• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Madison Public Safety Municipal Code

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
Municipal home rule from Wisconsin Constitution

Wisconsin Constitution Article XI Section 3 Municipal home rule; debt limit; tax to pay debt.
(1) Cities and villages organized pursuant to state law may determine their local affairs and government,
subject only to this constitution and to such enactmentsof the legislature of statewide concern as with uniformity shall affect every city or every village. The method of such determination shall be prescribed by the legislature.
MGO Editor said:
[Editor’s Note: Wis. Stat. § 66.0409 limits the power of Wisconsin municipalities to enforce certain restrictions on firearms sale, ownership and use. Because of this state statute, several sections of this chapter –Sec. 25.01(2) and (12), Sec. 25.02, and Sec. 25.025, MGO, to the extent it regulates semiautomatic weapons – likely are
unenforceable by the City of Madison.]

Last edited:

littlewolf

For some head shaking, click on and read Madison's "Offenses Against Public Safety." A large part of it is truly offensive.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=50000&stateId=49&stateName=Wisconsin

They state that some of the ordinances are likely unenforceable, but they keep them on the books. What a nutty city government.

I just glanced through it and said UHHH 7 day wait, mandatory trigger locks, report all sales to local PD Chief, no short barrel handguns ?
Humor at best. I read some where you could legally shoot Indians if there were more than 5 in a group because it constituted a war party. Won't fly like these ordinances.

davegran

Cassville Area -Twelve Miles From Anything, Wiscon
You may be open carrying illegally in Madison....

Here's an interesting ordinance for those of us who carry special defensive rounds instead of ball ammo:

25.035 BARBED BULLETS PROHIBITED.
(1) It shall be unlawful for a person to own or to have in her/his possession any barbed bullet in the City of Madison except as hereinafter provided. All barbed bullets possessed in violation of this section and all firearms possessed or used in connection therewith are unlawful property and shall be seized by any peace officer. Upon conviction of the person for a violation of this section, all such property shall be disposed of pursuant to Sec. 968.20(3)(b) of the Wisconsin Statutes.
(2) Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Madison has long been aware that the bulk of their gun-related ordinances are unenforceable and I periodically have sent reminders of that fact over the years. Typically I get one or two city council members who will send me a response to the effect "Oh, that's interesting, we'll look at that." and then nothing more happens. Or they say they'll talk with the city attorney, which in this town is a dead-end street.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
Here's an interesting ordinance for those of us who carry special defensive rounds instead of ball ammo:

I don't think that was intended to prohibit all hollow point designs, but rather those infamous "Black Talon" and similar designs. But the ordinance itself speak volumes regarding the gullibility of the Madison City Council.

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
I don't think that was intended to prohibit all hollow point designs, but rather those infamous "Black Talon" and similar designs. But the ordinance itself speak volumes regarding the gullibility of the Madison City Council.

The ordinance states that any projectile which expands on impact to a diameter larger than that of the bore of the firearm it was fired from. So this would make any bullet prohibited.

I am surprised Wray has not tried to cite the Madistan 5 for that little nugget too?

paul@paul-fisher.com

The ordinance states that any projectile which expands on impact to a diameter larger than that of the bore of the firearm it was fired from. So this would make any bullet prohibited.

I am surprised Wray has not tried to cite the Madistan 5 for that little nugget too?

They didn't see my bullets. I believe they unloaded Springfield1911 weapon and actually removed the cartridges from the magazine. Not sure what they did with MotoFixxer's weapon.

M

McX

boys, i'm still trying to get a real definition in my mind of what totality of circumstances means. must be some new leftist yuppie crap, aint in the books yet.

added on edit; yeah, they lift some guys buletts, but left me be, figure that one out. guess some had more threatening totality of circumstances than others huh?

Last edited:

LR Yote 312

I guess I better check into Cudahy's codes....I thought for sure
the officer that picked up the ejected round (Win SXT variant) when my weapon was cleared
was gonna fill his pants.
He turned a funny shade of green like he wasnt sure wich end it was comin out of.

LR Yote

Last edited:

Krusty

If I read this mass of confusion correctly...

(2) Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet.

After I fire a bullet, hollow point or soft point, nothing is EVENLY SPACED

The ballistic knowledge of the people dreaming up this BS is "incredible"!

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.

Where did you pull that from? The ordinance says:

"Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet."

Nutczak

The Northwoods, lakeland area, Wisconsin, USA
similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bulet

Where did you pull that from? The ordinance says:

"Barbed Bullet means any bullet that is designed to expand upon impact resulting in the bullet having evenly-spaced, pointed sharp hook or barb-shaped or other similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet."

"similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet"
So basically any bullet that is not FMJ is the way I would interpret that line. And I would expect a prosecutor who is on the warpath looking for anything and everything to throw at the accused would use it the same way.

Shotgun

Wisconsin Carry, Inc.
"similar projections that extend beyond the original diameter of the unfired bullet"
So basically any bullet that is not FMJ is the way I would interpret that line. And I would expect a prosecutor who is on the warpath looking for anything and everything to throw at the accused would use it the same way.

Not all hollow points have sharp petals like the Black Talon. If they meant all hollow points they could have simply said "hollow points." I don't worry about prosecutors on warpaths. I'd worry more about judges on a warpath!

But the issue is moot since it's just one of many unenforceable Madison ordinances.

Brass Magnet

Founder's Club Member
I'd worry more about judges on a warpath!
Yup! That's who will decide the legislative intent.

But the issue is moot since it's just one of many unenforceable Madison ordinances.

Local regulation of firearms.
(1) In this section:
(a) “Firearm” has the meaning given in s. 167.31 (1) (c).
(b) “Political subdivision” means a city, village, town or
county.
(c) “Sport shooting range” means an area designed and oper-
ated for the practice of weapons used in hunting, skeet shooting
and similar sport shooting.
(2) Except as provided in subs. (3) and (4), no political subdi-
vision may enact an ordinance or adopt a resolution that regulates
the sale, purchase, purchase delay, transfer, ownership, use, keep-
ing, possession, bearing, transportation, licensing, permitting,
registration or taxation of any firearm or part of a firearm, includ-
ing ammunition
and reloader components, unless the ordinance or