• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Here is the final draft for my legislature letter.

bigdaddy1

I havent sent it yet, let me know if there are any suggestions before. I wanted to keep it somewhat short, as to not loose his/her attention but keep all the points I wanted to state.

Dear Senator Carpenter,

I am writing to you regarding my right of self protection, the second amendment of the United States and our own state Constitution. The right to keep and bear arms was so important to our forefathers they chose to make it second only to the right to our freedom of speech. For many years government has been restricting this right more and more, making it nearly impossible for the average citizen to exercise this guaranteed right. It is my understanding that you and other Wisconsin Senate members are contemplating a concealed carry permit system for Wisconsin that would require special licensing and mandatory training. I do not agree with this action as no other right guaranteed by our Constitution requires any type of license or training. Making these requirements degrades this right to a privilege. Currently we are legally able to carry openly with out a license, registration or any mandated training, so to require licensing, registration and specialized training to do the same thing concealed would be plain wrong. The right to defend oneself should never become a privilege.

When criminals have greater rights than victims, there is a serious problem. A problem Wisconsin has. Wisconsin needs to enact a "castle doctrine" so the citizens of this state can defend themselves from violent criminals and not be penalized for it. The right of self protection is not limited to the household, and neither should our rights. I would hope as a representative of the people of Wisconsin it would be your intent to protect your constituents and their rights.

In closing, I would ask you to look toward states such as Vermont, Arizona and Alaska that currently have constitutional carry in place, and states like Utah and Texas are seriously contemplating this renewal of our guaranteed rights and are likely to approve this year. The right to keep and bear arms must be protected as our forefathers intended, not as our elected bureaucrats allow. It is equally important that we enact laws to reverse the trend of granting greater rights to criminals than the victims they prey upon. The right to protect oneself, family or property where ever that person may be should never be a question.

Sincerely,
Curt Evers
3rd District

oliverclotheshoff

You might want to add stand your ground which applies to anywhere you can legallly carry a firearm. Castle doctrine applies only to your home and property.

If i am wrong please someone correct me.

bigdaddy1

While I have already made some changes, the final sentance;
The right to protect oneself, family or property where ever that person may be should never be a question
Should cover that point.

Last edited: