• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Required holster type?

WwRGSwW

I have a quick question. In the state of Michigan or in any OC State, is there a required type of holster. I have a Blackhawk Serpa CQC. This is a comfortable holster to me and I like how the gun sits in it. Is there any reason why I cant use that as my open carry holster?

The only reason I ask is because part of FL's laws defining what is "Secure" includes a strap w/ snap or velcro. I just did not know if OC carried the same rules. (I know FL does not permit OC)

Last edited:

JoeSparky

Centurion
My personal requirement for a holster is one that keeps the weapon secure until I am the one to remove it and is comfortable to wear. And it needs to cover the trigger and provide for retention just in case...

Again these are MY personal requirements. I've not seen a required holster type in any state laws. Some states laws will say something to the effect of a firearm in a hip holster IS NOT CONCEALED. This helps avoid a Concealment charge for one without a permit to conceal who elects TO OPEN CARRY. Officers in a very few states seem to think that a holstered firearm is concealed because it covers part of the gun or they can't see it from some directions- yet they don't seem to need to ask if you are carrying a firearm as they write the ticket for concealing.

Anyway, I got off on a tangent. I will step down off my soap box for now!

Last edited:

Dreamer

we can't OC in MD, VA has no requirement.

Not entirely true...

You can OC on your own private property in MD without any permit. I do it all the time, because we own a Condo in MD, and whenever I go up to visit my daughters and stay in the Condo, I carry (sometimes OC, someties CC) the entire time I'm in the house...

You can legally OC in public in almost ALL the counties and cities of MD (with the exception of the 4 "urban" counties) if you have a Maryland Permit to Carry A Handgun. The MD Statutes that define the limitations of a MD PCH do NOT specify or require that your handgun be carried concealed. However the 4 "urban" counties, and most of their included municipalities have codes that prohibit "public display of a firearm" even if you have a permit...

However, MD does not recognize ANY of the permits issued by ANY other state or territory of the US, and in some municipalities, they don't even recognize LEOSA or FOPA as a matter of practice. So seeing as you are a PA resident, there is simply NO legal way for you to carry in MD anyway, unless you are a cop (and even then, in some counties you will get hassled), or you are a MAJOR political contributor to Gov. O'Malley and can get him to "grease the skids" for you with MSP.

However, let's say you DO have a MD PCH, and you are in a county or city that does NOT prohibit "public display of a firearm". MD statute DOES define holster requirements for transport, if it's not concealed. If you are transporting or carrying a firear in a holster in MD, under MD Statute, it MUST be in a "fully enclosed holster". A Serpa doesn't meet that requirement. In fact, about the ONLY holster that DOES fit the MD requirement is an old WWII military-style flap holster.

The best way to avoid problems involving carry or transport in MD is simply to AVOID MARYLAND if you can. Spend your money and time elsewhere--there are plenty of states in the region (most of them, in fact) that RESPECT and HONOR your RKBA...

And to address the OP, I have both a NC CHP and a PA LTCF, and neither of these states have ANY statutory requirements for holsters (neither do WV, VA, OH, or any of the other OC-friendly states that I know of). I have OC'd a Glock and a 1911 in Serpa holsters in PA, and it has never been an issue...

Carry on, and be proud that you live in a state like PA where (for the most part--except in Philly) they respect and honor your RKBA.

Last edited:

cmdr_iceman71

The Michigan attorney general opinion defined OCing as: "a holstered pistol in plain view" she made no mention of a required type of holster or any required level of retention. However, I would advise some level of retention, at a minimum, a thumb strap or some discreet button or lever that must be pushed to release the handgun.

StogieC

Campaign Veteran
The only reason I ask is because part of FL's laws defining what is "Secure" includes a strap w/ snap or velcro. I just did not know if OC carried the same rules. (I know FL does not permit OC)

FL has NO such requirement. You have been horribly misinformed. You are reading too much in to the "securely encased" definition from 790.001

Last edited: