Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner."

"A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner."

Sue Aitken called the police because she was worried about her son, Brian. She now lives with the guilt of knowing that her phone call is the reason Brian spent his 27th birthday in a New Jersey prison last month. If the state gets its way, he will be there for the next seven years.

Aitken was sentenced in August after he was convicted of felony possession of a handgun. Before his arrest, Aitken, an entrepreneur and owner of a media consulting business, had no criminal record, and it appears he made a good-faith effort to comply with New Jersey's stringent gun laws. Even the jurors who convicted him seem to have been looking for a reason to acquit him. But the judge gave them little choice. Aitken's best hope now is executive clemency. He is petitioning New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie for a reprieve this week.
    source - full article

A great example of poor gun laws and bad litigation. Hopefully his petition will do some good....
    If guns cause crime.....mine must be defective.

He has more than enough grounds for an appeal on judicial error. The judge is also guilty of misconduct (malfeasance) and he should follow up on that. It sounds like his attorney was incompetent. He should have been announcing "exception" after every one of this dick of a judge's exercise of complete ignorance.

Banned
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA

This is follow up to "Visiting NJ on a multi part journey."

Dunno how much good it will do, but here's contact info for the governor. I emailed through the website, saying that while firing the judge was a good start, Mr. Aitken should have been pardoned the next day after he was convicted and have his record expunged. (And a few other points, like he was entirely within the law, the judge refused to instruct the jury properly, etc.)

http://www.state.nj.us/governor/contact/
    Office of the Governor
    PO Box 001
    Trenton, NJ 08625
    609-292-6000

For the topic, I chose "law and public safety".

Boiling mad

We don't have to go over what happened here. A vicious anti-gun judge won the first round. I, too, will be e-mailing the Governor (I am a NJ Citizen.) I will join anyone anywhere anytime to start a group, club, whatever to undo this travesty, and that's just what it was. Let's keep in touch.

Glad i got the heck out of jersey, but how in gods name is this even legal and in any way in contention with 2a rights? It's ridiculous. I don't get how crap like this gets passed.

I'm from nj and I'm so glad I go thte heck out of that town. NJ sucks..... and so do the politicians/law makers.

o.O

I just heard about this from a friend via youtube... And, wow. Any major updates on the situation?
    Q: Do I need to have my permit with me when carrying my pistol in Minnesota?
    A: Yes, the permit holder must have the permit card and a valid driver’s license, state identification card, or other government-issued photo identification in immediate possession at all times when carrying a pistol and must display the permit card and identification document when requested by a peace officer.

Source: http://tiny.cc/Minnesota

I left Ft. Campbell in early 1991 enroute to Ft. Dix. I stopped by California to see my girlfriend and subsequently bought a rifle that I want delivered to a FFL dealer in NJ. The sporting goods guy called me two weeks later and told me that my rifle arrived and I could pick it it. I went down to retrieve my rifle with great anticipation. Before handing me my rifle the guy behind the counter asks for my "Rifle Card" (I think that what it was called at the time) to which I gave him a puzzled look. He went on to explain what it was and that I needed one. The next day I went down the state troopers right outside Ft Dix in Wrightstown. Thinking it was going to be an "in and out" process all told it took me 6 months to get the card. Wow...! In the interim I thought "Hey Ill just go and get a little .22 to shoot.." Wrong!!! I needed a "Rifle Card" for that as well.
    Your laws in Jersey suck a$$!!!!! Are those laws still in effect?

It's even made it on fox news today. One of the comments was how the Feds have a problem with each state make it's own immigration policy but has no problem with gun laws being this way.

I'm an ex-NJ resident. I'm pretty sure the governor will not pardon him and he will spend the next 7 years in prison. :-( It's ironic that it's much easier/faster to get an illegal gun in NJ than a legal one.

Quote Originally Posted by scarletwahoo View Post
    I'm an ex-NJ resident. I'm pretty sure the governor will not pardon him and he will spend the next 7 years in prison. :-( It's ironic that it's much easier/faster to get an illegal gun in NJ than a legal one.
    and my reason for saying this is when Christie was campaigning he stated that he "supports strict and aggressive enforcement of the state's current gun laws"

I looked up Brian's current address (& inmate #) & have been writing him. He seems to appreciate knowing that people out here know about him & are outraged by what happened. I suggest more of you drop him a note now & then, try to keep up his spirits.

