• We are now running on a new, and hopefully much-improved, server. In addition we are also on new forum software. Any move entails a lot of technical details and I suspect we will encounter a few issues as the new server goes live. Please be patient with us. It will be worth it! :) Please help by posting all issues here.
  • The forum will be down for about an hour this weekend for maintenance. I apologize for the inconvenience.
  • If you are having trouble seeing the forum then you may need to clear your browser's DNS cache. Click here for instructions on how to do that
  • Please review the Forum Rules frequently as we are constantly trying to improve the forum for our members and visitors.

Oc and the laws

Beretta-m9

Hi everyone.
I have been a hunter and around guns most of my life. I had only shot a pistol a few times until recently when I traded a rifle for a pistol. This lead me to wanting to carry so I studied up the laws and lingered on these forums until I felt comfortable enough to venture out into the world.
So I have been oc'ing in my area for about 2 months now. The experience has been great and has taught me tons. I have carried in stores, gas stations, banks and just for walks around town and such. But as anyone who has actually spent time oc'ing knows you will find a few things you may not like.
First I found myself unable to carry on the bike trail near me do to law restrictions Wisconsin Stat. § 29.089. I have found myself handling my weapon far more then I would like because of the vehichle law restrictions Wisconsin Stat. § 167.31. I have also found myself not carrying in far to many places because of gfsz restrictions Wisconsin Stat. § 948.605. I have also found the state building laws restricting me when I'm at the library Wisconsin Stat. § 941.235.
I really did not consider the laws restrictive because I only hunted. Even though I knew the laws they simply just did not effect my way of life. Now that I have spent time oc'ing I understand how restrictive these laws are to people trying to be prepared in the case of an emergency. I am completely on board with WCI and what they are about.
I know this is a long story but I hoped people would see that even though I am a hunter and have had guns around me all my life it really wasn't until I carried a gun in normal day life did I understand the restrictions on the laws I already knew.

I am all for ccw but I think the others listed above are more important to the oc movement. Honestly I would rather be able to carry in my car then ccw, it would allow me to carry much more often, as would the others. The ccw only allows me to carry in those same place just hidden, not really as helpful in my ability to carry.

M

McX

CC is ok in weather requiring heavy clothing, the fault becomes apparent, at least to me when i don my summer apparel; shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt. kinda hard not to pattern at the minimum, and i aint got time to dance that dance, i need my open carry, especially at the shop. i'm just not the type to wear jacket, to guarentee CC. others thoughts are welcome on this one.

Doug Huffman

Banned
Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin,
CC is ok in weather requiring heavy clothing, the fault becomes apparent, at least to me when i don my summer apparel; shorts, flip flops, and a t-shirt. kinda hard not to pattern at the minimum, and i aint got time to dance that dance, i need my open carry, especially at the shop. i'm just not the type to wear jacket, to guarentee CC. others thoughts are welcome on this one.
"Brandishing" and "Patterning" are just other infringements that will be obviated by Constitutional Carry with repeal of § 941.23.

That said, I CCW'd from 1996 in coastal SC, in shorts and - oh, I don't know - a guayabera just fine. On my bicycle, just fine. At the beach, just fine.

So, let's put thoughts of, or even mentioning, brandishing and patterning out of our minds. We got enough drama showing our divisions to the anti-gun lurkers. Think before you mash [Submit Reply], OK?

M

McX

"Brandishing" and "Patterning" are just other infringements that will be obviated by Constitutional Carry with repeal of § 941.23.

That said, I CCW'd from 1996 in coastal SC, in shorts and - oh, I don't know - a guayabera just fine. On my bicycle, just fine. At the beach, just fine.

So, let's put thoughts of, or even mentioning, brandishing and patterning out of our minds. We got enough drama showing our divisions to the anti-gun lurkers. Think before you mash [Submit Reply], OK?

the Dougster hath spoken, and i am in agreement.

LR Yote 312

I ll be honest in saying when I first came across OC'ing I was really all for CC.
So I spent some time OC'ing.
Didnt take very long and I found I like the idea of it a bit more over CC and its permit based system where I would have to submit to the State requirements of registration to be able to use the 2A Rights I was born with.

And wouldnt ya know it along comes Constitutional Carry....which makes the most sense to me yet.

Having said that and a recent encounter with the Local PD, I feel there are some cities that still have a long way to go to accept the idea of OC by a LAC.
Not all PD's are on the same page of others in this State and are friendly to OC'ers.

Best advice or fair warning to somebody relatively new to OC'ing in Wi. I can offer is:

Expect to be stopped,cuffed and questioned at some point in time or another.

LR Yote

MKEgal

Having said that and a recent encounter with the Local PD, I feel there are some cities that still have a long way to go to accept the idea of OC by a LAC.
Not all PD's are on the same page of others in this State and are friendly to OC'ers.

Best advice or fair warning to somebody relatively new to OC'ing in Wi. I can offer is:
Expect to be stopped,cuffed and questioned at some point in time or another.

Sounds like you had an Interesting Experience (TM). Care to share?