Thread: Traveling to NC, need to confirm some information.

Traveling to NC, need to confirm some information.

Hello gents, I'm traveling to NC from GA for the holidays and I need to confirm some information regarding firearm laws in the state of NC. I have a GA, UTAH, PA, and FL, firearm permit so I'm covered in NC. I know I can open carry or conceal carry in NC with my permits. I know I can't open carry or conceal carry in any place that serves alcohol (this sucks). I know if I get pulled over the NC law states that I have to inform the officer that I have a weapon in the car. Do I have to have my firearm in plain site in my car or can I secure it in my glove box? Can I have my firearm in my car at a college sporting event? Is there anything else that I need to know as a responsible firearms owner? Thanks in advance.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyBlk45 View Post
    Hello gents, I'm traveling to NC from GA for the holidays and I need to confirm some information regarding firearm laws in the state of NC. I have a GA, UTAH, PA, and FL, firearm permit so I'm covered in NC. I know I can open carry or conceal carry in NC with my permits. I know I can't open carry or conceal carry in any place that serves alcohol (this sucks). I know if I get pulled over the NC law states that I have to inform the officer that I have a weapon in the car. Do I have to have my firearm in plain site in my car or can I secure it in my glove box? Can I have my firearm in my car at a college sporting event? Is there anything else that I need to know as a responsible firearms owner? Thanks in advance.
    If you know you're permit is good for NC than it can be in the glove box either loaded or not, NC doesn't differentiate between loaded and unloaded when it comes to concealed. If ever involved with talking with LEOs you have to inform that you are carrying concealed if you happen to be, as well as show them your permit. That rule applies for most encounters that are more than a simple passing by. If they address you directly you have to disclose.

As far as the college sporting event goes, nothing in the state statutes prevents it from being in your car that I know of, unless the laws against carrying at school events apply but I think those apply to state run schools (most of the laws deal with high school and below). Most colleges will have their own rules and regs against carrying though. and if caught you might be charged with trespassing or some BS charge like that. You might want to check out the school you are going to on the web first to see if they ban guns- most if not all of them do though.

There is a restriction against carrying anywhere that a fee has been charged so taking it inside is probably not legal but I'm not sure that applies to parking lots at those events.

You can also check out the pamphlet at the top of the NC forums here to see other rules and regs. It's pretty OC/ CC friendly here in NC but there are some shadowy areas as well. One note will depend on what town you are going to as Cary and Chapel Hill have some funky laws within town limits.
    Last edited by rotorhead; 11-13-2010 at 08:15 PM.

In the car it can be open, glove box, or worn since you have a CCP.

No go at the college game. No carry at all on educational property, any property. The only way to stay legal would be to park off campus and walk onto campus.

Here is a good site for NC CC laws. YOu might want to cut and past the important stuff and bring it with you. Some of these are different from GA and easy to forget.

http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

awsome answers all!!

As far as 'in the glovebox', why would you??

Tough to tell the baggy jeans hoodie dude that sticks a gun in your face -waitaminute- while I retrieve my only self defense....('jes sayin' ).

Good luck on your travels!

Thanks everyone for the information.. I'm going to be staying in Greensboro, NC is that a OC/CC friendly place?

I've only OCd there a little, and have had no problems.

Looking at http://www.friendorfoe.us it looks like some restaurants have issues. At least there's someone else active there.
    "They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band
    It ain't what they call rock and roll
    And the Sultans...
    Yeah the Sultans, they play Creole"

OCDO Member
    NCGO Member