• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Citizen Suggestions for Governor Elect Walker

protias

done

Have police agencies arrest criminals, not harass law abiding citizens who open carry. Citizens have also gone way too long to be able to protect themselves. We should be able to protect ourselves where and when we please. Criminals don't care about the law, hence why they are called criminals. We do not need a larger bureaucracy in having a conceal permit system. That will add thousands of employees to the government, something Wisconsin cannot afford to do. A simple repeal of 941.23, 167.31, 948.605, 948.61, 941.235, 941.237, and 29.089, will be a good step forward in protecting WI residents from criminals.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Repeal § 941.23 Carrying concealed weapon prohibition.

Repeal of § 941.23 requires no significant expense because it uses existing legislative and bureaucratic resources. The jurisprudential and legal foundations are in place.

Democratic consensus is leadership failed. Repudiate special interests.

Doug Huffman
Washington Island
Wisconsin

LOERetired

He’s asking, so let him know.

http://www.transition.wi.gov/stateemployee_suggestion.asp?locid=177

Idea #1: Have law enforcement chasing and catching bad guys and not harassing law abiding citizens.

Done...I wrote

I know this has nothing to do with making government more effecient other than not having to spend money on enforcing governmnet enacted regulations for concealed carry. Having Constitutional concealed carry in Wisconsin would be less expensive for Wisconsin to adopt.

The people of Wisconsin demand that Wisconsin Statute 941.23 be repealed as it is unconstitutional on its face and in violation of Article I, Section 25 of the Wisconsin Constitution and the Second and Fourteenth Amendments of the United States Constitution as was decided in the United States Supreme Court decisions in District of Columbia v. Heller, 128 S. Ct. 2783 (2008), McDonald v. City of Chicago No. 08-1521 (U.S. June 28, 2010, and most recently in Wisconsin under State v. Donald L. Schultz, 2010 WI App 124 Jon M. Counsell Circuit Court Judge presiding for Clark County.

The people of Wisconsin demand their constitutional right to keep and bear arms which is a fundamental right, not created by the Second Amendment, but secured or recognized by it. The right to keep and bear arms is therefore not to be abridged by any State law. Wisconsin Statute 941.23 must be repealed under the application of the Fourteenth Amendment. Therefore, the people of Wisconsin demand the right to keep and bear arms for self defense and protection, weather open or consealed and to enjoy that right without imposing any governmental restrictions in doing so.

paul@paul-fisher.com

This is a customization of what I sent my other elected officials:

I voted for you, Governor Walker.

I am writing you to urge you to do a few things that will enhance our gun rights in a money saving way.

1. Repeal 941.23, the concealed carry law. This particular law was passed in the 1800's and has been shown to be in violation of Wisconsin's Article 1, Section 25 of the Constitution, which was passed in 1998. There have been several recent rulings to support this. Judge Jon Counsel, the Circuit Judge in Clark County has ruled it unconstitutional. District Attorney Fox has issued a memo declaring it is unenforceable in Jackson County. http://www.wisconsinappeals.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/Schultz1.pdf http://www.co.jackson.wi.us/html/district attorney/Documents/McDonald vs. City of Chicago.pdf
2. Repeal 167.31, vehicle carry of a loaded firearm.
3. Repeal 941.235, firearms in public buildings
4. Repeal 941.237, firearms where alcoholic beverages are sold for consumption
5. Repeal 941.24, prohibition of switch blades.

Items 2-5 have been deemed unconstitutional in the Jackson County DA's memo outlined above.

In addition, the Wisconsin Republican platform was changed this year to support unlicensed open and concealed carry.

Also, the tsunami that is the Republican takeover is because we the people are tired of being taxed and regulated to death. To implement a licensed concealed carry system would require additional hiring both at the state and county level for administration as well as fees.

AK, AZ and VT have no licensing and training requirement for both open and concealed carry and there has not been any issues. UT is considering doing this in 2011 as well

Please get the Legislative Resource Board working on implementing these changes.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Good.

The general problem here, OCDO, is that there are no 'do overs' in legislation. So sorry, ah so desu ka, ain't good enough for prime time.

