• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Drivers draw guns on each other during road rage incident in Bonney Lake

Bill Starks

State Researcher
http://www.seattlepi.com/sound/430119_sound107571138.html?source=rss

<snip>
The driver of the SUV said he began to fear for for his safety when the driver of the car got out of his vehicle and began walking toward the SUV, holding up traffic as he did.
At that time, the driver of the SUV pulled his semi-automatic pistol and loaded it. As the driver of the car approached, he was waving his arms and screaming and the driver of the SUV raised his pistol into view, though he did not point it at the other driver, according to the report.

amlevin

The driver o the SUV said he began to fear for for his safety and the driver of the car got out of his vehicle and began walking toward the SUV, holding up traffic as he did

Hmmm. I think I might have just driven off if someone who'd been hassling me got out of HIS car and was now on foot. Isn't that why we all leave some "escape room" when we stop at intersections, etc.? Rather than rolling down a window and engaging this driver he should have just gone about his business. It takes two to have an argument.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
You ignore if all possible, I completely agree, in some cases it is not possible.
Hwy 410 in this area is extremely busy as it carries more traffic then it is designed for, so just driving through a red light is not really an option as it would be highly likely traffic would not allow for it.

Being approached while in traffic by a person intentionally blocking traffic to get out and ranting and raving at you as they approached your window will have different effects on people as to size, strength, ability or even health and drawing your weapon with out pointing may not be such a bad idea to stop that threat, you will have to decide if you are able to defend your position on this.

Pulling into a parking lot and stopping would not be my preferred choice but calling 911 and trying to put some distance between the two would be a high priority, the town of Bonney Lake is small with a small police force with Buckley and Sumner just down the road from each other but traffic in that area is terrible and a response time would be extended in certain times of the day.

It is something to consider, no doubt.

devildoc5

You ignore if all possible, I completely agree, in some cases it is not possible.
Hwy 410 in this area is extremely busy as it carries more traffic then it is designed for, so just driving through a red light is not really an option as it would be highly likely traffic would not allow for it.

Being approached while in traffic by a person intentionally blocking traffic to get out and ranting and raving at you as they approached your window will have different effects on people as to size, strength, ability or even health and drawing your weapon with out pointing may not be such a bad idea to stop that threat, you will have to decide if you are able to defend your position on this.

Pulling into a parking lot and stopping would not be my preferred choice but calling 911 and trying to put some distance between the two would be a high priority, the town of Bonney Lake is small with a small police force with Buckley and Sumner just down the road from each other but traffic in that area is terrible and a response time would be extended in certain times of the day.

It is something to consider, no doubt.

I agree, however if you read the story the SUV driver "rolled his window down and asked the other driver 'what is your problem'" That could be construed as "asking for a fight" or "challenging someone" (especially in my neighborhood) I think it would have been best to just ignore this idiot in the first place. My personal belief is this "what's your problem" is what led to the escalation of the situation....

jt59

I agree, however if you read the story the SUV driver "rolled his window down and asked the other driver 'what is your problem'" That could be construed as "asking for a fight" or "challenging someone" (especially in my neighborhood) I think it would have been best to just ignore this idiot in the first place. My personal belief is this "what's your problem" is what led to the escalation of the situation....

A much simpler solution...

http://www.trunkmonkey.com/2005/01/18/trunk-monkey-1-road-rage-suburban-auto-group/

sudden valley gunner

I disagree. I hate this stupid land we live in were you are supposed to avoid all possible confrontations. I see no problem asking someone WTF their problem is.

amlevin

I disagree. I hate this stupid land we live in were you are supposed to avoid all possible confrontations. I see no problem asking someone WTF their problem is.

There is a difference between avoiding problems and looking for them. I find enough problems are unavoidable and I don't go seeking more. Every situation is unique but this one sounds like there were two people looking for a confrontation.

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
There is a difference between avoiding problems and looking for them. I find enough problems are unavoidable and I don't go seeking more. Every situation is unique but this one sounds like there were two people looking for a confrontation.

Agreed with your assessment on this and would add if one goes inviting trouble there will be someone that will accommodate you.

Beretta92FSLady

I am keenly aware of such questions. When I had an incident I had plenty of people asking why I spoke up when someone was harassing and intimidating my family and me.

Bunch a F-ing cowards as far as I am concerned, people who say that you should avoid a situation at any cost...yea, perpetuate what's already been established as the social norm, let the criminals be criminals and harass you as much as they like without any legitimate, justifiable response from the law-abiding citizen minding their own business.

ManInBlack

I thought that this was a pretty good point, made by one of the commenters:

Posted by The Gipper at 11/14/2010 10:32 p.m.
Any police officer would have shoot the other driver as soon as the gun was in view. Just as soon as a weapon was displayed, police would shoot that party. I think we have seen more restraint here than any police officer would have shown.
Report violation

OrangeIsTrouble

bunch a f-ing cowards as far as i am concerned, people who say that you should avoid a situation at any cost...yea, perpetuate what's already been established as the social norm, let the criminals be criminals and harass you as much as they like without any legitimate, justifiable response from the law-abiding citizen minding their own business.

ding ding ding ding ding ding!!!!!!!!!!!

devildoc5

So you are going to cruise up along side someone who is OBVIOUSLY already displaying hostility, roll your window down and CHALLENGE them? That appears to be directly LOOKING to get into a confrontation to me.

Does this mean that if someone looks at you funny you should "swagger up" to them hand on your hip and say "you muthafuc4a what the hell is your problem?" Come on it is the same type of thing here, just let the idiots be idiots...

BigDave

Opt-Out Members
I am keenly aware of such questions. When I had an incident I had plenty of people asking why I spoke up when someone was harassing and intimidating my family and me.

Bunch a F-ing cowards as far as I am concerned, people who say that you should avoid a situation at any cost...yea, perpetuate what's already been established as the social norm, let the criminals be criminals and harass you as much as they like without any legitimate, justifiable response from the law-abiding citizen minding their own business.

Two totally different situations from what was being addressed here.

Last edited:

SFCRetired

1. Other driver yelling and screaming? Ignore, but be aware of what he/she is doing. Remember the old line, "Sticks and stones may break my bones"?

2. Other driver blocks me in, exits his/her vehicle and starts walking toward me, gesturing and screaming, especially screaming threats? If I cannot reverse out of the situation, I will then draw and keep the weapon out of sight. At this point, I should have called 911 and reported the other driver w/tag number, vehicle description, and driver description.

3. Other driver continues toward me and reaches the front of my vehicle, at this point, I acquire and lock on the target as this person has demonstrated that they are a credible threat. Hopefully, other person will realize the error of their ways and retreat. If they do, I will report that fact to the 911 operator.

4. Worst case scenarios: Person retreats to their vehicle and retrieves a firearm. At that point, with them raising the firearm, I would fire. Person stops, but does not retreat: no viable threat. Person continues to approach past the front of my vehicle, still screaming and threatening: tough call, but firing is a distinct possibility.

In reading this, bear in mind that I am a senior citizen and not in the best of health. A younger man or even a younger, determined woman (much as I hate to admit it) could do a lot of damage to me.

Beretta92FSLady

Two totally different situations from what was being addressed here.

Apples and oranges, yes, but they both grow from trees. Cornering a person in their car, especially when they have made it clear they have a shotgun (not sure if they just shown a round or the shotgun itself)...if your car can't get out safely, personally, I think the person should exit the car and take cover.

Similar in that you have some POS hell-bent on engaging you in a hostile manner. If a guy blocks me from leaving, gets into the back of his car and pulls a shotgun...I would be really considering the exit the vehicle option if I were alone.

Asking someone WTF their problem is is not starting a fight...sometimes people need to be made aware that they are being uncivil. I realize that all of us are responding to a situation that was read(e) from the paper...hard to say what we all would do in the moment though, right?

I wonder though, if a person blocks you, gets out of their vehicle with a shotgun, can you legally run their a$$ over trying to get away?...I would think that you could.

Last edited:

Beretta92FSLady

In reading this, bear in mind that I am a senior citizen and not in the best of health. A younger man or even a younger, determined woman (much as I hate to admit it) could do a lot of damage to me.

I am 32, take my vitamins everyday, try to take care of myself, but I have severe allergies, and in the summer time especially, my response to a threat is much different than when I am well enough to possibly put up a fight. During the winter I could run 5+ miles a day, but in the summer, there are times I can barely run up the stairs, breathing gets a bit difficult.