they form tight bonds with their co-workers. There develops a kind of groupthink that makes otherwise decent people do bad things if the group is doing bad things.

This is combined with the general concept among LEOs that they aren't bound by most laws. For example, most expect a "professional courtesy" if they are stopped for a minor motor vehicle infraction while driving their personal vehicles. Many expected and got rides home if they were caught driving drunk. I don't know if it still goes on, but I know it was NORMAL among the Amity, Prospect, Naugatuck cops in the early 90s. The IA report on the CT state police done by the NY State Police confirms that this went on well into the 90s.

Oops, he "bumped" his head getting into the patrol car.
Oops, he was "resisting" so we had to give him a wack to set him straight.
Oops, he made a move for that openly carried handgun, so we shot him.

So the chief, knowing that nothing will happen, has the kids phone grabbed. Why? Because he can. He knows nothing will come of it. I think he's probably right.

With respect to the Chief's comment that recording is legal, reread what he said. It is filled with "weasel words". It certainly leaves enough room for an officer to claim that the videographer was interfering with the LEO.

They need to be sued. That is all that will stop this. Hmm. This is starting to sound like and OC discussion.

Don

p.s. In 1990 I was arrested coming back into New Haven (where I lived on Whalley Ave) from shooting Trap with my father at the Branford Gun Club. In the car I also had a Ruger .22 target pistol. On my person I had a S&W 6906 9mm. I stumbled into a drug bust and ended up getting "taken down" when an officer saw my shotgun across the back seat of my car. (totally legal). I was stopped felony style. 3 cars, 10+ officers in external body armor, guns drawn down on me. After going through my stuff they realized they had no crime.

So they falsified their report to say that my 6906 was sitting on the dashboard and charged me with the catchall breach of peace / wreckless endangerment. To make a long story short, I spent a lovely evening as a guest of the NHPD, learned what a "CO" was, got let go on a PTA, charges were dropped (NOT nolle'd), they called the BFPE and had my permit pulled, they refused to give me my guns back. I eventually got them back, with a dent in the stock of my shotgun and 3 mags missing from the S&W. I filed an IA complaint which was settled for a small amount of cash to fix my shotgun and my magazines were suddenly "found".

Since then I've realized that once the cops, any cops, get "wound up" there is little to do other than go along for the ride and document everything.

Last edited:

dcmdon

I think its typical to any kind of group where its members feel an attachment forged in danger. They're human. That kind of dynamic could happen to most people in a similar situation.

dcmdon

I'm sure they were. And I bet most loved their families also.

There is a difference between trying to provide an explanation and making an excuse.
I'm trying to do the former.