Like South Carolina suffers the CWP that was the best that they could do fourteen years ago and that Tar Baby is still stuck to them. Oh, throw us in that briar patch!

swfaninwi

Something like 50% of the registered voters voted a few weeks ago. If you voted for Gov elect Walker, that’s great, but the job is not over with. Regardless whether you voted, send him your ideas via the website or an e-mail or letter. It doesn’t have to be perfect. Participate! :idea:
The above suggestions are excellent ideas! :banana:

Done - “A police officer and a legally armed citizen have two things in common. They are both obeying the law and protecting themselves and others. In the case of the legally armed citizen, they are also exercising their Constitutional rights. Targeting these citizens wastes resources that should be spent by law enforcement on the illegal activities. A statement/requirement from the Governor’s office that would require law enforcement to refocus their efforts would be the wisest use of their resources.”

Motofixxer

As an example for anyone to use, I sent this email to my representatives and Mr Walker. I believe it follows that thin line of making a clear, intelligent and definitive point without sounding too complicated or wordy.

My elected Public Servant,

I'm a resident in your district, and I'm writing you to inform you of my personal position, opinions and expectations regarding our states legislation, as well as many of the people I know.
Right now one can lawfully Open-Carry a firearm in Wisconsin with NO permit and NO registration, etc. Thousand's of people open carry every day in Wisconsin. There has been no blood in the streets, or wild west shootings as anti-gun supporters have said. Vermont, Alaska, and Arizona have adopted the Constitutional Carry across their states. Essentially in those states there is the choice of how they want to carry a firearm without regulations. Meaning, our Creator has given us the Ability, Right and Responsibility to protect ourselves with any means necessary. Numerous court opinions across the country have affirmed the Police have NO Duty to protect us, and can't be present at all times. The US Constitution also specifically identifies and protects the Right to carry, under the Second Amendment. The WI Constitution also upholds that Right in Article I, §25. That was ratified by a 76% approving vote. Clearly the voting public agrees with me. The right to carry a firearm is inalienable, and can't be taken away by man. Any infringement on that Right is Unconstitutional plain and simple. I'm an adult and don't need permission, or to pay a tax on a right by way of a permit system. I also disagree with any mandatory training. I encourage any training or education but strongly disagree with the mandating of it. It creates a larger govt complication and bureaucracy to create, maintain and manage it when WI is already in a fiscal crisis. We don't have the manpower, budget, or need for that type of system. As well as the mandatory training will, as always create a required instruction driving up the cost of the said instruction for profit, making it unobtainable to many people. I personally have handled firearms for 21 yrs. I have never harmed myself or anyone with one, I have never threatened anyone, or shot anyone, robbed a bank, or used them in any negative manner. I'm a competent intelligent human being able to govern myself. If a man uses a firearm to hurt another, then they should be punished accordingly. But not simply for the possession of any weapon, until the unlawful act happens. Not every person possessing a weapon will use it. It's a proven fact that most guns carried, rarely even get used. Thousand's of Officer's across the country have retired, never having removed their gun from it's holster. It's a deterrence and personal safety insurance to carry a firearm or any weapon. Just like normal people buy home insurance, have fire extinguishers, fire detectors, and carbon monoxide detectors. The criminal element exists all around us regardless of the laws for the law abiding. People deserve the choice to carry how, when, and what they want to carry. Firearm and weapon bans have been proven to be ineffective in reducing or eliminating crime. Just look at the statistics for Washington DC, Chicago, New York etc.
Constitution Carry would require no fee's, no mandatory government training, no fingerprinting, no new bureaucracy, no waiting months for your permit and no future renewal requirements where you have to go through and pay all that again. Wisconsin Statute 941.23 is the conceal carry ban. If that 130+ year old statute was simply repealed, Wisconsin would become a Constitution Carry state and would be back in line with the freedoms our country was founded on.
Wisconsin also needs to repeal 167.31 which would allow us law abiding citizens to carry in our vehicles (currently you have to unload and encase your weapon when you get in your car) This causes extra unnecessary handling of a firearm. I believe it's also more intimidating, frightening and confusing for individuals seeing the loading and unloading in a parking lot etc.

You have, or will take an Oath to uphold the Constitutions and to be a Public Servant. I call you to stand up and uphold your oath and to work for the people who voted you into office. Put aside your personal opinions and bias' and listen to the people you chose to represent. We need to Repeal 941.23 and 167.31 and stop labeling responsible law abiding citizens as criminals.

I would be more than happy to discuss these issues if you have any questions or comments about the issues. Feel free to contact me.

Thank you
Madison, WI