Brian Aitken
    737585C/664864
    Mid State Correctional Facility
    POB 866
    Wrightstown, NJ
    Last edited by MKEgal; 12-05-2010 at 08:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I looked up Brian's current address (& inmate #) & have been writing him. He seems to appreciate knowing that people out here know about him & are outraged by what happened. I suggest more of you drop him a note now & then, try to keep up his spirits.

Care to post it?

Fox News has TAKEN UP this Issue:
    http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/12/02...s-experts-say/

Nation-wide Reciprocity Failed under Congress under The Thund Amendment by 2 Votes:
    http://thinkprogress.org/2009/07/22/thune-vote/

Moderator / Administrator Grapeshot's Avatar
    Gov Christy has commuted Brian's sentence to time served.

http://www.examiner.com/gun-rights-i...mment-13457641

IMO, he should have been pardoned with full restoration of his rights.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-20-2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: added
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

Old and treacherous will beat young and skilled every time. Yata hey.

Quote Originally Posted by scarletwahoo View Post
    I guess I am still technically correct, since he wasn't pardoned. Still a great ending. Freedom must be the best possible Christmas present he could have received.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapeshot View Post
    Gov Christy has commuted Brian's sentence to time served.
    IMO, he should have been pardoned with full restoration of his rights.
    I agree with you, but it's a good start. (Actually, I think the conviction should be voided, expunged, etc.)

The Gov. can always correct his oversight; the important thing is that Brian is (or will very shortly be) FREE.
    Quote Originally Posted by MLK, Jr
    The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort & convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge & controversy.
    Quote Originally Posted by MSG Laigaie
    Citizenship is a verb.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 27:12
    A prudent person foresees the danger ahead and takes precautions.
    The simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the consequences.
    Quote Originally Posted by Proverbs 31:17
    She dresses herself with strength and makes her arms strong.

Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    I agree with you, but it's a good start. (Actually, I think the conviction should be voided, expunged, etc.)

The Gov. can always correct his oversight; the important thing is that Brian is (or will very shortly be) FREE.
    I don't think it was an oversight - suspect it was very carefully thought out.

This way Christie doesn't address the issue of guilt, quiets the dissent, doesn't step on the toes of LE or the judiciary and can still say, "Look what I did." I was a political decision.

Would be very surprised if anymore was accomplished on this. Classic example of "freedom" without rights. Am I glad that he is home for Christmas? Of course and may he enjoy it. Hanging my head at the high price though.
    Last edited by Grapeshot; 12-21-2010 at 07:44 AM. Reason: fixed
    You will not rise to the occasion; you will fall back on your level of training.” Archilochus, 650 BC

CONVICTION OVERTURNED!!!

See thread in 'hot topics'.

Quote Originally Posted by Phssthpok View Post
    CONVICTION OVERTURNED!!!

See thread in 'hot topics'.
    Linked it for you.
    http://forum.opencarry.org/forums/sh...ion-Overturned!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Coded-Dude View Post
    source - full article

A great example of poor gun laws and bad litigation. Hopefully his petition will do some good....
    Judge gave them little choice? Its called jury nullification & its proper. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by fjpro2a View Post
    I, too, will be e-mailing the Governor (I am a NJ Citizen.)
    The police in New Jersey will set you up with a baggie or something. I met an Ex NJ cop in Vermont who laughed about all the people NJ Police "set up" if they don't like them!

Nj citizen here. Any follow up on this case? I can't find anything.

TIA

Banned

"A New Jersey man gets seven years for being a responsible gun owner."

I notice the lawyer mentioned in connection to this case is the same lawyer on speakerphone during the DYFS and police attempted raid due to a FB photo.

Good on Evan Nappen!

Not a NJian, but I'd put that guy on retainer and speed-dial if I were!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk.

<o>

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast