• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Encased, and in a pocket...Concealed or not?

Motofixxer

So let's say your out doing your business while OC'ing. You get a phone call from friends to meet at a prohibited place. So you unload and place your firearm in a sock or small padded case inside a jacket pocket, pants pocket etc. Would that be interpreted as concealed, or carrying in a prohibited place??? I would say no but what do you think?
Or what about carrying in a prohibited place with a firearm in a sock case, in a larger holster to accommodate the extra size?

Last edited:

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Concealed? I say no because it's not immediately accessible. As far as "prohibited place" it depends upon the place. An unloaded and encased firearm is prohibited in a govt. building just as much as an loaded and non-cased gun.

smithman

As long as the "case" is designed for a firearm, then you are good to go. You could buy a sock for a long gun, then cut it down. It is still designed for a firearm. And NO part of the handgun can be showing at all. Also, there must be some way to fasten it as I read the law. You could sew on some velcro to satisfy that.

(b) "Encased" means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
As long as the "case" is designed for a firearm, then you are good to go. You could buy a sock for a long gun, then cut it down. It is still designed for a firearm. And NO part of the handgun can be showing at all. Also, there must be some way to fasten it as I read the law. You could sew on some velcro to satisfy that.

(b) "Encased" means enclosed in a case that is expressly made for the purpose of containing a firearm and that is completely zipped, snapped, buckled, tied or otherwise fastened with no part of the firearm exposed.

Velcro? That's fancy! Maybe just tie a string around the end.

Passive101

I have a Ruger LCP that came with a zipper case. The gun in the gun case will easily fit in my pants pocket.

Would this be legal to carry in this manor if it is unloaded and the magazine is in another pocket?

This is a definite tag for more info!

Mlutz

I have a Ruger LCP that came with a zipper case. The gun in the gun case will easily fit in my pants pocket.

Would this be legal to carry in this manor if it is unloaded and the magazine is in another pocket?

This is a definite tag for more info!

Who cares where the mag is? (So long as it is not IN the gun.)

Mlutz

Why care if the mag is in the gun if you're not in a vehicle, state park or school zone? Nothing says an encased gun has to be unloaded in every circumstance.

I did a bit of reading in my stat. book, I'll do some more. Unless "D.H" shows up. (I hope he does. :) )

Mlutz

So let's say your out doing your business while OC'ing. You get a phone call from friends to meet at a prohibited place. So you unload and place your firearm in a sock or small padded case inside a jacket pocket, pants pocket etc. Would that be interpreted as concealed, or carrying in a prohibited place??? I would say no but what do you think?
Or what about carrying in a prohibited place with a firearm in a sock case, in a larger holster to accommodate the extra size?

I guess I would want to know in what prohibited place you are meeting. That might help. :)

Last edited:

Mlutz

Why care if the mag is in the gun if you're not in a vehicle, state park or school zone? Nothing says an encased gun has to be unloaded in every circumstance.

He asked about carrying in his pocket, loaded would make it a concealed weapon.

JJC

Loaded or unloaded. In a pocket would be concealed.

As for the prohibited place. Some DA would just love to tack on another charge. (Except perhaps DA Fox)

JMHO

JJC

Mike

Site Co-Founder
The elements for a violation of s. 941.23 are: 1) a dangerous weapon is on the defendant’s person or within reach; 2) the defendant is aware of the weapon’s presence; and 3) the weapon is hidden. State v. Keith, 175 Wis. 2d 75, 498 N.W.2d 865 (Ct. App. 1993).

Right, that's the black letter law, and carrying an encased hidden gun is unlawful in Wisconsin - and moreover, the person would be further guilty of possessing the gun in the prohibite place.

What is with so many Wiscosin posters thinking ther is some pony at the bottom of the Section 941.23 manure pile?

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Right, that's the black letter law, and carrying an encased hidden gun is unlawful in Wisconsin - and moreover, the person would be further guilty of possessing the gun in the prohibite place.

What is with so many Wiscosin posters thinking ther is some pony at the bottom of the Section 941.23 manure pile?
There is a snake-oil salesman here selling just that.

Search in the WI subforum on the term "unenforceable" and see who uses it and in what context. A circuit court judge wrote an opinion that it is unconstitutional in light of the recent SCOTUS decisions and the salesman would have that overturn all of Wisconsin gun law - the manure pile, revealing his magic pony.

JUST carry

Last edited:

Big Dipper

Perhaps it's because we all do it so often and see others doing it.

From the house to the car in a case (hidden).

From the car to the gun range in a case (hidden).

From the car to the boat to go waterfowl hunting in a case (hidden).

Motofixxer

I stated prohibited place to be general, to stimulate conversation on the whole topic. There was no particular place I had in mind. But I was thinking about hypothetical situations that could come up.
So to avoid the concealed violation one would have to have it open and visible, like in a sock case, in hand or in a holster large enough to hold extra size of firearm and sock case. For example in a school zone, one would be legally transporting? Or in your vehicle, also? It's openly visible not hidden. But is encased and unloaded.

Last edited:
M

McX

someone simply has to say it; just horsing around ofcourse, is that a gun in your pocket or are you glad to see me?

glad to see you back poking around motofixxer.

Doug Huffman

Banned
A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA

What is the defenition of hidden?

Doug Huffman

Banned
A handgun on the seat of a car that was indiscernible from ordinary observation by a person outside, and within the immediate vicinity, of the vehicle was hidden from view for purposes of determining whether the gun was a concealed weapon under this section. State v. Walls, 190 Wis. 2d 65, 526 N.W.2d 765 (Ct. App. 1994).
Y'all can ride the painted pony as far as you want on the road paved with hypotheticals.

http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric....-sweat-tears/4c9706c48c2ceb8a48256dc7002e11b1

Last edited: