Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Oc and the laws

  1. #1
    Regular Member Beretta-m9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    usa
    Posts
    110

    Oc and the laws

    Hi everyone.
    I have been a hunter and around guns most of my life. I had only shot a pistol a few times until recently when I traded a rifle for a pistol. This lead me to wanting to carry so I studied up the laws and lingered on these forums until I felt comfortable enough to venture out into the world.
    So I have been oc'ing in my area for about 2 months now. The experience has been great and has taught me tons. I have carried in stores, gas stations, banks and just for walks around town and such. But as anyone who has actually spent time oc'ing knows you will find a few things you may not like.
    First I found myself unable to carry on the bike trail near me do to law restrictions Wisconsin Stat. 29.089. I have found myself handling my weapon far more then I would like because of the vehichle law restrictions Wisconsin Stat. 167.31. I have also found myself not carrying in far to many places because of gfsz restrictions Wisconsin Stat. 948.605. I have also found the state building laws restricting me when I'm at the library Wisconsin Stat. 941.235.
    I really did not consider the laws restrictive because I only hunted. Even though I knew the laws they simply just did not effect my way of life. Now that I have spent time oc'ing I understand how restrictive these laws are to people trying to be prepared in the case of an emergency. I am completely on board with WCI and what they are about.
    I know this is a long story but I hoped people would see that even though I am a hunter and have had guns around me all my life it really wasn't until I carried a gun in normal day life did I understand the restrictions on the laws I already knew.

    I am all for ccw but I think the others listed above are more important to the oc movement. Honestly I would rather be able to carry in my car then ccw, it would allow me to carry much more often, as would the others. The ccw only allows me to carry in those same place just hidden, not really as helpful in my ability to carry.

  2. #2
    McX
    Guest
    CC is ok in weather requiring heavy clothing, the fault becomes apparent, at least to me when i don my summer apparel; shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt. kinda hard not to pattern at the minimum, and i aint got time to dance that dance, i need my open carry, especially at the shop. i'm just not the type to wear jacket, to guarentee CC. others thoughts are welcome on this one.

  3. #3
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    9,193
    Quote Originally Posted by McX View Post
    CC is ok in weather requiring heavy clothing, the fault becomes apparent, at least to me when i don my summer apparel; shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt. kinda hard not to pattern at the minimum, and i aint got time to dance that dance, i need my open carry, especially at the shop. i'm just not the type to wear jacket, to guarentee CC. others thoughts are welcome on this one.
    "Brandishing" and "Patterning" are just other infringements that will be obviated by Constitutional Carry with repeal of 941.23.

    That said, I CCW'd from 1996 in coastal SC, in shorts and - oh, I don't know - a guayabera just fine. On my bicycle, just fine. At the beach, just fine.

    So, let's put thoughts of, or even mentioning, brandishing and patterning out of our minds. We got enough drama showing our divisions to the anti-gun lurkers. Think before you mash [Submit Reply], OK?

  4. #4
    Regular Member paul@paul-fisher.com's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Chandler, AZ
    Posts
    4,047
    Quote Originally Posted by doug huffman View Post
    think before you mash [submit reply], ok?
    lol!

  5. #5
    McX
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
    "Brandishing" and "Patterning" are just other infringements that will be obviated by Constitutional Carry with repeal of 941.23.

    That said, I CCW'd from 1996 in coastal SC, in shorts and - oh, I don't know - a guayabera just fine. On my bicycle, just fine. At the beach, just fine.

    So, let's put thoughts of, or even mentioning, brandishing and patterning out of our minds. We got enough drama showing our divisions to the anti-gun lurkers. Think before you mash [Submit Reply], OK?
    the Dougster hath spoken, and i am in agreement.

  6. #6
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    I ll be honest in saying when I first came across OC'ing I was really all for CC.
    So I spent some time OC'ing.
    Didnt take very long and I found I like the idea of it a bit more over CC and its permit based system where I would have to submit to the State requirements of registration to be able to use the 2A Rights I was born with.

    And wouldnt ya know it along comes Constitutional Carry....which makes the most sense to me yet.

    Having said that and a recent encounter with the Local PD, I feel there are some cities that still have a long way to go to accept the idea of OC by a LAC.
    Not all PD's are on the same page of others in this State and are friendly to OC'ers.

    Best advice or fair warning to somebody relatively new to OC'ing in Wi. I can offer is:

    Expect to be stopped,cuffed and questioned at some point in time or another.

    LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

  7. #7
    Regular Member MKEgal's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    in front of my computer, WI
    Posts
    4,426
    Quote Originally Posted by LR Yote 312 View Post
    Having said that and a recent encounter with the Local PD, I feel there are some cities that still have a long way to go to accept the idea of OC by a LAC.
    Not all PD's are on the same page of others in this State and are friendly to OC'ers.

    Best advice or fair warning to somebody relatively new to OC'ing in Wi. I can offer is:
    Expect to be stopped,cuffed and questioned at some point in time or another.
    Sounds like you had an Interesting Experience (TM). Care to share?

  8. #8
    Regular Member LR Yote 312's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    God's Country, Wi
    Posts
    458
    Quote Originally Posted by MKEgal View Post
    Sounds like you had an Interesting Experience (TM). Care to share?
    It was interesting...I will in time, but not just yet.

    LR Yote
    *NOTE: No Longer under the tyranny of Milwaukee County.


    Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    - Frank Outlaw

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •