• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Glock cleaning & lubing

strife1013

I just bought a Glock 23C back in October of this year and been to the range a few times to go shooting. I have now put about 400 rounds through my weapon and cleaned it for the first time today, I lubed once after I went through the range and shot 100 rounds through it. I'm going to start cleaning it every time I go to the range but I was wondering how often should I lube it as well?? Every other trip or?? There is no more of that gold stuff that came with it when I first bought it, I think I removed it all after cleaning it and whipping it down a few times.

Any tips and ideas would be very helpful, thank you.

Steve9MMinMO

If you are doing a good job of cleaning it, then you are going to be removing all of the lubrication along with the powder residue and other random dirt that is in there. You should therefore lightly lubricate everything with a good gun oil (Rem Oil is what I use) after each cleaning.

If you shoot regularly, the light coating of gun oil should be enough to keep everything in working order. If you are storing you weapon for longer periods of time without using it, then you need to grease it before you store it and then clean that grease out before you fire it. I take mine to the range 2-3 times a week so I just clean & Rem Oil it after each trip.

swinokur

Activist Member
Glocks don't like or need a lot of lube. I do my G30 and G22 after every 300 rounds or every other range trip. YMMV. I use FP 10 or Gunzilla for lube

OCglock1988

nice gun, congrats

when i clean my glock 19 I make an effort to not get any oil or solvent any where near the back of the slide/firing pin area. I then put a VERY small amount of hoppes #9 on the rails the slide rides on, a little on the barrel where the top of it hits the inside of the slide, a small coating on the outside of the barrel, then a little at the front of the slide. Im not an expert but this has worked really well for me.

On a side note Im just curious why you decided to go with the compensated model and if you have shot it in low light?

swinokur

Activist Member
My G22 is compensated and low light shooting is no different than any other pistol IMO.Good ammo minimizes muzzle flash.Nothing personal to anyone but I think a lot of this comes from people on Internet gun forums who don't even own a compensated pistol. A 357 magnum has more muzzle blast I got mine because that's what the gun store had in stock. They gave me a regular G22 price;

Don't forget a drop of oil where the trigger bar and connector touch each other.

Last edited:

strife1013

when i clean my glock 19 I make an effort to not get any oil or solvent any where near the back of the slide/firing pin area. I then put a VERY small amount of hoppes #9 on the rails the slide rides on, a little on the barrel where the top of it hits the inside of the slide, a small coating on the outside of the barrel, then a little at the front of the slide. Im not an expert but this has worked really well for me.

On a side note Im just curious why you decided to go with the compensated model and if you have shot it in low light?

I decided to go with the compensated model because for about $50 more and from what it says on the Glock web site it is better for rapid fire and since I'm already spending over $500 why not spend a couple more bucks for this feature. I'm used to a M16 during my army days and not an expert on firearms, trying to learn more about them though.

Gray Rider

Per the GLOCK Armorer's Manual

Using a quality gun oil ( Hoppe's #9 is a solvent, not an oil!) lubricate the barrel, the barrel hood, the barrel lug, and the inside of the slide where the hood rubs against the slide. ( Put one or two drops on your finger and rub all these areas with the one one or two drops.) Take ONLY one drop of oil on your finger and rub each slide rail, or put one drop of oil in each slide rail cut. ( We put one drop at the rear end of each rail cut then stand the slide on the muzzle end and let the drop run down.) Most imporant, put one drop of oil where the connector and trigger bar meet.

GLOCK pistols are designed to operate with only small amounts of lubrication in strategic locations.

Last edited:

since9

Campaign Veteran
I decided to go with the compensated model because for about $50 more and from what it says on the Glock web site it is better for rapid fire and since I'm already spending over $500 why not spend a couple more bucks for this feature. I'm used to a M16 during my army days and not an expert on firearms, trying to learn more about them though.

Good choice! And money well spent on the lightweight Glock. The M-16 was designed for minimal, if any rise during recoil. A good compensator accomplishes much the same.

swinokur

Activist Member
A proper cleaning removes lube, hence it should be reapplied. The Glock manual says use oil. Some people use grease. I have used T-25B white grease on the trigger bar-connector interface with no apparent problems, Glocks do not like a lot of oil so don't over do it. A small drop in each place with spreading onto affected areas should suffice

heresyourdipstickjimmy

Using a quality gun oil ( Hoppe's #9 is a solvent, not an oil!) lubricate the barrel, the barrel hood, the barrel lug, and the inside of the slide where the hood rubs against the slide. ( Put one or two drops on your finger and rub all these areas with the one one or two drops.) Take ONLY one drop of oil on your finger and rub each slide rail, or put one drop of oil in each slide rail cut. ( We put one drop at the rear end of each rail cut then stand the slide on the muzzle end and let the drop run down.) Most imporant, put one drop of oil where the connector and trigger bar meet.

GLOCK pistols are designed to operate with only small amounts of lubrication in strategic locations.

Thar ye be!

That's all I lubricate. Of course, I thoroughly clean the nooks and crannies in my Glock.

strife1013

I just put a little bit of grease instead of oil on the suggested areas, very little of course and have decided when I clean it I will lube it up after I'm done cleaning it as well. Thanks for all the info. I'm gonna get some of that copper stuff the factory puts on it as well.

OCglock1988

might recommend against the copper grease stuff

I dont think I would use that because it definitely is a dirt/fouling magnet and will gunk up your slide really bad... my G19 was my first handgun and I didnt clean it before firing the first 150 rounds through it and afterwards it was dirty as hell

strife1013

I dont think I would use that because it definitely is a dirt/fouling magnet and will gunk up your slide really bad... my G19 was my first handgun and I didnt clean it before firing the first 150 rounds through it and afterwards it was dirty as hell

Really huh, interesting..I haven't bought any yet or put any on my handgun it was just a a thought since that is what the factory uses as well. I paid nearly $600 for my gun and want to take care of it and make sure it lasts quite awhile :)

Almost wish I bought the 4th generation model, ehhh ohh well :p

SouthernBoy

Western Prince William County, Virginia, USA
My primary carry gun is one of my 3G Glock 23's and the only lubrication I use for it is either a high quality spray silicone or a touch of Hornady One Shot gun cleaner and dry lube. I don't like to use anything which is oily or greasy because it is a carry gun and I want to avoid the pickup of dirt and debris from an oily film. Fortunately, Glocks don't require much lubrication at all so I'm good to go.

Tazman2

I use slide glide personally on all my firearms and sure it sticks to the grease but all I do is take a paper towel and wipe out the grease which now has all the junk attached to it. Tada! No more junk inside and no solvent required for most of the firearm! Then just regrease! :)

Ivan Sample

I own a Glock 22 and when I clean and lube my Glock all I do is put a thin layer of oil inside the barrel and run a dry patch through it. I also put a drop of oil on each rail and put it back together and then I cycle it a few times. Glocks are known to take a beating before cleaning or lubing them. To me I think Glocks are good guns and my gun always go bang when I pull the trigger!

Last edited:

Dreamer

That copper lube that Glock ships on their rails is essentially a sort of lubricating lapping compound. It polished the rails when you shoot the gun, assuring smoother operation, and quicker break-in.

You can get it from other sources like Glockmeister, but it's not really the sort of lube you want to put on your gun long-term. Leave it on the rails as best you can for the "break in period" (a few hundred rounds), and then use something else to lube.

I use silicone oil lube on all my semi-autos, including my G36, and it works well. Just a few drops are all you need on a Glock--they take a LOT less oil than 1911's, and actually DO NOT like to be over-lubed.