• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Places to shoot in and around Huntsville

Ingsoc75

I'm having a hard time finding a place to shoot. I have an AK74 rifle that I enjoy plinking with.

It seems that everyplace I look at either allows only pistols and small calibre centerfire rifles (Like Larry's Gun and Pawn), requires an AL hunter's permit (like Swan Creek), or gun clubs that requires one to be an NRA member as a condition of club membership.

If anybody knows of anywhere else, please let me know. My AK74 has laying idle since I moved down here 3 months ago. :D

Kirbinator

Most gun clubs are forcing the membership to be members of the NRA because the NRA gives them a break on the insurance if all gun club members are a member of the NRA.

I suppose it's more a question of economics; is it cheaper to have the insurance and have a percentage of the membership not in the NRA? Or is it cheaper to have the insurance, pay the full price, and not be members of the NRA?

The position of the NRA on various issues in various areas is a different thread altogether.

The Wildlife Management Areas are few areas that don't require NRA membership, but do require hunting licenses for some reason or another. :cuss::banghead:
There is Swan Creek, Skyline, and so on.

Daylen

Swan creek is where I go. I think its $10 for the cheapest license that has range privileges. Someone has to pay for upkeep of the range and building it in the first place.

Ingsoc75

I haven't gone to Swan Creek because I still have an out of state driver's license and the price of non-resident permit is $$$. I guess it's time to get an AL driver's license.

BTW - Is it true that once hunting season starts, the ranges at Swan Creek are closed?

Daylen

no it is not true. The target range is closed for duck season. Nov 26-27, Dec 4-Jan 30.
You should check it yourself though on the Swan creek WMA map.

AL Ranger

Try Alabama Open Carry for more info!

Get with some of the Alabama Open Carry members and we can take you out to Swan Creek for some shooting. I'll have to check what the laws are for out-of-staters (using your current drivers license) but you should have no problems. Swan Creek is probably your cheapest bet although many of our shooters don't care for that particular range because of some "stupid" shooters that show up from time-to-time. Stop by our site for more info and lots of good conversation!

Ingsoc75

Thanks for the link Eye95 and AL Ranger. I'm planning on getting my AL license this week (tried to last Friday but it was packed).

Vondelta

Ingsoc75

If you are looking for a place to plink with no hassles about a hunting permit, just give me a buzz vondelta@yahoo.com. I shoot at my house and would be happy to have another to shoot with. No neighbors to complain etc. I have invited the open carry group in Huntsville, but have not been taken up on the offer.

AL Ranger

Shooting Offer

Vondelta, get with me over at Alabama Open Carry and we'll talk about your shooting invitation. Thanks for submitting the invite. Let's make it happen!

Last edited:

AL Ranger

Glad to have you with us at Alabama Open Carry! We have our regular meeting on Saturday mornings at the ATL Bread Co. in Huntsville. Check it out on the site's calendar. I hope you can be there.