• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Print your own targets (link to do so)

eye95

Great idea in a pinch!

However, the cost of printing at home is still higher than the cost of buying targets at Wal-Mart.

Plus, there is the fun to be had, standing in line at the checkout, carrying the silhouettes, while wearing both a gun and an evil grin, as the gramma behind you in line fidgets nervously. :uhoh:

Steve9MMinMO

Great idea in a pinch!

However, the cost of printing at home is still higher than the cost of buying targets at Wal-Mart.

Plus, there is the fun to be had, standing in line at the checkout, carrying the silhouettes, while wearing both a gun and an evil grin, as the gramma behind you in line fidgets nervously. :uhoh:

Add in the fun of buying all of the ammo in your caliber of choice so the cashier is nervous too... :) I wipe out my Wal-Mart every time I go in, they never have more than 4-5 boxes of 9mm around at one time.

since9

Campaign Veteran
What was your boss' telephone number again? :uhoh:

;)

Lol, but it sounds like he works from home, as do I. A printed sheet of paper costs me $0.05, so I can print 20 targets for a buck.

The link is great, and I dowloaded about 15 designs I think my son will like when we go shooting next week. I'll let him pick his own! That should pique his interest (although he thoroughly enjoys shooting).

Darkshadow62988

Activist Member
Sweet! I'm a college student, so I have a bunch of printing credits that I didn't use yet this semester. They are soon going to disappear.

eye95

Lol, but it sounds like he works from home, as do I. A printed sheet of paper costs me $0.05, so I can print 20 targets for a buck.

The link is great, and I dowloaded about 15 designs I think my son will like when we go shooting next week. I'll let him pick his own! That should pique his interest (although he thoroughly enjoys shooting).

It's the ink, not the paper that really costs. Off-the-shelf targets a lot bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 cost less than a nickel each.

cbpeck

I actually have several offices. I won't run a bunch of targets from my corporate printer - its unethical. Besides, my shooting club sells the thick, competition targets at cost on the honor system. They're always waiting at the range at a better price than I can get anywhere else.

It seems to me that targets are one of the least significant expenses that come into the equation. By the time you've purchased guns, ammunition, eye & ear protection, everything else that goes in your range bag, oh - your range bag - and range time, the cost of a dozen paper targets seems pretty inconsequential. "Paper is cheap, ammo is expensive."

Dreamer

It's the ink, not the paper that really costs. Off-the-shelf targets a lot bigger than 8 1/2 x 11 cost less than a nickel each.

Having worked in the Graphic Design and Printing industry for nearly two decades, I can tell you that this is half-way right...

In the printing business, paper is generally considered to be a negligable (read: no impact on final price of job) cost for printing a job. So yeah, paper--to a printer--is essentially "free".

Ink, is only slightly more "expensive"--it's considered an "overhead cost" for the printing business. Stock, standard colors like black, blue, and red are purchased by the case by most printshops, and are always at-hand, so they are figured into costs like other "business consumables" like the coffee in the lunchroom, or the lightbulbs in the ceiling...

Where the VAST majority of cost comes from in a print job is creating the art (typesetting/graphic design/photo prep) and the actual time on the press. So it's essentially the technical expertise of designers, pre-press operators and pressmen that the majority of the cost in ANY print job comes from--whether it's 100 wedding invitations, 10,000 newspapers, or 1 million best seller novels...

Targets are a sort of oddball in the printing business. Since most targets are "oversized" (meaning bigger than 18"x24") printed on crappy paper, and manufactured in relatively small quantities, they are priced sort of high per unit, compared to other similar large-format print jobs like newspapers or wrapping paper.

And also, there are only a small handful of printers in the US that are equipped to print large (life-sized) silhouette targets, so they can pretty much charge what they want.

Hopefully I can get my BIG letterpress up and running in the next few months--then I can print anything I want up to 18"x24", and possibly larger if I get really creative with feeding the paper...

Last edited: